Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie Wave rudder options  Bottom

• My Hobie Wave is missing the rudder assemblies. I know H17/H18 will fit. What other castings will fit the Hobie Wave? (perhaps not even Hobie?) I have called around looking for a used set and have been disappointed at the prices, at some of those price points I can wait it out and find a trashed out H17/H18 to cannibalize. It's a Wave guys, cheap is the name of the game.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • That's what I did. Took a long time, searching. The castings, and rudders will fit, you can cut down the tiller connector, Hobie makes a kit (1957?) for the tiller connectors. You have to buy, or maybe luckily find, the tillers from a pre 2005 Wave.

Good luck. I mean that sincerely not sarcastically. I had the time and I thought it was all fun. I took my castings all apart and rebuilt them with new cams. When it got to the boat it was better than new. icon_cool
  • I would think if you’re willing to relocate/replace the gudgeons, you could probably make just about any rudder system work. However, with the gudgeons in the factory position I believe you are correct - only the H17 style and the new EZ Lock rudders feom Hobie will fit.

sm
  • So I know H18 rudders will fit, will the old style pre-87 rudders work?

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • The lower gudgeons would need to be relocated if using the old style 18 rudder system.

sm
  • Would they? Because the wave doesn’t use a separate gudgeon pin.
    I have been trying to find a side by side comparison of old vs new lower castings.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Bottom gudgeon on the old style 18 castings gets mounted lower than on the new style. When doing the retrofit on an 18, the lower gudgeon had to be moved. I see no reason why it would be any different on a Wave. Actually, you would probably need to replace the Wave gudgeons (pintles actually) and replace them with gudgeons that use a separate rudder pin if using the old style 18 castings. I don’t think the old style 18 casting would work with a pintle due to the way the bottom of the lower casting fits around the gudgeon, it would need a separate pin.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on May 19, 2019 - 07:08 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.