Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Riveting for beginners  Bottom

• This lady has a YouTube channel with tons of videos on home improvement topics that are very beginner-friendly. I noticed that she has one on riveting that is likely too basic for many of you, but could be helpful to someone who is new to sailing:

https://youtu.be/bpyPQ0kvGyo

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • Some of the best advice I've read here is to also use Tef-gel or similar compound to isolate stainless rivets from aluminum. This prevents galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals.
  • Great basic video overall, but the way she changes her grip 2:25 - 2:29 from around both handles to around top handle only is a major league no no as in knuckle crusher. How do I know, crushed knuckles. She's pulling 1/8" aluminum rivets which pull MUCH easier than 3/16" stainless steel rivets commonly used on cats.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Oh, and if you buy the Harbor Freight pneumatic rivet gun, use way less hydraulic fluid than they imply/state-man what a mess! But, for the manager price, it works great. Also found Albany Fasteners great to deal with when looking for sealed rivets in stainless and aluminum. Haven't found monel rivets yet.

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.

Upcoming Beachcats Events

VIEW FULL CALENDAR