Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

spinnaker retrieval line rigging tips  Bottom

• Hi All,
    Just trying to figure out a better method for my Tornado spinnaker to be retrieved and end up in the snuffer in a more smooth and uniform manner that currently occurs. What I am currently experiencing is a bunching of material that clogs the snuffer chute and then is like pulling a plug through a narrowing hole.
    Using an ULLMAN chute, has only 2 retrieval loops for the retrieval (take down)end of the halyard. The top loop is located about 8ft down form the head of the chute, the second and bottom loop is located about 15ft farther down from the first loop. Have tried to place a knot on the retrieval line about 18" inches below the top loop to grab on to the lower loop as the line is pulled in but get varying results and none that are easy...would love to hear any experienced advice and see images if possible to a good effective and simple solution?
    Cheers
    ET
  • is it new? new spins are a real pita to get in the sock
    have you tried any lube?

Sam has some Holmenkol Seal N Glide for sale on this site - https://www.thebeachcats.…menkol-seal-n-glide.html

I used it in the past - worked well but nothing will help getting a new spin head/tack/clew in the tube like use (breaking then in)

are you new to spins?
    technique is a big factor
    do you sail solo or w crew?
    do you head ddw to snuff? or is this sail for racing? (i ask because during a race you don't have the luxury of time)
    do you retrieve the halyard at the speed of light?

have you thought about a 3 patch setup?

I used a plastic stopper ball inline (between my patches) - that helped a little
  • Hi Thanks for the response and tips. to answer questions Yes its new, I'm not, I both solo & have crew, I do not head ddw but almost as to permit the chute to have a better flow line into the tube, race and sail and yes with stronger winds we have less time for fooling around with it!....I have long arms that move fast so approaching the speed of light....
    A 3 patch set up might be the answer with stopper balls on each lower patch?....I have tried this only on the upper patch, with stopper ball placed about 18 inches below the upper patch...it does seem to assist somewhat but still finding a wad clogging the flow into the tube.....thinking about a line attached to the lower patch as well with a stopper knot that placed higher up...in between the 2 patches to see if that will aid....any photos available of such a set up? that you know of?
    Do try lube but while it seems to help the tube be slippery..er its not a solution to the wadding/bunching of the sail material.....
  • Hi Thanks for the response and tips. to answer questions Yes its new, I'm not, I both solo & have crew, I do not head ddw but almost as to permit the chute to have a better flow line into the tube, also to help shelter a little bit behind the main, race and sail and yes with stronger winds we have less time for fooling around with it!....I have long arms that move fast so approaching the speed of light....
    A 3 patch set up might be the answer with stopper balls on each lower patch?....I have tried this only on the upper patch, with stopper ball placed about 18 inches below the upper patch...it does seem to assist somewhat but still finding a wad clogging the flow into the tube.....thinking about a line attached to the lower patch as well with a stopper knot that placed higher up...in between the 2 patches to see if that will aid....any photos available of such a set up? that you know of?
    Do try lube but while it seems to help the tube be slippery..er its not a solution to the wadding/bunching of the sail material.....

[quote=MN3]is it new? new spins are a real pita to get in the sock
    have you tried any lube?
  • I think a 2-patch setup would be easier than 3. Less folds of fabric going through the hoop at once. The downside is that it requires a longer snuffer bag.

You didn't mention what snuffer you are using. I've had really good luck with the SNU on my C2 (2patch) F18. No need for stopper balls. I imagine the ring radius and opening diameter would also have a big impact.

Also - we usually retrieve best on an almost beam reach and try to do it on starboard gybe (if I have a choice), The head and clew of the spinnaker stream away from the hoop a bit more and there is less tendency to bunch up.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • What he said ^

Seriously - somehow this double-posted and I can't find a way to delete it. Damon - feel free to delete this message.

Edited by rehmbo on May 08, 2019 - 05:00 PM.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • QuoteYou didn't mention what snuffer you are using. I've had really good luck with the SNU on my C2 (2patch) F18. No need for stopper balls. I imagine the ring radius and opening diameter would also have a big impact.

Yes! the snu's are very nice and i have never heard an owner not loving them.

QuoteA 3 patch set up might be the answer with stopper balls on each lower patch?.

I don't know if it is the best answer: i would try most other non-invasive ideas before i added patches

you have to experiment but u will find the plastic balls can/will interfere with a full retrieval of the sail and you may end up with some sail sticking out and no more line to pull so i don't think you can use them on all patches

I think a combo of a single ball and a "large" bowline in the halyard was the solution that worked for me.

i found even with "perfect" settings on land.. they still may need adjustment with real world use ..

if your technique is decent: my money is on a new sail that needs to break in a few times (soften the stiff multilayered parts of the sail) and i would get some lube going on the ring, bag and sail
  • MN3
    QuoteYou didn't mention what snuffer you are using. I've had really good luck with the SNU on my C2 (2patch) F18. No need for stopper balls. I imagine the ring radius and opening diameter would also have a big impact.

Yes! the snu's are very nice and i have never heard an owner not loving them.

QuoteA 3 patch set up might be the answer with stopper balls on each lower patch?.

I don't know if it is the best answer: i would try most other non-invasive ideas before i added patches

you have to experiment but u will find the plastic balls can/will interfere with a full retrieval of the sail and you may end up with some sail sticking out and no more line to pull so i don't think you can use them on all patches

I think a combo of a single ball and a "large" bowline in the halyard was the solution that worked for me.

i found even with "perfect" settings on land.. they still may need adjustment with real world use ..

if your technique is decent: my money is on a new sail that needs to break in a few times (soften the stiff multilayered parts of the sail) and i would get some lube going on the ring, bag and sail

I've always found that it's the old worn out kites that bunch up the worst. New ones are slicker than whale snot esp. when wet. I just know trying to hold a new kite collapsed because some thickheaded fool icon_rolleyes ran the halyard wrong is dammed hard to do. That's just my experience on a Infusion and C2.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • BadFish your suggestion of a large Bowline worked like a charm! Many Thanks! Its amazing how the simplest of things can make such a vast difference. The chute went in numerous times with complete ease, no bunching and with no excessive friction....lovely! Greatly appreciate your tips and comments. Looking forward to higher breezes this weekend! Will have the real world test but am anticipating only additional practice to reduce the time of take down to 3- 4seconds...!...not quite lightspeed but acceptably approaching.
    Cheers

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.