Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Looking to do a maintenance on my hobie style furler - looking for input  Bottom

• Hi there, my 6.0 has a hobie style furler
    i purchased a rebuild kit
    is there a step by step guide anywhere?
  • Yes there is.

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=106757

Edited by pknapp66 on Jul 22, 2019 - 09:40 AM.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • awesome - thanks Pete!
  • My kit came with only one race. I was in a hurry and never bothered to call the supplier. Instead, I just used one of the old races by turning it around to the unused side, cleaning up some residue with steel wool.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Good call Bill
    My 6.0 is in the way back yard (way too hot to sail a grey boat in florida summers)

I plan to try this furler on my 5.5 and to set up an adjustable jib downhaul with it (as it has a hollow center that a line can run through)
  • mattsonMy kit came with only one race. I was in a hurry and never bothered to call the supplier. Instead, I just used one of the old races by turning it around to the unused side, cleaning up some residue with steel wool.

Andrew, I made that album when I rebuilt a furler that Low Life, (you know who, sold me as being in excellent shape).
    Bill’s comment is bang on. I meant to add that to the captions. The race is the expensive part, & as Bill alluded to can be flipped. Only one side of the race sees a load & wears.
    If you do go with the Hobie furler, have a look when you install it, with regards to which way you wind the jib. They only go on one way.
    The furler & jib don’t care, but the drum is not an open concept, like the Mystere, or the Harken. The furling line exits from a little hole that is offset. If you do it the wrong direction the line will ride against the plastic cover & eat its way into the plastic..
    Notice that if you are really keen, you can buy 10,000 of these bearings, & fix every furler in the USA! icon_eek
    https://www.vxb.com/Loose…ge=1&f-0.125%20Inch=1140

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 22, 2019 - 11:03 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteIf you do go with the Hobie furler, have a look when you install it, with regards to which way you wind the jib. They only go on one way.

good call-out thanks!
  • One more note...

If you think you can stretch some life out of the old furler by disassembling it and lubricating it, and you dissemble it in the backyard, and the bearings fall out and roll off a table into the dirt, and you go get a powerful magnet from the garage, and sweep the dirt to try and find them, you won't because they are non ferrous stainless steel.

Don't ask how I know this. I just do.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Quoteand the bearings fall out and roll off a table into the dirt, and you go get a powerful magnet from the garage, and sweep the dirt to try and find them

haha

Thanks Bill: NO PROBLEMo` - Ed gave me a link for 10,000 bearings .... i am certain i can find enough even if i do this on the space shuttle during lift off

anyone care to go in 1/2 with me on 10,000 balls?
    jojo

QuoteNotice that if you are really keen, you can buy 10,000 of these bearings, & fix every furler in the USA!
    https://www.vxb.com/Loose…ge=1&f-0.125%20Inch=1140
  • thanks all
    that was easy

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.