Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast Head Float, knot meter  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• So I am now the proud owner of a Sol Cat 15, which is apparently very rare indeed. It's in need of a paint job, some hardware and love, but seems sound and has a good sail. (Original!) It's my first cat after many years sailing and racing keel boats. I had a WindRider for a short period, (That I ended up really disliking, if someone wants details, let me know.) so I am not a multihull virgin, quite. There are some things I am getting used to - a 26' mast on a 15 1/2' boat? The 6 - 1 main sheet blocks would be right at home on a 35 footer - huge! I wonder if they are original? The hulls are light - maybe 80lbs each.

I've read some of the older threads on mast head floats and looking for any new information from you guys. I bought the boat cheap, so also looking for a low cost answer on the float. Is anyone using the WinDesign style with the two tubes that are raised with the main? Or any other low cost system? I heard some even use pool noodles.

2nd - I want some way to measure speed. It needs to be water proof, (obviously) battery powered and mast mounted. I don't really care if it has another functions. I know I can get an app on my phone for free, but that isn't very convenient if you have your hands full!

Thanks in advance!
  • mikeguestuser There are some things I am getting used to - a 26' mast on a 15 1/2' boat? The 6 - 1 main sheet blocks would be right at home on a 35 footer - huge! I wonder if they are original?

Both things are typical for a 16 foot beachcat. Hobie, Prindle and NACRA boats of similar size came with that mast length and 6:1 main sheet blocks. I have 8:1 on my 18-2 and the mast is just under 29 feet.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I use a Garmin watch for speed and later I can download the data and see the exact sail track for the whole day.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Hi Mike.

There are 2 versions of the Sol Cat 15: uni-rig is stock and a jib kit was offered as an option. Does yours have a forestay? If so, you have the jib kit. A Hobie 14 Turbo sail would probably work well if you cant find a Sol Cat 15 jib.

Yes. 6:1 mainsheet blocks are common in 14-20 foot long beach cats.

Mast head floats are rarely seen on smaller beachcats that are easy to right. Maybe a Hawaiian righting line or water bag if your particular boat is difficult to flip back over or you and your crew are very light. Just make sure your mast is sealed. If you go turtle you have big problems.

How to measure speed/distance/bearing is actually a big question and there is no one good answer.

A lot of people use a speedpuck:

https://www.velocitek.com/pages/speedpuck

Some are satisfied with phone based apps. Others really like GPS enabled dedicated devices that have multiple inputs and can instantly compute maximum course speed sailing angle, VMG and other important data points that are good to know to sail at the highest levels of competition. It is a bit of a personal preference.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Brad in Jax
    Stiletto 27
  • I use a fender as mast float, I agree it’s not needed as long as the mast is sealed. But I don’t trust my sealing skills very much.. I do re-apply sealant every year or two, don’t get me wrong
  • Brad - SUPER jealous you have a Stiletto! That would be close to the ultimate, I think. I do have a forestay but no jib. With 160sf in the main alone, I am pretty sure I will not need a jib sailing solo.

I don't know if it will be hard to right, I just want to make really sure it doesn't turtle. The res I sail on is definitely shallow in spots. I did turtle a Day Sailer some years ago and the mast stuck in the mud. We needed a power boat to pull us over.

Mast sealing - heard. That makes tons of sense. I might see about a noodle setup just for extra peace of mind, and forego spending money on a fancier solution.

The Speedpuk looks perfect - except it's $339!! That's more than 1/2 what I paid for the boat.

Garmins - same problem. I have a dedicated GPS in my car I paid $60 for. Looking for something cheap! And I really only want speed. I am not going to race seriously, so not concerned with any other functions.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts!
  • foam noodles have a very short lifespan when in the elements
    they will get water logged and fall apart quickly in my part of the world

If you want to know your speed - on the cheap... get a $5 app for your phone
    put your phone away in a dry bag and check it on break / after sailing

if you want "on the fly" GPS - it's gonna cost a pretty penny
  • MN3If you want to know your speed - on the cheap... get a $5 app for your phone

Similarly, if you don't want to risk your regular use phone, identify which cheap, android pay as you go phones will allow you to get beyond the activation screen. I did that many years and use one with an sd card as a cheap ipod for when I run.

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • Couple of suggestions before you spend the time or money on a float.

Before you set the boat up the first time at the lake, try and sink the mast in the lake. You will see bubbles where there are leaks.

After you set it up push it out into the water and flip it over. You will learn quickly if you need any righting assistance. I think that a water bag would be enough with a 15 footer.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • MN3
    If you want to know your speed - on the cheap... get a $5 app for your phone

Agree: the phone is good for recording your tracks and speed and review it later, but not good for checking whether you are reaching those 20 kts: you need one hand to watch the screen. Forget about a sailing app with more sophisticated info, it will only result in your phone invading that space too. Additionally, the app you use should work with the screen off (locked), otherwise it will eat the battery quickly, not good if you also carry your phone to be able to call.

GPS watch maybe. Expensive though.
  • The Garmin Vivoactive 2 HR watch is a generation old, but gives waterproof, fast, convenient readout of speed and will map your sailing for later viewing. A refurbished one with warranty is only $162 on Amazon. It's no speed puck but it does the job and will do a lot of other fitness tracking as well. https://www.amazon.com/Ga…=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I am not a big fan of any of the products that measure speed that you wear. Especially on the wrist. I have tried a few through the years and you would be quite suprised how fast your wrist moves when you are sailing. The wrist movement would be either added or subtracted from the real speed.

That said: if that is all you have it is better than nothing.

It is best to have something actually mounted on the boat in order to get the most accurate info.

Edited by bradinjax on Sep 27, 2018 - 08:40 AM.
  • I use a speed puck on my 21SE. I first tried it out mounted to my mast but as my mast rotated I could see it from the wing. Now I have it mounted to my boom with another cradle on the other side of the boom. So when I tact, I move it to the other cradle...until I buy a second speed puck ..... icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • 1. Get a Nextbook Ares tablet off e-bay, you'll spend $50-$80 depending on whether it's new or used. It's sufficiently waterproof for this.
    2. Get this app. for free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paloaltophoto.knotmeter&hl=en_US
    3. Make a mount for your front beam.
    The tablet I use isn't this make and model, what I have isn't readily available anymore. My mount is a flat plate with a short 90 degree bent leg at the bottom. My boat is a Nacra with a track in the beam, which I dropped nuts into. I used sticky back velcro on the mount plate and the tablet.

I also have a Garmin Vivoactive which is nice for recording tracks and other statistics.
  • I got a speedpuck off craigslist. Worked out well and has beeen a lot of fun.
  • QuoteGet a Nextbook Ares tablet off e-bay, you'll spend $50-$80 depending on whether it's new or used. It's sufficiently waterproof for this.

Not trying to be rude but: I have a hard time believing this is a sound idea

if it's not a marine grade electronic - it will have a short life span exposed to spray and the elements (x10 in salt water or strong UV)
    attaching anything to the front beam is at risk of being kicked, pulled off via a sheet/line and or "separated" from the boat during a capsize / pitch (x10 via velcro)

Edited by MN3 on Sep 29, 2018 - 08:19 AM.
  • Hi all, thanks again for the comments and wisdom. I will definitely try to seal the mast head before setting out. Then also test it in the water.

I have the same doubts about the tablet idea. We are fresh water, but I can't imagine that is really waterproof enough to survive more than a sprinkle. I am going to keep looking for a solution there and will let you know if I find something.
  • Speedpuck. Bought a blue piece of 12"x12"x1/4" plexiglass off e-bay, cut it, heated/bend it, for a mount that is screwed to my front beam. Attached the speedpuck mount with some double sided industrial tape.

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --
  • http://www.pbase.com/d30/image/113849060.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/d30/image/113849062.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/d30/image/113849063.jpg
  • MN3http://www.pbase.com/d30/image/113849060.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/d30/image/113849062.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/d30/image/113849063.jpg

So now what is this fine looking toy if if it is less than 3 or 400 dollars I'm in catsalor nacra 5.2

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.