Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Insurance Cancelation  Bottom

• After 25 some odd years insuring boats through one of the reputable national carriers with out ever filling a claim I get a notice yesterday saying the are no longer going to insure my boat... icon_frown

The reason is the hull design... they are noting the these catamaran are designed for racing; therefor can not be insured with them...

Hope this is not a trend...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • That sucks! sorry to hear
    I gave up on insuring my cats

I doubt they will every pay close to what it would cost to replace

paying 300 a year for 5 years cost me 1/2 the purchase price
  • I self insure also but I added 100k of liability coverage to my homeowners policy for my boats. I think that costs around 50 a year.
  • bradinjaxI self insure also but I added 100k of liability coverage to my homeowners policy for my boats. I think that costs around 50 a year.

You may want to check your policy on that... I went through this a few years back after reading my homeowners policy thinking I was covered. The way it was put to me was:

If the boat is parked or in storage and something happens it is covered under your homeowners policy...

If the boat is hooked up to your car/Truck/SUV and something happens, then your auto policy kicks in, but again you need to look at the policy to make sure if and what it covers for towed vehicles. The thing being towed may need a separate policy or rider to the specifics... I think this had to deal with Toy Boxes and trailer you can live in.

The minute the boat is on the water then you boat policy kicked in..

I seem to remember there was someone on the forum that was an insurance underwriter that sort of said the same thing..

MN.... you may want to think about getting at least liability insurance...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • My home insurance will only pay $1000 towards boat(s) / trailer / engine without additional coverage

I did get a flat tire on my trailer once and couldn't find my tire-jack so i called my car insurer - since it was hooked up it, they came out and changed my tire for me

"MN.... you may want to think about getting at least liability insurance..." - good advice !!!

Edited by MN3 on Oct 08, 2018 - 05:25 PM.
  • My homeowners—USAA—covers my liability up to the normal limits of the policy. It covers my boat(s) up to 1500 and racing is NOT excluded.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • tnellMy homeowners—USAA—covers my liability up to the normal limits of the policy. It covers my boat(s) up to 1500 and racing is NOT excluded.

Can you scan and email me that provision in the policy? I would like to take a look at it...
    send to nacradriver at yahoo dot com

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.