Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

HC 16: Impossible to disassemble hulls from castings  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hello Everyone icon_smile

I'm French, so please excuse my bad english...

I have a big problem: I want to replace both hulls of my old Hobie 16 with newer ones.
    The Problem is that I can't disassemble the hulls from the castings icon_mad
    I tried with a mallet, I tried a long time and hard (I have muscles - !).
    Nothing happened.
    I puted some WD40, I heatened, I even tried with a car jack... nothing happened.
    None of the castins moved from the pylons.

Please help me, any ideas ???

Thanks from here for your response,
    and good wind icon_cool
  • Did you remove the trampoline or at least loosen the tramp lacings first?

sm
  • Are the pylons epoxied into the castings?

Edited by carl2 on Jun 11, 2019 - 07:05 AM.
  • oops, double post

Edited by carl2 on Jun 11, 2019 - 07:05 AM.
  • I used a mallet that had pellets in it, myself and a friend each took a side and hit up in unison. It took a while but started moving. When I did it by myself I made almost no progress. Be careful with the car jack!
  • Thanks Carl2 and Jalex for your response !
    I don't think there is epoxy.
    Because it's not very common in France, and because I don't see traces
    of epoxy on pylons. And I tried by heaten the castaings, in case of...

Yes I'm careful with my car jack ;)

• Get a bigger mallet - hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer
  • carl2Are the pylons epoxied into the castings?Edited by carl2 on Jun 11, 2019 - 07:05 AM.

This would be my bet.
    Something sounds off. Saltwater or freshwater boat?

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Hello again !
    A bigger mallet ? are you sure MN3 ? icon_lol
    I even tried with a hammer drill to vibrate the castaing... no results.

Badfish: I'm quite sure that there's no epoxy. And I heatened it. So...
    But you're right, it's an old saltwater boat and I'm prety sure that it was never disassembled icon_frown

Thanks again for your responses and help.
  • QuoteI even tried with a hammer drill to vibrate the castaing... no results.

get a bigger hammer drill wallbash wallbash wallbash wallbash wallbash wallbash

Edited by MN3 on Jun 11, 2019 - 03:26 PM.
  • A bigger hammer drill ?
    It's completely American to want everything bigger icon_lol (It's a joke icon_wink )

You want to laugh ?
    Today I called "Hobie Cat France" and explained my problem. A very kind and polite lady told me to read the HC16 Manual icon_lol I answered her that I'm a Hobie sailor since I'm 15 (and now 50), I owned several Hobie 14 and 16 and never had so much difficult to disassemble them. To told me to send them pictures and serial number... icon_confused
    That why I put my truth in you, Guys...
  • maybe get a bigger catamaran? :)
  • Nope... I have small hands and small brain icon_razz
  • freesailsNope... I have small hands and small brain icon_razz

LOL - that is funny! thanks for playing along

Sorry i can't be more helpful - my h16 was so loose i only needed to hit it with a feather to get parts to fly off
  • MN3
    freesailsNope... I have small hands and small brain icon_razz

LOL - that is funny! thanks for playing along

Sorry i can't be more helpful - my h16 was so loose i only needed to hit it with a feather to get parts to fly off

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Being an old saltwater boat I can only picture two things.
    1-Someone applied something to join the two. JBWeld? (I'm from Texas, not sure if its as popular in France and don't know what the melting temperature would be but I've used it on engines, so....)
    2-Salt has built up and made them difficult to pull apart. I think I would try boiling a pot of water (hot water dissolves salt) and slowly pouring it over the joint so that perhaps some can seep down into it. Keep working it back and forth once you can move it any.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Is the tramp removed and the dolphin striker loosened? If you can, turn the boat upside down, and put a bunch of PB Blaster in the castings. Let it soak in, repeat. Once it' had a good soak flip it back over and put the tramp frame up on saw horses. Knock down on the hulls right where they connect to the pylons with a 2x4 with some carpet or rubber padding the ends. If you can get some downward tension on the hulls with some ratchet straps attached to the horses, all the better. In all the efforts mind you don't pull a pylon out of the hull.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • ⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆ - what he said! prost

|⬇ hammer ⬇|
  • Thanks, MN3 icon_smile

Badfish:
    I think you're right: the salt is the main responsible of the difficulties. if you add some sand and dried grease... we have a strong bond between the pieces icon_mad

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and send them to you.

I forgot to mention that when I saw how difficult it was, I removed the pop rivets to disassemble the front beam (and the dolphin striker. Funny name, in France we call it "martingale", used also for horses, clothes and games). I also disassembled the rear beam as well. I thought it would help if every hull was indépendant...

I didn't know PB Blaster. You know, I seriousely think you have in US more products (correct ?) than we have here in France. I neither known JBWeld, here we use mainly Araldite (epoxy resin).
    I'll try to find PB Blaster here (Amazon ?) or something equivalent, I'll go to the car workshop.
    Anyway, before coming on this forum, I read about lubricants. I tried to do something by mixing diluant and WD40, hoping It would penetrate.

About what you said about boiling water: I tried, but perhaps not enough... I'll try again tomorrow.
    When I heatened with a "thermal cleaner" (not sure of the translation), I didn't heatened that much, because I dont want to damage the castaings.
    What do you thing about it ? can I heaten much more ?

Anyway, thank you very much for your ideas and humour icon_wink

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.