Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Used Spins  Bottom

• I am looking to tool around with mounting a used spinnaker on my Nacra 5.0 and my buddies 5.2. I found a used H16 spin for $50 that needs repair. Am I being totally foolish thinking this sail has any shape left and should spend the $ on a less used spin for $275? Or are all used spins trash? Keep in mind I am entry level into racing.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • my first spin was a Very very very used f18 spin
    it had about 200 holes in it or so (all covered with sail tape)
    I think i paid about $100 for it with a windsurfer mast as a pole and a bunch of spin gear (blocks and assorted other parts) - these all came off a Dart20

the sail was not a great fit for my boat/needs (i now fly a tornado spin) and the pole was not the right size and the line that came with it was not good / but it was fine for my first time using a spin

in the end i was glad i went that route and killed a pos sail before i dropped $100 on a pole, $500 on a ring and snuffer, $500 on decent used sail, and a couple hundred more on blocks on line

That being said: IF you can handle it ... i would probably suggest you buy both
    one to start with that you wont care when it implodes and another one to use once you get a feel for it (snuffing/tramp launching has a learning curve)

I wouldn't even think of racing with this new set up until you have mastered it - often any gains made by using a better sail plan can be lost if/when you struggle with gear i.e. having a snuffer issue, or shrimping your sail (sailing over it) can kill your time - not to mention you are now in a different racing class (spin fleet)
  • My original spinnaker sail (now 30 years old) was too difficult for me to use without crew. Since I mainly solo sail, I made my mind up not to use it and it been stored ever since.....now I have a furling setup and love it. icon_smile

Edited by bill40421SE on May 01, 2019 - 08:22 AM.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I have a seldom used spinnaker I purchased some years ago hoping it would fit my 16 Hobie but never try to install. This sail is in very nice shape. icon_wink

Luff= 29' 1"
    Leech= 26'
    Foot=14' 4"
    This sail is white and light blue

I also have my original Prosail Spinnaker from my Hobie 21SE used maybe 30 times in thirty years.....

Luff=35'
    Leech=33'
    Foot=17' 3"

This sail is white with the green Salem logo on it.

If anyone has a need for one of these spinnaker, let me know.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Hey bill what does that spin look like really deep cut? Any pictures?
    Thanks
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Check out BNR Watersports
  • rch701I am looking to tool around with mounting a used spinnaker on my Nacra 5.0 and my buddies 5.2. I found a used H16 spin for $50 that needs repair. Am I being totally foolish thinking this sail has any shape left and should spend the $ on a less used spin for $275? Or are all used spins trash? Keep in mind I am entry level into racing.

One way you can check shape, get a way to pull all three corners taught. You can check shape. Once you are done, lay the chute on the ground at once so that it will lay flat with air underneath it. See how long it takes for the air to escape. This will tell you how good the cloth is. The faster the air releases, the more "porous" it is. For $50, it may be a good starter. You will get tears in it. But, there is a diminishing return. When you go to make repairs, there will be "hard spots" in the chute because of the new material not have been stretched as the old. No matter what a sailmaker says, it will look like crap. Just accept it.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Dang Bill ... Was jealous of that curled, but yeah-need a spin, even in traditional form is better than none.

Chuck

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.