Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Putting in a Prindle 19 with a crane lift?  Bottom

• I recently bought a Prindle 19 as my first cat. So far it's been an absolute blast. I'm looking to move it to the club which I sail out of (and free up the entire garage), but their ramp is only a viable option at peak high tide. They use a 3-ton lift to put in most of their boats. I'm concerned about the horizontal strain that might be placed on the hulls when lifting. It might also be negligible, the boat weighs under 400 lbs. Does anyone have some insight into using lifts on smaller cats?

Thank you for your time.
  • I think the P19 is similar to the Nacra Inter 20, glass-foam sandwhich with one layer of glass on both sides. Dents very easily, so I’d be wary of any point loading (buckles, etc). Compression loads might cause tabbed bulkheads to pop loose inside. No personal experience with what you are proposing though. Seems like it you’d have to paddle out to a beach to put the sails up.

Edited by traphappy on Oct 28, 2018 - 01:53 AM.
  • You could also motor out. I have a Cheata motor mount for a Prindle listed for sale on this site
  • I have several friends that keep their cats on sling lifts 100% of the time for many years in all kinds of weather conditions and have never heard of any damage from that kind of storage. I would not be concerned at all about damaging the unloaded boat for 10-15 mins in a sling.

But, if your still concerned I have seen 2 techniques to eliminate any potential hull/crossbeam damage:

I know one guy that uses 2 padded steel bars 10 ft long with eye bolts on the end to attach to the lift. It is essentially the same as sitting on the trailer. Also, I have seen people construct lifting devices from ratchet straps attached to the crossbeams directly to eliminate any stress from the lift onto the hulls.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Brad in Jax
    Stiletto 27 on a 2 year plan.

Edited by bradinjax on Oct 28, 2018 - 10:47 PM.
  • i don't see why lifting your cat with a crane would stress the structure of said boat. it certainly isn't as stressful
    as sailing the boat in a good wind.
    if the boat cannot take the lifting it shouldn't be sailed.

--
    NACRA 6.0
    Chrysler Bucaneer 18 dinghy
    --
  • traphappyI think the P19 is similar to the Nacra Inter 20, glass-foam sandwhich with one layer of glass on both sides. Dents very easily, so I’d be wary of any point loading (buckles, etc). Compression loads might cause tabbed bulkheads to pop loose inside. No personal experience with what you are proposing though. Seems like it you’d have to paddle out to a beach to put the sails up.Edited by traphappy on Oct 28, 2018 - 01:53 AM.

I'd like to know the answer to this myself. Can P19/P18.2 owners verify whether the hulls are solid fiberglass (that's what I thought) or glass-foam sandwich? I'd think if they're solid there'd be no question but that lifting via decent width slings wouldn't hurt them(?).

Edited by CatFan57 on Oct 29, 2018 - 11:32 AM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • Make a bridle to connect around each of the four corners of the crossbars and lift by the crossbars (not the hulls).

sm
  • ejbi don't see why lifting your cat with a crane would stress the structure of said boat. it certainly isn't as stressful
    as sailing the boat in a good wind.
    if the boat cannot take the lifting it shouldn't be sailed.

At King Harbor Yacht Club (Redondo Beach, CA) they have been hoisting catamarans for years.... at one time they have a very large cat fleet of P18, P19 and NACRA 5.8, and just about everything else. Don't seem to recall anyone having a structure problem.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • We lifted many a cat at Cabrillo Beach in LA. we ran the slings around the cross beams on each corner. Even did this with Tornados. Never had an issue

mark

Edited by turborat on Oct 29, 2018 - 02:16 PM.
  • DogboyMake a bridle to connect around each of the four corners of the crossbars and lift by the crossbars (not the hulls).

sm

+1

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • CatFan57
    traphappyI think the P19 is similar to the Nacra Inter 20, glass-foam sandwhich with one layer of glass on both sides. Dents very easily, so I’d be wary of any point loading (buckles, etc). Compression loads might cause tabbed bulkheads to pop loose inside. No personal experience with what you are proposing though. Seems like it you’d have to paddle out to a beach to put the sails up.Edited by traphappy on Oct 28, 2018 - 01:53 AM.

I'd like to know the answer to this myself. Can P19/P18.2 owners verify whether the hulls are solid fiberglass (that's what I thought) or glass-foam sandwich? I'd think if they're solid there'd be no question but that lifting via decent width slings wouldn't hurt them(?).Edited by CatFan57 on Oct 29, 2018 - 11:32 AM.

its a sandwich on the sides, and then it switches to a solid structure about 3 inches either side of the keel

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.