Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast float bird deterrent  Bottom

• Hello all, I just got exciting news! I just got a spot at our local yacht club to store my Hobie Getaway mast up and next to the water. I have the large mast float and I know seagulls will love to decorate my boat with poop. Anyone else have any ideas or ways you kept the bird from landing on the mast float? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  • I prefer Heavy Dove loads.
    Full Disclosure, this may affect your Mast Bob's ability to do its job. icon_lol

Edited by badfish on Apr 25, 2019 - 11:51 AM.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Hahaha! I do too but I live in commiefornia!
  • place a pet bobcat up there - that will keep the birds away

what about if you somehow lubricated it so they couldn't sit up there?

small motorcycle battery attached to the float so when they land they get zapped?
  • Just replace the mast float with one of those lifelike plastic owls they have at Home Depot. It probably has enough floatation to work
  • On a serious note though, I think you're better off focusing on protecting the topside than keeping them off in the first place. Invest in a quality mast up cover. Serves two purposes. 1 keep the nasty stuff off the boat and 2 protecting the boat from the sun.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • You could probably put a spike strip on the float. One row down the center would do. It would look like a mohawk.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Just strap one of these on.
    https://tacoma.bibliocommons.com/events/uploads/images/full/240c9819bfe6188e04d8b68f02432209/Roberto%20the%20Magnificent%20Spiked%20Helmet%20email%209x7%20(2).jpg

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • How about getting one of those fake plastic owls and tying it to the halyard and hoisting it up the mast when not in use?

sm
  • DogboyHow about getting one of those fake plastic owls and tying it to the halyard and hoisting it up the mast when not in use?

sm

Perhaps a bat. Since owls aren’t known for hanging out upside down.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Could you stick a Davis Windex on top?

Edited by gahamby on Apr 28, 2019 - 07:02 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Seize a pair of mast track slugs on to a length of aluminum rod. Have an offset bent into the rod to go around the mast float with the slugs in the track. Attach a bird deterrent device to the top of the rod. Attach the main halyard to the rod.
    Hoist up for storage. If you use an Aussie ring, tie a trip line to the top of the ring so you can get it down. You might need it in any event to pull the rig back down.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.