Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hydroturf: flat/smooth or molded diamond?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Does anyone know if the flat/smooth hydroturf is what is being used on the Nacras and Falcons these days. Or just as importantly, how durable is the flat/smooth hydroturf, and how much traction does it give relative to molded diamond? This will be for an I20. Thanks!
  • Cannot help on the Nacra or Falcon question, but if you want to (or end up) go(ing) with the diamond cut, I can tell you that I applied it to my Supercat 3 years ago and it looks like new, and has zero area of pull up.
    I cleaned the area real well prior to wiping down the area with acetone. Then applied it. I am very pleased with it.
    My cat stays out on the beach without cover from April 1st to November 15th or so. I cover it in the winter, but it stays outside.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Thanks Windwarddle! I found some other threads, and it seems that the smooth is used a lot as well, suggesting it is durable. Hey, did you use the 3M adhesive backing or layout your own contact cement? Thanks!
  • The last falcon I saw had hydroturf that was like grooved stripes. I took a thin yoga mat that’s smooth and glued it down and it has all the traction I need to trapeze but for sure the waffle texture has more grip but can get torn up easier. So far it’s lasted over a year on a boat that’s uncovered and exposed to the sun 24/7. Cost about 10 bucks
  • Preference for the diamond.
    No reason other than aesthetics.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • QuoteThanks Windwarddle! I found some other threads, and it seems that the smooth is used a lot as well, suggesting it is durable. Hey, did you use the 3M adhesive backing or layout your own contact cement? Thanks!

I used the 3M backing. The layout was a helluva lot easier than the weird single piece I used around my Sunfish cockpit. That was a weird layout and i had to be very careful when sticking it down. The Supercat was almost a rectangle and on the hull tops where it was easily laid down and located.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • QuoteSo far it’s lasted over a year on a boat that’s uncovered and exposed to the sun 24/7

Tanumpower1 - I know the weather is nice in FL, especially this time of year, but no need to rub it in with the sun comment as I am pretty sure you don't have 24/7 sun!
    All the best

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • I bought the diamond cut gray Hydroturf from a member here and applied it directly to the Nacra 5.7 decks without sanding. It lays over the sides of the hull a couple inches. No pull-up or problem. Stays clean and is a lot more comfortable. One of these days I'll have to do the forward bow decks.

https://i.imgur.com/ip9vhvz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WfwmFmA.jpg

Edited by tominpa on Feb 26, 2019 - 06:54 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Looks good tominpa. Thanks for the information. I too am looking to buy some light grey molded diamond hydroturf if someone has some they are looking to sell. I'm in the DE/NJ area.
  • Im a dealer for it and can offer a catamaran community price. They 3M backing is by far the best way to go in my opinion. I like the smooth texture as it’s a little bit easier to make a very clean install especially if you have to use two pieces.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Bought some of both for my 2000 I20. Like the diamond cut better.

Worked on trying to put it on last year. Made a template for the port hull with heavy paper and tape. Cut the stuff with a carpet knife. Flipped the template over for the starboard hull and found it was off by enough that I couldn't use it. Hulls of that vintage are not symmetrical. Didn't have time so to do the template before leaving on a trip....sot it remains in my garage...another half finished project. Hopefully I'll get to it sometime before the snow melts.

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --
  • Thanks Steve! I read on another thread where samc99us suggested to make a rough cut larger than the template, then lay it down and cut to exact size when on the boat. Falcon Marine recommends using a mat cutter to get a nice angled on the cut if you like. I've also seen some videos on youtube where folks use EVA foam for theatre costumes and recommend using a super sharp blade at a 45 degree angle when working with this stuff. I am probably overthinking it all, but the high price of the materials along with other boat projects suggests having a good plan. Thanks all!

Edited by traphappy on Feb 26, 2019 - 10:12 PM.
  • Used a straight edge on the cut and played with medium coarse sanding pad to get the edge angle. Worked pretty well and was controllable. YouTube guy used a grinder but he probably does it for a living.

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --
  • My experience with the mat cutter was pretty mediocre (I used the xacto brand one as I've had good luck with there products in the past). There is probably a better tool out there but I am pretty handy with an x-acto knife from my model airplane days. If you get a friend to hold a straight edge then you can run this down at a 45 degree angle for the finish cuts. A sanding pad would work too, or a grinder but I agree with Steve that is a pro move and one slip would leave a nasty scar!

The other trick we found was its simpler just to measure and cut on our hulls rather than get carried away with a template. I think the newer boats are symmetric but its just not worth the time with very little compound curvature in the areas that are getting covered. Nacra also make kits for a few of their newer models which I think are relatively reasonably priced given the raw cost of the hydroturf and your time to cut it to shape.

I'll have to get the brand of hydroturf we used last on the A-Cat as it looks really good, but you want the lower aspect diamonds as the high aspect cuts can tear easily at the edges of the diamond pattern.
  • I would also check out Seadek, they are located in central Florida and it comes with a 3m adhesive backing. They have many colors, designs and surfaces to choose from. I have used it on 2 nacra F18s, 1 nacra 20 and a Hobie Tiger. They will also sell clear template material if you need it. Not having to apply adhesive to the boat and material not only saves a great deal of time but makes the job easier and cleaner.
  • Diamond cut, bright colors, 3M backing, buy a roll, cut "wide", then trim straight on the boat, sand to angle after trim icon_smile --

I've seen them both appear to last forever (on other people's boats) and nick, scratch and peel off (on my boats). No cowboy spurs on my neoprene booties, I swear. But I sail my boats hard, plus sand, salt and FL sun. Given the aggression they endure, I think they're ok.

Intrigued by seadeck, but have not tried it yet.
  • Brand was hydroturf, if Bach is a dealer go through him.

There is a european brand that is cheaper and it looks it (older eXploders shipped with it). It tears and peels easily (its very hard to beat 3M backing!!). I also glued all my edges with Super Glue and while there have been some tearouts here and there on the job I did back in 2013 after 6 years it looks pretty good! Folks thought I had a new boat when I showed up with that on the old girl haha.
  • I've had both. Prefer the diamond pattern. The more sipes the better. Smooth tends to hydroplane if you need a quick landing and it's wet.
  • A rubber bicycle tire tread would be about perfect. Not a road or motor cross but something in between. And that type soft rubber. Hydro turf to me seems a little soft but works.
  • bachoIm a dealer for it and can offer a catamaran community price. They 3M backing is by far the best way to go in my opinion. I like the smooth texture as it’s a little bit easier to make a very clean install especially if you have to use two pieces.

Give me a shout please

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.