Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

FL Road Trip  Bottom

• Will be travelling up the Gulf side of FL during ~Oct. 2-4. I know that's not much time and is the middle of the week, but, if time/logistics permit, would be nice to stop in and say hello to a few fellow Beachcats. Any info on catsailing hotspots to visit, must-see/do camping, spring snorkeling, etc. would be appreciated as well.

It's always nice to put a face with a name and see where others sail.

Many thanks!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • The St. George Island\St Vincent Barrier island chain is a must visit for me. Also Cape San Blas\St Joseph Peninsula. Both have nice State Parks for camping. Downtown Panama City out to Shell Island is a nice trip and snorkeling along the jetties out there is usually good, camping available across the channel at St. Andrew State Park. I could tell you some easy places to launch off 98 closer to Tallahassee but not as scenic as the other places I mentioned. Let me know if you need any details on any of these places. That is not a good week for me otherwise I'd love to show around.
  • well Dunedin is (or was) a hot spot for cats
    but cat sailing is not popular anymore so on any given weekend there is only a handful of cats out in the gulf these days

on a good day a dozen or so

but we are also being "beat up" by red tide here currently (dead fish, respiratory issues) so i am not sure it will clear in the next few weeks
  • Quotebut we are also being "beat up" by red tide here currently (dead fish, respiratory issues) so i am not sure it will clear in the next few weeks

Good Point, It has started in Panama City but has not impacted my stomping grounds yet, St. Vincent to Shell Point. Bacteria levels at Shell Point have reached swim warning levels, but no dead fish.

I almost brought the Cat last weekend to the Causeway while visiting my girlfriends granddad in Oldsmar, he was the one that reminded me of the red tide so I left it at home

Edited by jalex on Sep 19, 2018 - 02:34 PM.
  • Yes wind was perfect last weekend but i opted to stay home after my buddy Rey (sails around 150 days per year off our beach) sent me a video of a bunch of dead fish in hurricane pass

my buddies sailed - they said it wasn't too bad around clearwater (and clear north of here at Anclote) but saw dead fish and had a little respiratory discomfort.
  • A little clarification.....

I won't have the boat with me....just like to meet other catsailors in person and/or see their sailing areas when possible while travelling.

I'm very familiar with the Panhandle to Apalachicola....more interested in areas further down.

Forgot about the red tide when I posted earlier.....hope that clears for y'all soon!

Except for Weekeewachee (sp?) when I was a child, I've never visited any of the freshwater springs down there. Will have wetsuits and would like to do some snorkeling and maybe camping around such sites. Would appreciate suggestions on y'all's favorite springs to visit along/near the coast.

Thanks again!

Edited by rattlenhum on Sep 19, 2018 - 07:18 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Crystal River has some nice springs, can get a little congested. Most of the springs I would recommend are more inland from the gulf. As far as snorkeling, you can catch a boat from Ft Desoto out to Egmont Key and snorkel the ruins of an old fort

Edited by jalex on Sep 19, 2018 - 08:29 PM.
  • Jerome, it was nice meeting you at Juana’s. Thanks for saying hello and I hope to see you again soon.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • QuoteExcept for Weekeewachee (sp?) when I was a child, I've never visited any of the freshwater springs down there. Will have wetsuits and would like to do some snorkeling and maybe camping around such sites. Would appreciate suggestions on y'all's favorite springs to visit along/near the coast.

I have only been to weeki wachee and rainbow spring

weeki wachee is much much better imho. the scenery is much nicer, the fact that you go from freshwater and end up in the gulf (if you have your own kayak/or other) bring you through multiple ecosystems and you watch the plants change as you pass from fresh to brackish to salt is amazing. I would highly recommend it to anyone (go during the week or be on a very busy river)

There is camping at Rainbow river - so that is nice. They only rent inter tubes on site and (i found) that is not comfortable after an hour or so of being wet and stuck in a round tube with a weld-line that annoyingly rubs

I am sad to say, "I would avoid any beach location tampa or south at this time due to the red tide (algea bloom)
    and my sailing season is over until the bloom ends or abades - so i would definitely not do fort desoto at this time

the algae bloom is toxic and causes respiratory distress in humans (and other animals)
  • Thanks for all the info, people! Looks like there will be several good options along the way. We're keeping this part of our trip loose and will chose what to do based on weather, crowds, and other logistics at the time.

(tnell: I was glad to finally meet you in person as well! We need to get our groups together (along with some of the AL lake sailors) on Arkabutla or Barnett sometime!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Vortex Spring in Ponce De Leon is a really nice spring in the panhandle.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Thanks for the help, folks. Our trip was a great success and included a manatee visit at Crystal River, snorkeling the Rainbow River, and a cabin at Fanning Springs. All were extremely enjoyable and very uncrowded given the time of year.

The highlight was two nights of camping, snorkeling, kayaking, sunsets, stargazing, etc. etc. at Dry Tortugas NP.....just awesome!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.