Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 Mast Rotation  Bottom

• My hobie 16 mast only rotates the way it is supposed to on 1 tack, not the other. Rig tension is normal, and I loosened it some more to be sure. Have not dropped the mast yet but maybe a deformed mast base or step? What else? Very strange, just strated doing it. Seems to almost want to counter rotate to the opposite side position
  • an h16 mast is not hard to step or drop
    i wouldn't sail it again until the issue is discover and corrected

you either have an obstruction in your system or something is preventing it from rotating that shouldn't.
    this could lead to catastrophic failure of the weakest link (shroud or mast) when enough pressure (wind) is applied
  • Is there a significant bend in the mast.
  • Also is the shroud setting the same on port and starboard ?
  • There is a bend, but it was there before I was having problems. Although I guess a bend can get worse. Not sure I would call it significant although that’s the eye of the beholder. Anyone in North Florida have a nice Non Comptip 16 mast for sale? I’m having some rudder problems as well, might be new used boat time

Edited by jalex on Apr 30, 2019 - 10:25 AM.
  • What do you mean by “only rotates the way it is supposed to on one tack?”

Does that mean it won’t physically rotate (like it’s binding)? Or that it won’t rotate on it’s own, but can be physically pushed over and then stays there? Or it can be pushed over but then when the mainsheet tension is released it counter-rotates?

A bend in the mast could certainly be a contributor, but there could be other things going on as well.

sm
  • Hmmm, I guess won’t physically rotate? I can sort of force it over but comes back to center immediately. It’s very strange
  • As I think back, it may have started right after a capsize, I was just too shook up to notice till the next day when I sailed her
  • Check how the rigging is set at the mast hound. You could have a bind up there. You do have a Teflon washer in the mast step don'tcha? Is the mast step link getting in the way?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.