Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Another grass is always greener, not really a question post  Bottom

• My 84 H16 is has rock solid hulls but due for a bottom job, mast got slightly bent recently, jib system is due for replacement. Just had the epoxy job done to the tramp frame to fix some major flex and it worked well. Have a boat load of spare parts and sails. Good Harken 6:1, good sails, good tramp, recent standing rigging. Rudders are lexan and castings are so so. When do you guys decided to keep replacing parts and when do you decide to move to a new(used) boat? By the time I do everything I want I will be looking at the price of a mid 90's H16. I also thought of moving to a good condition Prindle 18 since I have put on some weight, but feel like I am sacrificing a large inventory of used parts that I have accumulated.
  • i moved from a h16 to a h18 and loved it
    then i moved to a 5.5 (basically a f18) and it was really amazing
  • jalexWhen do you guys decided to keep replacing parts and when do you decide to move to a new(used) boat?

The extra parts make the H16 more attractive to a potential buyer.
    I moved at the exact point you are now.
    I had a P16 with a boatload (sorry) of extra parts and moved to a P18-2.
    I loved my 16, but never looked back.
    Once you step out of the H16 time capsule and onto a Hobie/Prindle/NACRA 18 foot-ish cat, you will be amazed.
    And you will enjoy sailing even more.
    My $0.02

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • The H16 is an icon. Large(r) fleets, all over the place of one design racing ... H16. You get a portion of that by racing in the F18 class but I think the H16 is still king in that area.

Since "better" is always a matter of perspective, I will just say there are a bunch of boats out there that are well along in the evolutionary design process as they relate to the H16. We can get into hull form, buoyancy, weight, etc, but the most obvious is flying of spinnakers from many of the more 'modern' boats out there today.

In the end, its about who you want to sail/race with and what kind of sailing/racing that you want to do. I was still sailing my H14 when my buddy upgraded to a Nacra 5.8. It didn't take long to realize that "sailing together" was not an option if I didn't move to a different boat.

Personally, I am glad I did when I bought the Tiger. Spinnaker sailing is both challenging and exciting. Unfortunately, I was at the SoL Race several years ago and saw my first F16 Viper. I now own two F16s and likely have found the right boat to finish up my sailing career as I enjoy my 'later' years.

I say sell it all to someone who is going to use it, enjoy it and find something that is a hoot to sail downwind.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • dssaakSince "better" is always a matter of perspective

Massively true! Everybody has different wants and needs. I loved my Spirit 17 when I sailed it, and my H18, and my F18... and now that I'm bringing a 30' Malcolm Tennant T9 cat back to life, I can hardly wait to sail it! Perspective is everything, and everyone has their own unique perspective. I'm really looking forward to exploring California's Sacramento/San Joaquin estuary and the Bay Area in a boat that has some shelter, decent sleeping arrangements, and a basic galley. On the big boat, I'll miss the easy set-up of a beach-cat, but I'm trading cash for a slip, in hopes of getting on the water more.

Of course, I'll keep at least one beach cat for quick sailing on local lakes!

dssaakIn the end, its about who you want to sail/race with and what kind of sailing/racing that you want to do.

Even more true. I haven't really got into formal racing, though I do love the enthusiasm of those who do. For more casual sailing, I just desire quick setup and a fun sail. My H18 provides that in spades, and with robust hulls that I'm not worried about scuffing. The F18 is a bit slower to rig, and a little more delicate, and that has proven thus far to make me less willing to singlehand, so I'm sailing less frequently with the F18 than I did with the H18. I rented mast-up storage for one boat at the lake, which helps reduce setup for whatever boat stays there. Right now that's the F18.

I love sailing the Tiger slightly more than I love sailing the H18 (spinnakers are fun!), but I like setting up the H18 quickly significantly more than I like the F18's more involved setup. I haven't given up on either yet, but I'm not sure I want to register and maintain three boats and three trailers, and I have the possibility of storing only two at my house. Decisions, decisions. :p

In all boats, I've bought well-used and paid well under replacement values, so indecision doesn't hurt as much as it would had I thrown my wallet at shiny-new showroom models.

YMMV,

Randii
  • After three Hobie 16's (plus other monos) I left sailing for about 8 years due to severe injuries to both rotator cuffs. The injuries left me VERY depressed as I thought I would never sail again so I sold all my boats and gear in a fit of anger, just wanted the s..beep..t out of my sight. By a miracle the cuffs mended to the point that I thought well maybe just a SunFish or something might be OK, not to hard on things and I started looking at classifieds for a boat. Low and behold, in my local Craigslist a 1983 Nacra 5.0 appeared, basket case and with a large whole in one hull. I had always admired the Nacras just for the racy look if nothing else. On a lark I went to look at it and from the second it saw me it started licking its eyebrows. I handed the man $200 and pulled it home. After 5 months of repairs and A LOT more $$$ I took it out for the first time 3 years ago, TRUE LOVE. The Hobie 16 is the all time icon, but if you ever try one of the Nacra's or other boats mentioned above you will NEVER look back. I personally would only go back to a Hobie 16 if I couldn't afford anything else. My take...

Edited by leeboweffect on Dec 14, 2018 - 07:49 PM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • How much extra weight will the P18 handle? I’ve sailed them but never overloaded. Recommended crew weight is about the same as the H16. My H16 is a dog with 500 lbs, will I see any improvement on the P18?
  • QuoteHow much extra weight will the P18 handle? I’ve sailed them but never overloaded. Recommended crew weight is about the same as the H16. My H16 is a dog with 500 lbs, will I see any improvement on the P18?

it can probably "handle" 6-700 lbs (but will be a dog)
    it will sail optimally with 350 (ish) (2 med sized adults whom can hike out in decent air)

the performance upgrade will not be so huge on a p18 compared to a p16
    it will be a bigger performance upgrade on an p18-2 (with additional control lines and features- centerboards)
    even more on a 19
    even more on a 19mx

Edited by MN3 on Dec 17, 2018 - 05:12 PM.
  • Even more on an F18. But if your worried about weight, go with the big dog .... Nacra 6.0. If you need to have the spinnaker then an I20 will do.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Thanks guys, I really love the 16, it just doesn't make sense till me and my partner can get some weight off. I need simplicity and durability and no boards, so the P18 seems logical if it will it perform with a bit more weight
  • what about a gcat 5.7? sounds like a perfect boat for your needs
  • MN3what about a gcat 5.7? sounds like a perfect boat for your needs

+1 to MN3

I have owned 2 G-Cat 5.7s as well as a half dozen other catamarans. They are often mistaken for Prindle 18s. The unique features of the G-Cat 5.7 is the forward trampoline, high freeboard and large volume hulls.

I have sailed the 5.7 with 4 adults and a large cooler on it (700+lbs) and felt like it performed very well. It is also the driest ride I know of in the under 20ft catamaran category.

The bad news is they are kind of hard to find depending what part of the country you are in.

Good luck on your search.

Brad in Jax

Edited by bradinjax on Dec 19, 2018 - 09:53 AM.
  • I actually own a Gcat 5.7, I am a 2 boat guy. The Gcat 5.7 sits on the trailer for out of town adventures and the Hobie 16 is my on the beach with the mast up ready to go after work and weekends. So I am looking for another boat to replace the 16. I could make the the Gcat my on the beach boat but: Its in decent condition and feel it is more likely to stay that way on the trailer and It is harder to wrestle on to the beach wheels for just a quick sail, I guess because of the extra weight, the hull shape, and the front tramp gets in the way.
  • it's gonna be had to beat the ease of setup with a h16
    technique (and even then it's still a pita)

just remember as you upgrade in size & controls ... so does your rigging time
    my h16 was 35 min
    h18 - 45min
    5.5 - 55min
    6.0 - 65min
    if i had my wings 70min

All 15 min depending on how much talking went on during rigging
  • Don't let the rigging time deter you. The extra time and effort are worth it after 5 minutes on the water. That said, a fast, light F16 with main only rigs as fast as my H14.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • My Hobie 16 and Gcat 5.7 are about identical rig times, and its pretty quick even solo. I sail frequently on my friends Supercat 20 and I am not envious of it
  • A Supercat 20 is 12ft wide, 450lbs and no spinnaker, right? Not even in the ballpark of the 'Formula' boats as far as I am concerned. My F16 weighs all up at 240lbs. If you are an older, solo sailor, well, it just fits.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.