Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Toughest 16ft beach cat?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• boogalooToughness is my primary concern, other issues like performance and parts availability are secondary (though also important). The Prindle 16 sounds like a natural choice, but I may run across deals on other less common boats. With this in mind is there anything I should avoid?

boogaloo, really all the recreational or "classic" beachcats were originally tough as nails, but low price 30 year old fiberglass boats will have various problems. Sometimes a $500 boat can be the most expensive thing you can buy!

DanBerger gave a nice outline of popular boats and their issues. But to give you specific advice or help find a boat we need to know
    • where you will be sailing,
    • your experience level, and
    • total crew weight expected on the boat.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I can't believe nobody mentioned the Getaway. Tough stable and fun, I sold mine but much prefer to a Hobie 16, which I owned before. Now I'm sailing a h21.
  • DamonLinkousSometimes a $500 boat can be the most expensive thing you can buy![/list]

Very true. If one does chose to go down the "$500 boat" path, remember what you paid for it and see it for what it is. A beach toy that may have a limited life so enjoy it, patch what you must and sail it until it just cant be patched anymore. More than anything, understand that it should not be considered reliable, don't go sailing offshore or putting yourself in a position that when it does fail (notice the "when") you're not put in danger.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • QuoteGetaway

It's not a 16' catamaran
  • Hobie quotes it at 17'

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • kevinlbatchelorI can't believe nobody mentioned the Getaway. Tough stable and fun, I sold mine but much prefer to a Hobie 16, which I owned before. Now I'm sailing a h21.

OP said they were looking for "cheap, older boat". Getaway's are still a solid 4-5+k around me. At that price point there are so many options.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Getaway!
  • traphappyGetaway!

lol
  • I would go with the H16, huge used market, parts availability, built solid, easy to rig, not difficult to work on, and you can find really nice ones from say, $1500.00 to $3000.00 range in really top condition, or cheaper if you want a beater. The plus side also is the fact that they still make the things so.... keep on sailin’

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.