Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA 5.8 Mast  Bottom

• I hava a Nacra 5.8 that I want to ship via a 20' shipping container (going from New England to my place in Europe). Obviously the mast, at 30 feet, is too long. Has anyone successfully segmented the mast and made it a 2-piece? if so, would you be willing to share your technique?
  • I made a move across the US once, they wanted about $4500 to load the Prindle 18 into the moving van and take it x-country... sold the boat, and bought another one when I got to my new location.

To me this made better economical sense... Or hook up with a freight forwarding company where they could get it into a 40' container..

As for making your 5.8 mast a two piece mast.... never seen this down with any beach cat... must be a reason for it.

Where in the EU are you headed?

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • My 5.7 and trailer were moved by Aerojet from Ohio to California back about 1990. I never really thought about the cost since it was a corporate move, but it would have probably paid for a boat n California. Only problem is corporate reimbursement does not have incentives by paying for what you don't move.

I agree with JohnES that if you sell your boat before moving, and buy one in Europe, you'd be ahead compared to moving, even with relatively higher prices in the EU. No way is it going to work out to cut a mast in half. You seem like the adventurous type. How about sailing it?

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • QuoteYou seem like the adventurous type. How about sailing it?

icon_lol icon_lol
    Tom is my kind of problem solver.

My vote is for selling and buying a new one in Europe. Financially it doesn't make sense.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • what is the measurement corner to corner of the shipping container
  • you can also remove the head and base if it is needed if the corner to corner is close
  • It won't be close. If I remember right standard shipping containers are 8' wide and 8.5' tall.
    He's short 10'. Remember, the container dimensions are external dimensions.
    If I remember my trigonometry correctly (I wasn't actually paying attention), that means the maximum diagonal is only a hair over 23' using the external dimensions.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • he would need at least a 40ft box. I wonder what a 40ft would cost vs a 20ft. the other thing about the 40ft box is you can load boat, trailer, and other stuff to make it more economical

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • JohnES
    As for making your 5.8 mast a two piece mast.... never seen this down with any beach cat... must be a reason for it. ?

In N America it is virtually unheard of. Much more common in Europe. Almost all Dart 15s were shipped with optional 2 piece masts. Many sailors cartopped their boats, in order to pull a travel trailer to events, they have a well established racing circuit.
    Quite a few venues involved ferries, which charge by length. The 2 pc made ferry travel cheaper.
    The downside is added weight, about 2.5kg for the Dart mast. The “plug” that joins the halves is also another potential leak.
    In my experience, none of the bigger cats use a 2pc, but it is common on smaller boats, especially mono hulls.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteHas anyone successfully segmented the mast and made it a 2-piece? if so, would you be willing to share your technique?

My friend has JUST added length to his mast
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132034&g2_serialNumber=3

Backstory - his gcat turbo (f16/5.0) was struck by lightning last month
    he purchased a supercat 17 that had a h18 mast on it
    he didn't like it so he took his wing mast from the gcat and had our welder friend .... well you can see what he did
  • No problem to splice a cut down mast. It will actually be stronger than before, without losing quality. You just need a 2 ft stump of the same section to use as inside sleeve. Geoff Dobbs at the Yahoo TornadoCat group, has given all details. I have documented all info from him and will put a instruction together, when there is time.

I am at the moment preparing for splicing a Goodall F18 mast. Some info in my Facebook group Frankenfoil. .https://www.facebook.com/…malink/2611140602263755/

Edited by revintage on Aug 14, 2019 - 05:00 PM.

--
    Brgds
    Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
    Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
    --
  • Geoff sailed successfully with a spliced Tornado mast when he was active and head of Sail Craft Canada.
    He is also an Aeronautical Engineer, earlier specialized in airplane joints with rivets.

Splicing a 5.8mast will be much easier, than splicing the F18 section shown in my FB group, where quite a few internal webbings makes it necessary to make the sleeve in two parts. Only one sleeve has to be made here.

If I remember it right the Nacra mast only has one webbing at the front of the mast where you will have to grind the sleeve down.

If you want to be able to take the mast apart for transportation, I suggest you rivet one end, and use countersunk M5 blind nuts at the other end of the sleeve, with short M5 hex button head screws through the mast. Probably you could make M5 threads directly in the sleeve but I would suggest the blindrivets for longlivety.

--
    Brgds
    Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
    Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
    --
  • Deleted

Edited by revintage on Aug 15, 2019 - 10:33 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.