Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Keeping the main sheet out of the water  Bottom

• How do you guys manage to keep the main sheet out of the water? I waste too many movements and concentration on that when I’m on the trap. It either goes through the tramp lacing on the rear beam or under my feet. I will cover the slot at the rear beam, there is a cover that just needs to be tightened correctly, I had that that set up a bit better and it helps, but still. I’m thinking on a bungee with a ring that brings the main forward, either under or above the tramp. Anyone has done or thought of something like that?
    On this video you can see a bit what i’m Taking about:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9tAkREld0
  • Hand the sheet to the crew like you did at the end of the video. That’s the easiest solution on a double handed boat. Otherwise, try to adjust your other settings (traveler, downhaul) for the conditions and make trim adjustments through steering so you don’t need to dump a lot of sheet in the gusts (not always possible). That will reduce the amount of line you need to handle.

On a side note, you may want to try to do something about that fore/aft adjustment line for the upper mainsheet block. That thing looks like it’s just asking to get tangled in the mainsheet and cause a capsize, especially when it’s pulled in all the way.

sm
  • QuoteHand the sheet to the crew like you did at the end of the video.

Good advice, thanks!

QuoteOn a side note, you may want to try to do something about that fore/aft adjustment line for the upper mainsheet block. That thing looks like it’s just asking to get tangled in the mainsheet and cause a capsize, especially when it’s pulled in all the way.

I've thought of a bungee towards the downhaul grommet but having a loop may get you into more troubles. I haven't had issues with if after several years, not really a big deal

Edited by Andinista on Dec 11, 2018 - 01:47 PM.
  • I set up an in-sucker bungee under the trap on my H18, the bungee terminates forward at a stainless steel ring that I leave clipped to the dolphin striker when not in use... to engage this system, I run the all-in-one mainsheet/traveller line through the SS ring, and the tension on the bungee keeps that line on the tramp. Simple, and not much of an impediment on any other systems or too much spaghetti on the tramp. I don't think it'd work as well on my Tiger, with its spinnaker lines/halyards/retrieve/etc.

I forget to rig it about half the time, so perhaps that's not the strongest endorsement. My sailing is all recreational. so having the perfectly optimized boat is less motivating than getting quicker to the water. YMMV!

Randii
  • So the bungee starts at the rear beam and goes under the tramp and then around the front beam to take the sheet through the ring?
  • I will add that on my H17, I screwed a short PVC "post," about 4 inches long to one of the grommets near the front of the center tramp lacing. When sailing upwind, I can throw the mainsheet/traveler loop over this post which keeps the line on board. If I need to dump sheet, the tramp is flexible enough that the post will bend back and the mainsheet will just pop off. So that has been my solution when sailing solo and it works reasonably well (I just have to remember to put the line over the post before going out on the wire).

For a double handed boat, the post would get in the way of the crew, so like I stated in my original reply, letting the crew take care of the mainsheet is the simplest and best approach IMO.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on Dec 12, 2018 - 10:05 AM.
  • I first rigged it up from rear beam under the tramp through the dolphin striker and over the front beam to the terminal ring for the sheet. When I wanted a little more stretch and zip to the bungee, I rigged it from the end of the front main beam, back under the tramp to the opposite rear corner, then under the tramp through the dolphin striker, and over the front beam to the terminal ring for the sheet. I have a full spool of decent bungee, so it is cheap to experiment.

I run a cross-tramp bag on my H18 that covers the entire width of the tramp about 2 feet back. It swallows up throw cushions, paddles, dry bags, and beverages with aplomb, and is as handy for day-tripping as it is deleterious to OAL weight and speed. This is why I come over the top of the front beam with the in-sucker bungee... without that bag, I'd probably bring the ring up between the tramp halves.

Randii
  • Clear. Thanks!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.