Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cat Trax For Nacra 5.0 Dimension Check  Bottom

• So the planets aligned and I came across a set of "real" Cat Trax locally at a "reasonable" price (very rare in my parts). Everything looks great except the fit. The hull cradles appear to be of the larger type which is no problem although I would prefer the smaller cradles as they fit better and provide a little more stability as in no waddle when moving the boat. The cradles are centered on 86" and my 5.0 hulls center on 84" so my thought was to move the cradles in an inch on each side. Doing some detailed inspection and measuring I find that if I move the cradles in an inch they will interfere with the tires. This seemed very odd relative to other sets of Cat Trax I've owned over the years so I did some more measuring.

The axle is 93.5" (7' 9") in length which is very odd as FS only sells them in nominal 7 or 8 ft. and up. This may account for the tire/cradle interference as they drill at standard dimensions from the end of the axle to get the proper cotter pin separation for the wheel.

The next thing that seems odd is the dimension between the wheels. From inside cotter pin to inside cotter pin mine measures 53". Could someone please check this dimension for me on an 8' axle version. I was expecting about 51.25" based on what I've seen in the past.

Lastly, I plan to re-carpet the cradles. Does anyone have recommendations on replacement carpet and what adhesive works well?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131166&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • you can always move the tires more towards the center. I've had to do that before. The bearings are held in place by big plastic disks and cotter pins, just reposition them.

I've bought indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes and have used contact cement and a 3M spray adhesive (easier)

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • my first set of wheels was for my h18
    after i purchased my next boat (m5.5) the wheels didn't fit
    we simply cut the tube, added a slightly larger sleeve over it and attached w bolts. problem solved, lasted for years until i sold them (second set came with new boat)

as mentioned above, you could simply drill a few holes for new location of wheel cotter pins if needed

Contact cement to replace carpet -
    i use WHATEVER i have around - nothing lasts forever so i am not soo picky

one thing i do (ok 2) to extend the life of the carpet is to flush any sand out whenever i can (after boat is off, or before boat is on). i also rinse the cradle carpet with a hose when home to get sand out (sand will scratch up your bottoms and reduce the carpet life span)
  • Thanks for the input lakewateree and MN3. Yes, I can re-drill the axle and make it all fit perfectly. Just wondering why the odd length axle and wheel spacing. Unfortunately I didn't get to speak to the original owner so I have no idea what they were setup for.

So outdoor carpet from one of the home stores and 3M spray adhesive seems like the trick. I have used contact cement (jar and brushlid version) before and it lasted perhaps a season before failing.

Big major +1 on the desanding of the cradles. I only want 100 grit sandpaper on my hulls when I put it there intentionally. I also rinse the trailer cradles.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • MUCH (much) more importantly ...
    I never even heard of JD Honey .... hmmmm
  • The OEM instructions are not much help, but this is all I got with the set I bought for the 5.7.
    https://static.hobiecat.c…_attachments/1626z52.pdf As mentioned, moving the wheel position is pretty easy if you drill straight.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • MN3MUCH (much) more importantly ...
    I never even heard of JD Honey .... hmmmm

Nice for sipping...

https://www.jackdaniels.c…/whiskey/tennessee-honey

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Anyone have a jig/technique for drilling all the holes in the same vertical plane and centered?

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Here ya go.
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41r8%2BsrkPJL.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/gp…le_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhuHere ya go.

I have (and love) the Big Gator for drilling round stock by hand which centers the hole side to side. I'm looking for a jig/technique to keep all the holes for the cradles in the same plane such that one cradle isn't at an angle relative to the other one. In other words you can't have (exaggerating) one cradle at 12 o'clock and the other at 1 o'clock viewing from the end of the axle.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Laser.

--
    Prindle 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.