Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

2001 Hobie Tiger vs 2003 Nacra F18  Bottom

• I'm looking at these 2 used boats & would like to hear opinions on them. I've heard comments about certain years of particular Hobie models being undesirable because of hull construction problems. I've never heard this sort of talk regarding Nacras or Prindles. But the Tiger comes with 2 mains, 2 jibs and 3 spinnakers.
    Do Mylar cat sails have a definite life span? I bought a Holder 20 a few years back and the Mylar genoa literally started to disintegrate after a few uses.
    Thanks for any helpful comments.
    Mike
  • I am assuming that you are talking about the 2 Cats recently listed on this site. Both very Nice and priced right. As a NACRA owner the NACRA would get my vote. Let us know what you decide.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • How are you planing to sail the boat?

F18 Class racing or day sailing a spin boat?

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I can only speak to the Hobie as I have owned a 2001 Tiger for several years now. I have been out a couple of times in winds that should have been felt while standing on the shore and not on any cat. It is one tough boat in my book. If I remember, there was some talk about very early Hobie Wildcats with hull issues(?). My buddy and I are pretty big guys and two up in any breeze the boat has no problem being a lot of fun.

The question about whether you are going to sail or race the boat is a valid one. A 2001 even in Tiger terms is a bit dated as it has the ST main in comparison to the later STX and associated rig changes. Great for day sailing a spin boat but might be lacking in serious F18 Class racing. However, during those years, I think the Tiger was the boat to beat among the big guys.

All things being equal, I would take the Tiger if only for the Hobie style kick up rudders system over the Nacra's. If you are going to do any one up sailing, a jib furler is a very nice to have.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • I had this choice presented to me and I took the NACRA because it was a few year newer, and in better shape for the same price.. What pushed was the fact that Hobie specific parts are expensive and if you plan to do Hobie class racing, it will even cost you more...

Another question is where are you sailing? The NACRA is a great boat in smooth water, (lake - bay) unfortunately I sail in the Pacific Ocean, and it is not always very smooth..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • It really depends on your use case; for rec sailing I would probably go for the Hobie Tiger as generally those boats are pretty bullet proof. If you want to do any F18 class racing I would probably pass on both, with the most competitive boats being:

1) Scorpion F18
    2) Goodall C2
    3) Edge F18
    4) Infusion Mk. 2
    5) Infusion Mk. 1 w/ long boards.

For example, the painted Infusion Mk. 1 listed in the classifieds came in under class minimum weight by 2kg at the Worlds last week. You could probably get that boat for a reasonable sum and fit eXploder long boards, still be at weight and have a boat pretty competitive with the latest gear for under $10k.

Mike and Tripp took 2nd at the Worlds on a 2011 C2 so if you are sailing at minimum weight those are good choices.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.