Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Big Guy Wetsuit  Bottom

• I have embarrassingly outgrown my wetsuit. I am not quite 6 foot and weigh 250 with a 38 waist. Most sizing charts seem to assume that because I have gotten heavier, I have gotten taller, which I have not. Any brands that specialize in big guy suites?
  • When i bought my kokata dry bib they took actual measurements and made it "custom" to my specs
    perhaps you can call Kokata and find a local rep to do the same for you

another option is get your measurements and call Andrew at tackle shack in pinellas park florida and give them your specs and have them order it for you - i am sure it can be shipped to your address
  • You want the grizzly size from NRS. They made just what you need. Try the G4xl size. I have a G3xl that fits a little loose and I am 5' 10" and around 190. icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • this is comforting about the Grizzly from NRS

WARNING: This product can expose you to Carbon Black, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. This product can expose you to Chloroprene, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. More about California Proposition 65 »
  • In California, everything can kill you, or mutilate your future children according to Prop 65. There is no escape from the regulatory juggernaut designed to enrich trial lawyers.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • tominpaIn California, everything can kill you, or mutilate your future children according to Prop 65. There is no escape from the regulatory juggernaut designed to enrich trial lawyers.

true!

the litigious states of America
  • My buddy is 6'4 300 and he just got one from wetsuit warehouse using whatever measurements he had and it fits just fine.
  • I have two suits custom made by Aleeda (https://www.aleeda.com/) that I've been using for almost 10 years now. The 3/2 is still in good shape but the 5/4 has some seam issues. I'm 6'5" and 245 lbs.
  • Thanks everyone, guess custom is the way to go. I’m in the Tampa area enough I’ll have them take my measurements and ship it. Then hopefully in a few seasons I’ll be able to get back into my old one
  • I've checked the Aleeda and it seems interesting
  • Have you considered getting a drysuit instead of a wetsuit? I think a drysuit is a better match for cold weather sailing than a wetsuit and will fit a wider range of body types / sizes. I had a drysuit made by Ocean Rodeo that I used for kitesurfing and it kept me warm and dry in some nasty weather. I sold it when I moved to North Carolina but I'm tempted to get another one. My wetsuit is worthless as soon as the wind picks up. The wind cools the wet surface of the wetsuit defeating its purpose.
  • QuoteI think a drysuit is a better match for cold weather sailing than a wetsuit and will fit a wider range of body types / sizes.

I have never worn a wet suit (not into squeezing into a body glove), and i LOVE my dry bib (has an elastic waste band to fold into a dry/spray top to make it a full suit

BUT ... it is limited in use to COLD weather days. I can't wear it when it gets even close to "warm" out.
    meaning: it has very limited use and If it's a cold morning that warms up ... I have to get out of it or i would sweat so much it would sink - ymmv
  • gobigkahunaHave you considered getting a drysuit instead of a wetsuit? I think a drysuit is a better match for cold weather sailing than a wetsuit and will fit a wider range of body types / sizes. I had a drysuit made by Ocean Rodeo that I used for kitesurfing and it kept me warm and dry in some nasty weather. I sold it when I moved to North Carolina but I'm tempted to get another one. My wetsuit is worthless as soon as the wind picks up. The wind cools the wet surface of the wetsuit defeating its purpose.

That is because most wetsuits are designed for diving, not sailing! Check out the Zhik Superwarm wetsuit. It's more like a flexible drysuit. The outer layer is waterproof/windproof and the seams are sealed. You will not get the evaporative effect that a normal neoprene wetsuit has. Water beads up and rolls off the outer layer. If you do go swimming, then you will get water creeping up the neck, wrist and leg openings, but not through the material itself. if you go with the steamer version, then it really is like a flexible drysuit.
  • QuoteCheck out the Zhik Superwarm wetsuit...

That's part of the problem, most surf oriented wetsuit companies don't make suits that fit big or tall guys. O'Neill offers a wider range of sizes than most. I think I managed to find a XXXL Tall suit by them once, but my legs were too skinny so I didn't buy it. For wetsuits it's all about fit. Too tight or too loose won't work.

I also had a "semi dry" steamer years back. Don't see them offered as often anymore.

I've worn drysuits in weather where the air was in the 60's and the water in the 50's. I wore long wicking thermal underwear pants and a long t-shirt top. Besides a little bit of wetness at the wrists and ankles, I was pretty comfortable. I wouldn't recommend a drysuit for surfing, but for sailing / windsurfing / kitesurfing they work well.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.