Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

West of West  Bottom

• There is a Amazon Prime show about the Channel Islands that many here may enjoy watching... and yes, it does get that windy icon_cool Oh! We do have a few races here that go around these islands if you're interested...

http://www.thecifilm.com/

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thanks, just watched the first episode. Susrprised to hear Joe Walsh narrating.
  • Back in March 2016, we saw a screening of 8 or so episodes back-to-back at the Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara. I had a business associate who was going, and I figured we would meet up once in the theater as the subject matter would interest just the few who frequent the islands. As it is, the place was completely sold out.

By the way, Joe Walsh has a long history with Santa Cruz Island going back to the 70s:

https://www.islapedia.com…dex.php?title=WALSH,_Joe

We attended a Feast of the Holy Cross celebration at the central valley ranch on the island (referenced in the link), where he played hymns on a guitar

In one of the West of West episodes there is a hilarious segment of him with a catholic priest (or possibly a bishop) where the priest makes repeated references to one of his favorite songs, calling it "California Hotel". After a pause of 5 or so seconds, Joe corrects him by quietly saying. "Hotel California" before the scene cuts.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Quotehttp://www.thecifilm.com/

Thanks, I'll be watching that, I was born there! Oxnard, CA

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    Quotehttp://www.thecifilm.com/

I never knew that Damon.... place has certainly changed... You should make a pilgrimage soon icon_smile

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • JohnES
    DamonLinkous
    Quotehttp://www.thecifilm.com/

I never knew that Damon.... place has certainly changed... You should make a pilgrimage soon icon_smile

I was brought home from the Port Hueneme Naval Hospital to the tiny one-story 4 unit apartment at 1000 Ocean Dr., corner of Ocean Dr. and Pasadena Av.

I love the fact that it's still there, surfboard on the porch, right across the street from the ocean. My Mom and Dad were a young Navy couple struggling with the high $50 a month rent.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/files/1000-Ocean-Dr-Oxnard-CA.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkousThanks, I'll be watching that, I was born there! Oxnard, CA

Oxnard is the first place I ever sailed (1980)! I was 18 and visiting friends who lived a few blocks off the beach. Swore then that I'd learn to sail....borrowed money for a little monohull & a copy of Alan Brown's Invitation To Sailing and taught myself as soon as I graduated college.

The rest of the Oxnard story....
    That visit was sort of a coming of age eye opener for me.....many things I'll never forget. A bunch of my friends' friends were crazy liveaboards, off-shore workers, etc., and I never partied so hard in my life (on a cheesy fake ID that no one seemed to notice). It was the first time I ever saw someone fire up a doobie right there at the table after lunch on a restaurant patio. One night the revelry ended with a gal in our group winning the wet T-shirt contest at the Ban-Dar(?)....and I fell in love. Next day was the worst hangover I ever had and they put an "authentic" green chicken/guac burrito in front of me.....I nearly puked at the sight. (Opted for some Tex-Mex and a milk shake.) At the time, the liveaboards were in a fight with the government over some onerous boat inspection requirements or such, and this was the court date. So looking and feeling our best (ala Arlo Guthrie) we all went to the county courthouse to participate in the civic process and show our support. I clearly remember seeing the liveaboards' spokesman as he stood to plead their case......big hair, giant beard, and a Dr. Zoggs Sex Wax T-shirt...…

That was a lot of strange sh!$ for a boy who grew up in the Mississippi Delta!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteThat was a lot of strange sh!$ for a boy who grew up in the Mississippi Delta!

sounds like a chapter out of a Hunter S. Thompson's novel (aka:fun)
  • rattlenhum
    Oxnard is the first place I ever sailed (1980)! I was 18 and visiting friends who lived a few blocks off the beach.

One night the revelry ended with a gal in our group winning the wet T-shirt contest at the Ban-Dar(?)....and I fell in love. Next day was the worst hangover I ever had and they put an "authentic" green chicken/guac burrito in front of me.....I nearly puked at the sight. (Opted for some Tex-Mex and a milk shake.) At the time, the liveaboards were in a fight with the government over some onerous boat inspection requirements or such, and this was the court date. So looking and feeling our best (ala Arlo Guthrie) we all went to the county courthouse to participate in the civic process and show our support. I clearly remember seeing the liveaboards' spokesman as he stood to plead their case......big hair, giant beard, and a Dr. Zoggs Sex Wax T-shirt...…

That was a lot of strange sh!$ for a boy who grew up in the Mississippi Delta!

You were the at the height of Hobie Beach... good times...

The Ban-Dar... now that is bringing back some memories...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.