Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

sails  Bottom

• I own a nacra 5.2 Thought I would try a hobie 18 sail for size it fit perfectly where would I look to find the actual measurements of cat sails since I am thinking there could be alot of sails that fit my cat I would like a sail that is aprox 1 foot taller it looks like I have room for it Thanks for any info Tony
  • The Hobie 18 sail is a lot more than 12" taller. You (or a sailmaker) will have to cut it and then rebuild the end to support the stress of the downhaul.
    If your standard sail seems too short, your luff line (inside the front edge of the sail) may have shrunk and needs to replaced to allow you to down haul it properly.
    NACRAs were designed to either be boom-less or have the boom up high for safety and comfort reasons.
    Look here for specs on catamarans, though you will have to go to the Hobie forums to get sail dimensions:
    http://sailboatdata.com

Edited by klozhald on Sep 25, 2018 - 11:54 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • My nacra 5.2 sail is the same size as the hobie 18 sail I actually tried it and even laid them on the ground ontop of each other The nacra sail has the official logo on it .The hobie 18 sail is old and the nacra sail is in great shape would that have something to do with it maybe I will check another hobie 18 sail just incase a swictheroo happened at our club
  • catsalorI will check another hobie 18 sail just incase a swictheroo happened at our club

If it is a Dacron sail, with horizontal panels, then count how many panels are on the Hobie sail from top to bottom. A H16 sail has 9 panels and the H18 sail has ten panels.
    I could be wrong about the size of the 5.2 mainsail. I may be thinking of the 5.0 sail. The 5.2 has diamond wires on the mast, like a H18, so mast length is probably similar.

Edited by klozhald on Sep 25, 2018 - 02:42 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Not sure on sail construction but is it possible to add a panel at the foot I want to have more power in my sails or do I need a bigger jib .The nacra 5.2 has a rather small jib I also have a gennaker which I use in lighter winds I am looking to experiment.I recently put the jib blocks on the front crossbar and moved my jib forward 2 feet on the spin pole what a difference in power that is why I am thinking a larger jib may give me all the excitement I want .Sailing season is soon ending here so may not try this till next season.If anyone has any thoughts please let me know

Thanks Tony
  • Quotewhere would I look to find the actual measurements of cat sails since I am thinking there could be alot of sails that fit my cat

Texel Rating, (IIRC a Dutch organization), maintains specs on almost every multihull sail.
    Try this link, then look down for "Complete List with all the Details".You also need to click on "Complete Descriptions", in order to see what their abbreviations mean.
    https://translate.google.…-catamarans/&prev=search
    Clicking on that link will give you an Excel spread sheet with all the data.
    If it doesn't work, just Google Texel Rating, then look for the hit that says "English Translation."
    It will be easier if you are familiar with Excel. I would save the spreadsheet, select all of it, then use the "SORT" function. Sort by ROWS, but base your SORT on ascending order, on the column that list sail length. That way, you will have all sails with your desired length in the same place vs hunting all over Hell* half acre for them.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 26, 2018 - 08:24 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • klozhaldThe Hobie 18 sail is a lot more than 12" taller. You (or a sailmaker) will have to cut it and then rebuild the end to support the stress of the downhaul.
    If your standard sail seems too short, your luff line (inside the front edge of the sail) may have shrunk and needs to replaced to allow you to down haul it properly.
    NACRAs were designed to either be boom-less or have the boom up high for safety and comfort reasons.
    Look here for specs on catamarans, though you will have to go to the Hobie forums to get sail dimensions:
    http://sailboatdata.comEdited by klozhald on Sep 25, 2018 - 11:54 AM.

I checked the nacra cats and generally the bigger the cat the smaller the sail area the nacra 5.2 is one with a bigger sail area Very interesting
  • According to the table the only the 18sq (5.5 uni) has a smaller sail area per loa. And obviously that’s because it’s a uni rig.

The H16 is very close to the N5.2, and the H18 is very close to the 5.5 Sl

Edited by tnell on Sep 26, 2018 - 01:04 PM.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • For some sails/masts, mast bend characteristics limit mast-sail compatability.
  • QuoteNot sure on sail construction but is it possible to add a panel at the foot I want to have more power in my sails or do I need a bigger jib .The nacra 5.2 has a

If you are looking for more power, you need more sail area at the top of the sail. Consider getting a square top main.
    I just put one on my SC15 and the difference is astounding!

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • gahamby
    QuoteNot sure on sail construction but is it possible to add a panel at the foot I want to have more power in my sails or do I need a bigger jib .The nacra 5.2 has a

If you are looking for more power, you need more sail area at the top of the sail. Consider getting a square top main.
    I just put one on my SC15 and the difference is astounding!

I have a square top and my sail is in great shape but my jib has seen better days the jib has no battens since it is so small so I am thinking get a new jib larger with battens in it. What happens if I just get a taller jib and go higher up the mast does any of this make sense?
    Thanks Tony
  • Well now the forstay is bracing the mast further up. How does that suit the original rigging design. You could buckle your mast at the original hound position. I submit you consult the manufacturer.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • gahambyWell now the forstay is bracing the mast further up. How does that suit the original rigging design. You could buckle your mast at the original hound position. I submit you consult the manufacturer.

That makes sense so a larger jib but not taller may work to give more power I need a new jib anyway a hobie 16 has a huge jib compared to my nacra I may try one out first we have spares at our club could be interesting
  • I have a new thought what if I use a taller sail on my nacra 5.2 but then go boomless to acomodate the taller sail does it lead to better performance maybe some sort of decksweeper main other benefit simpler to rig?
  • I believe more sail area aloft (square top) will be more helpful than a decksweeper type of sail. In this case its not as much about total surface area of the sail as it is about where the sail area is on the sail itself.

You would be surprised how much more wind there is 30' off the water than at deck level.

Larger jib is a bit more tricky: you do not want to squeeze the slot. This video shows how the main and jib should work together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xivue7RrbGw

My experience in high performance catamarans leans more toward smaller high aspect jibs that are flatter. This is pretty much the opposite of a H-16 jib sail. I have seen many examples of people putting on a larger sail and going slower.

Hope this helps.
  • catsalorI have a new thought what if I use a taller sail on my nacra 5.2 but then go boomless to acomodate the taller sail does it lead to better performance maybe some sort of decksweeper main other benefit simpler to rig?

You would need to set up a mast rotator too, since a boomless rig needs something to turn the mast
  • How about getting a bigger boat
  • OK so I am convinced that my main is the right size for my nacra 5.2 but the jib is getting replaced I have 2 very strong mounting brackets on my mast the shrouds attach to the lower one and 3 feet higher I have another bracket the same . The jib I have could easily be 2 feet longer even mounted at the lower mast bracket right now my present jib is 6 feet at the foot 15 foot leech and 16 foot luff I want to attach it to my spin pole doing that I could accomodate a jib that is 21 ft tall it would seem a tall aspect sail is the way to go but how long would I make the foot or just leave it the same .I figure if I am am going to replace the jib anyway why not I think this would a perfomance boost.This has been an interesting conversation and I appreciate any and all replies
    Thanks Tony
  • catsalorOK so I am convinced that my main is the right size for my nacra 5.2 but the jib is getting replaced I have 2 very strong mounting brackets on my mast the shrouds attach to the lower one and 3 feet higher I have another bracket the same . The jib I have could easily be 2 feet longer even mounted at the lower mast bracket right now my present jib is 6 feet at the foot 15 foot leech and 16 foot luff I want to attach it to my spin pole doing that I could accomodate a jib that is 21 ft tall it would seem a tall aspect sail is the way to go but how long would I make the foot or just leave it the same .I figure if I am am going to replace the jib anyway why not I think this would a perfomance boost.This has been an interesting conversation and I appreciate any and all replies
    Thanks Tony

What about: using your square top main, adding a foil for the forestay and get a larger jib. You can increase your luff and increase the foot a bit. But, do keep in mind if you keep adding horsepower, something else will give. If you have a spin pole, get a screacher on a furler and that can make life a lot easier.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • so yes I have a screecher but not very experienced at using it .I am thinking it is mostly a downwind sail and that is how I am using it.I just purchased a hobie 18sx jib slightly taller and will fit my mast nicely attached to my spin pole it will fit perfectly won't be sailing again till next season but already excited. One modification I made was to move the jib blocks to the front crossbar which moves the jib further out on the spin pole makes the tramp area more user friendly love it so far.I just found my new to me nacra 5.2 alot of fun to sail and think I will keep it a while.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.