Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Help with building a gin pole  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Quote I have mine stored upright, bought it where it is stored, and have never taken it down.

how old is your standing rigging?
  • Quotehow old is your standing rigging?

Likely original. I have yet to have a rigging failure on my past jalopies. (knock on wood). I bought the boat in January and just sail out of my club. I have a beach vacation coming up and it is coming with me. I won't have good help and want a gin pole for solo rigging on a trailer.
    QuoteDunno the N5.0 but on my mast without the fat pin, (not visible) holding it in place, it would slide off at the wrongest moment.

What I am talking about is the pin to keep the mast on the ball, not the pole on the mast. Hobie's have a pretty easy system for that. Mine is literally a ball and socket and nothing else.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Oh. I see what you're saying. The hinge pinned to the mast base is so important in my setup that I ink-marked the forward beam right next to the mast step with "lock hinge!"
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6Ub0BBQikFqJlLN_cmmFggyqKu4hSxkIV2lso00Z3u46Fazsvcinoa1rGJjHl5317KGrbZ3mz9eAtZnXSfwehWjFm4063ScCKd9kV8ZoxgHksfqgVP0NoQKSEZwFVvcKxjIERdxml0L7ojwQX44dqTIZuklnYHLtc9Rm7mupd_CrSz54eMPHCCARf3u-EArGwOF8X-gu-IGfgqboLfLE2wWfHmBZYKWkeSH_AaO0GW2xop-5PS1sZEeBtt-ZTvfsSuRMkrNPbgBjq6nOWiQiotNtrzB87EgeuPXCfDIG-bCT8W4h7mIX2qkaRSN54vws08N4bShWEcHVTpccvI-i6kMWDhUl72nqCLVF5tGc4ASRWcZMe6Q0PUsLVC2Vb1zkiyikbRBuVPbUwLewCELrkfzSC4T6KqUsYgpqiwRttBOTrVsE39IlZrIl9f-pgZesiz_6SzwPPV2XyjzyQGbzxLM2ymsFWKeczqtXVcG3KM2nQJEyr9jvy5jYThnf633_NoPNcQ1chlDfOTN3BoUl4FkaGUtu55MHzTIvl5qKmPgTHyNhL_QO402V30RrpN4BOxxKUKjhjMpdrn8DUZpHJKKHXq64hQybbQ9fqa_t3ImQu-72ongGtSHedJ_vOnHvtBRBhFgm4j7tZ43fuY6k3ugYva3dIpwE=w848-h504-no

Edited by dmydlack on May 29, 2019 - 03:54 PM.

--
    Prindle 16
    --
  • QuoteLikely original. I have yet to have a rigging failure on my past jalopies. (knock on wood)

not to be an alarmist but standing rigging should be changed every few years - esp when sailed in salt water and double esp if left out in the element and rigged

a few $100 in prevention could save you a lot more in liability (other peoples property and health) - ymmv

as pe your mast ball / i believe nacra's have to be stepped/dropped turned to it's side to allow the sides of the mast base to help keep it in place. so that is how your mast probably steps and you would need to keep the mast secured to stay on it's side the entire time/ gin pole or not - unless you have some custom mast base solution then i don't know

you will need to secure it down or you are inviting mayhem
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5fZ2sS-IqXo/maxresdefault.jpg
  • Here's a Nacra winching the mast up. https://youtu.be/sO70lkV3V8g

--
    Prindle 16
    --
  • dmydlack, Thanks for the post. If you stop the videos at 0:24 you will see the mast base. The reason one rotates a nacra mast is because of the captive mast base like that. Mine is the old version non-captive (and for $150 I can upgrade) that is no more than a teflon ball on the beam and a 1/2 sphere cup in the base. I think it will work, just getting it going may be a challenge.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.