Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dauphin Island Race 2019  Bottom

• I am planning on registering my Nacra 5.0 for the 20 mile run down Mobile Bay. Any other cat sailors in the area coming out? Seems like there are usually 5-8 cats out there.

Any advice for packing for the voyage? What are the must haves vs. nice to have? Thanks.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • USCG JUST (today) released it's report on the 2015 DI race (where 5 died and 1 is still missing)

Safety Recommendation Summary:
    • US Sailing to amend rules to require PFDs to be worn at all times.
    • US Sailing to amend rules to require handheld VHF radio in the cockpit.
    • US Sailing to amend rules to require every boat to check-in prior to start with crew on deck, wearing PFDs, and displaying handheld VHF radio.
    • US Sailing to amend rules to require every boat to submit finalized crew list prior to start of race.
    • Additional recommendations were directed toward changes in the permitting of regattas by the USCG.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/USCG.pdf
  • It isn't a difficult race. Biggest thing is to make sure you have a GPS and follow the race instructions. You are not allowed to cross the ship channel anywhere but as specified in the SIs'.

One of the biggest problems is that there really isn't a good beach, so don't plan on just sailing out to the island, you'll probably have to sail back as well.

Gear on board; nothing out of the normal. I've sailed drifters, upwind, reaches... there doesn't seem to be a typical weather pattern for the race.

Also, expect the sail out to the course to take longer than you think it will.
  • MN3USCG JUST (today) released it's report on the 2015 DI race (where 5 died and 1 is still missing)

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/USCG.pdf

I was in that one... had we been five minutes slower getting back to the beach, it would have been a very different day for us. All of the discussions about the forecast don't mention what we saw on the NOAA marine forecast just before leaving the beach, "chance of thunderstorms". They didn't update it until well after the start, at which point there was no way for us to easily check the forecast. I had my phone in a dry bag in my life jacket, but I don't pull it out unless we have a reason. About the time we got back to the middle bay light, we heard thunder, pulled up the radar and made sure to keep our foot on the gas.

Here is a great breakdown of the forecasts for that day, he covers the discrepancies: https://www.lakeeriewx.com/CaseStudies/DauphinIslandRace/Introduction.html
  • QuoteI was in that one... had we been five minutes slower getting back to the beach, it would have been a very different day for us.

wow~! #&!*
    glad you were five min faster - yikes

QuoteI had my phone in a dry bag in my life jacket, but I don't pull it out unless we have a reason. About the time we got back to the middle bay light, we heard thunder, pulled up the radar and made sure to keep our foot on the gas.

One of the main recommendations was to change the rules of sailing and require a vhf on a lanyard

makes a good case to carry a vhf on a distance race - or distance cruise

we have had some real crazy storms blow through races. i sailed in 45... wasn't my idea of fun
    i can't imagine being in 70-80

Edited by MN3 on Apr 16, 2019 - 05:55 PM.
  • That stuff is the very reason I carry a VHF. It's ingrained into me just through captaining the tow boat for years

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • I have raced it in years past on an H18 and several keel boats. Back then I just had a life jacket and mechanic gloves.

I have a VHF handheld, 10L dry bag, cell phone dry bag, water bottles, granola bars, gloves and life jackets w/ whistles for me and crew. I'll see about mounting a compass to the boat. I do not have a GPS. I plan on hot shotting down to the island and making a u-turn back. I am having to get a babysitter and the sooner I'm home the cheaper the race is. There is enough beach nearby to camp on. Maybe next year.

--
    --
  • most racers wont: but i carry an anchor at all times

it can be a boat and life saver in a capsize (can stop the boat from taking off on it's side and stranding the skip/crew in the water, and can be very helpful getting bows into the wind for righting)
  • Quote i carry an anchor at all times

I have a folding 3lb grapnel anchor like this https://express.google.co…PmgmxEAkYASABEgK5efD_BwE
    I can tote with me. Not sure of its effectiveness for sand and mud. I also have a 4lb danforth, but I hate having pointy things on a boat. Should I invest in a mushroom?

--
    --
  • where I sail (tampa gulf area) :the gravel anchor wont grab nor hold

i have never used a mushroom one but i can't believe it will hold my cat in a real blow - i've seen guys thrown around in shallows hanging on to a boat

i carry a lightweight alum danforth FORTRESS MODEL FX-7
    http://fortressanchors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/fortress-anchor-single.jpg
    I put it in my extra large tramp bag but i used to have a small lugage style carry-on bag that was pretty tough. the entire body of the anchor fit in it perfect - it was lashed to the front beam. a small plastic clip on a leash -attached to the beam makes keeping the line out of the watrer

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.