Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Winter Sailing  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I am looking out my window to 6" of pre-Thanksgiving snow. Not that I would still be sailing in upstate NY the middle of November, but I would be nice to know that one could.

So I was wondering, how far south do you have to go to sail beach cats year round?

Thanks,

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Don't know, but you are snack dab in the middle of ice boat territory. 3 to 5 times wind speed is what I hear they do. I just bought one.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Well, here in central Bama my season is done. I guess one could still get out there on the warmer days and deal with cold lake water spray, but I don't do cold. Lol.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • ctcatamanDon't know, but you are snack dab in the middle of ice boat territory. 3 to 5 times wind speed is what I hear they do. I just bought one.

Try this. https://syracuse.craigsli…ice-boat/6740449601.html

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • That's a good deal on a DN.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I'm able to surf 9 months out of the year here in NC, so assuming you have the right cold weather gear (drysuit) you could sail a beach cat that many months as well (or possibly more). But if you're talking warm enough to wear a t-shirt and shorts, then Southern Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc (naming just US locations).
  • We just wrapped up the season here in MD and start back up in April. Its firmly into drysuit weather now but I have sailed dinghys year round in my younger days. Now I send the boats to Florida for the winter if possible.
  • We are pretty much done down here in texas unless you put on wetsuits. About October a bunch of us swap to whitetail amd duck hunting

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • We put our cats in the Great South Bay before 4/15 bay is about 46 F and we sail in wet suits, take the boats out around 10/20 since water temps warmer in fall. Then I try to take 10 days off every month Nov,Dec, Jan ,February & March and sail my cat in Ft lauderdale . To me Del Ray Beach Fla,on the Atlantic is the best there are over 50 cats on the beach! reddington Beach Nere Tampa west coast fla has cats for rent[/email]
  • Oh yes we try to ice boat too but last 3seasons in north east provided only a handful of weekend opportunities
  • Ya'll need to come down to the Charlotte Harbor Regatta, February 1-3, 2019. The water temp here in the winter is warmer than most of yours in the summer.

Edited by jack108136 on Nov 21, 2018 - 07:36 AM.
  • Is anyone looking to charter a boat at the Charlotte Harbor Regatta?

Thanks,

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Here in AZ two of our biggest regattas are in November and January. We hold them on the lake and there are very few other people on the water at the time, so we have the lake to ourselves. Trips to Mexico (the Sea of Cortez side) are popular too, as shrimping is in full swing during months that end in R. Wetsuits and drysuits abound to stay warm, and the sailing is good. In contrast, I wear the same drysuit offshore of Ventura, Ca. in August for a long distance race. The Pacific coast is deeper and colder that it's Atlantic counterpart. Forecasted high for this Wed. here is 72, so it's not like we're suffering. icon_cool

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • The English Dart 15 fleet is way tougher than anything I’ve read here. That fleet sails all year, with only a few regattas cancelled due to the lakes freezing.
    They have a January 2nd race, with air temps just above freezing, & water temps the same.
    Dry suits are the answer, though I have to admit, it’s not for me.
    I park my boats end of October, early Nov. Time to pull out proper cold weather gear, along with the skis. 40 days on snow will bring us almost back to sailing season.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Interesting question, which will depend on personal preference. I have friends here in Southern CA who sail all year. Me? I generally shut it down in Oct and pick up again in late March. The weather is cooler, the conditions changing quicker and more extreme, the hazards of Santa Ana winds, and shorter days all contribute. Admittedly, there are some gorgeous winter days when I wish I could get out for a quick one.

This year, I screwed up my knee and am not in any shape to sail cats. It's an issue that is either going to get better or put me out of cats for good. I'm am trying to stay in a state of denial on the later, by 1.) Continuing restoration of another P19 I recently aquired, and 2.) blaming my non sailing on the winter.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • "...the weather is cooler..." was difficult to put out there. I just looked up the average temperature where I live and the lowest by month is December at 64 degrees. I was born and raised in Chicago, so I know the wrath I deserve for that one.

Fire at will.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • jack108136Ya'll need to come down to the Charlotte Harbor Regatta, February 1-3, 2019. The water temp here in the winter is warmer than most of yours in the summer.Edited by jack108136 on Nov 21, 2018 - 07:36 AM.

83 Today!

What's your temp?
  • I was fishing in Charlotte Harbor two weeks ago. Water was 66-67. I'm going to look into that regatta though.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I'm a former member of Hobe Fleet 126 from Michigan City and then Gary. A former resident of Ogden Dunes lives here now.
  • It's not too late to attend the Charlotte Harbor Regatta. I've made the road trip many times. For most of you it's about 24 hours.

Most importantly, even though I will consider this weekend cold, it will be way warmer than where you are at.

http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.