Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

5.5 Nacra foil forestay correct rigging to mast/jib halyard correct rigging  Bottom

• My mast went down on 5.5 Nacra in June so I sailed my Dart 8 and crewed my friends trimaran- finally raised mast but since I only sailed 5.5 one else in June not sure if I have foil correct as to rigging to forestay- also I believe I didn't rig jib halyard correctly either(both differ from my 5.2,5.7 or 570!)I also don't have a clue as to how to rig 4sided stainless mast control apparatus that looks like a Triangle does anyone have photos or clear source for info Manuel stink on this it shows other Nacras not 5.5! I guess I could sail it as I set it up but all my friends suggested that 5.5 very perilous on a knock down because of foil and I really don't need straight spagetti(lines) in the way if it is not necesssary
  • The dolphin striker of the bowfoil goes upwards, as opposed to the one below the front beam. Not sure what you mean by 4 sided mast control device. If you mean the mast rotator, it points forward and you should have a couple cleats on the beam for it, to induce rotation. Forget about it until you feel you need it.
    I don’t see how the 5.5 is more dangerous than other cats. I’ve given a hard time to mine for several years and still haven’t dismasted. I’ve seen wires begining to fail and replaced them. I did diamasted on my previos n5.0, after the rivets of the shroud plate inside the hull failed (i think they shouldn’t have been rivets to start with). I think the danger is the age of these old ships and poor inspection /maintenance.
  • Finally got Ipad reception on island where 5.5 is located saw Manuel & confirmed foil was on correctly as u instruct but it appears that I have to adjust it by 2 taut lines from cleats on front beam to foil to keep it in position. My friends also advise pulley Nere top of mast for spinnickrer Not jib but I feel otherwise Manuel photo & explanation weak ,not concise ,not sure how jib is rigged correctly- as to demasting friend who helped me forgot to tighten main shackle that holds side stays & forestay found mast down in bay ,which I moor cats on , and shackle stil n place with both side stays stil being held without pin! Forestay gave and mast & stays all good just my "mast turds "buddies refused to help me raise mast again all summer and wanted me to sail my dart 18(which has major issues with mast due to wear) so I have been crewing on an astute trinity outrageous gennecker until this weekend, ps prior posts have explained wear and tear on our cats moor d on great South Bay south shore long island,ny .thanks for you help and guidance
  • You don’t need lines for the bowfoil, i can’t see why you feel you need to stabilize it. The wires of its dolphin striker have to be tightened from the turnbuckles, to produce a little prebend, so when the rig is tight while sailing it doesn’t bend the wrong way.
    Jib:
    Typically the forestay has a short pig tail with a block at the upper end, this is where the jib halyard goes through. You may run it down along the forestay, inside the zipper pocket, or along the mast. I use the latter because I can adjust while sailing. It is practical to figure out a way to have a 2:1 purchase to tension it. Typically it is a separate line at the lower part, to avoid having double length halyard. Hard to explain, I’m sure it’s on google already, that’s how I figured it out a while ago.
    About spinnaker vs jib, I’ve read about that. I guess you want to add a spi when you want to add a spi, not just because it’s better than jib. When you have it you will still have the jib and may decide if you prefer to leave it on the beach or not.
    About the rig shackle, I don’t like much your statement, rigging properly the boat is captains responsibility, friends or crew may help but they are not to be blamed for critical mistakes as this one. In fact if you are leaving the mast up for a while, you might want to put wire straps to secure this attachment and others. Also tighten some of the shackles with pliers. Otherwise you might be killing someone someday, and I’m sure they will come after the captain, not his friends

Edited by Andinista on Sep 04, 2018 - 07:46 AM.
  • If you run the halyard along the jib, you will want to remove the line in excess, as in the video above. If you run it along the mast, it's not a big deal, because you will likely store it on the tramp pocket anyway (you don't want to leave it on the beach, just in case). What I do for the 2:1 downhaul is as follows:
    - One end is tied to an eyestrap somewhere on the side of the mast, say about 20 cm or so above the base
    - Then thread it through a small block and to a cleat on the mast, not far from the eyestrap. Cleat pointing down.
    - The small block has a fast shackle, which is attached to a loop knot on the halyard, after the jib is hoisted. The loop is at a position that allows for adjustment. It will limit how far down the other end of the halyard will go, so you will need do figure out the right spot.
    Something like this (the picture of the right.. not my boat, found it on google):
    https://www.catsailor.com/bb_files/122011-leftmasts.JPG

Edited by Andinista on Sep 04, 2018 - 08:48 AM.
  • thanks for all your help , looks like 5.2 in photos except "wishbone"(mast rotator) on one i had was affixed below boom, owned 5.2 & 5.7 and sail 570 all the time, issue for me is up the mast if prior owners method of attachnent correct/safe; hobie 18 (used to have one with benches) you tube instructive(its easier on Dart 18s and prindles no wire) but forget about next video of righting turtled hobie 16- anyone who has had to do it in the ocean or elsewhere knows you Must uncleat main and jib and preferable to have and use 2 righting lines( Not tied around your waist )is safer and faster-easier. i always electrical tape All shackles/fittings, Friend who affixed shackle experienced sailor ,owns 5 cats and is a windsurfer, and apologized, we were too excited to try 5.5 out and were rigging Tornado simultaneously(no excuse) i am still concerned about foil and getting tangled up in a capsize which happened years ago to a friend, and foil only "sits" straight if 'supported' by lines which is more spaggetti than i am comfortable with
  • nofearofflying foil only "sits" straight if 'supported' by lines which is more spaggetti than i am comfortable with

That sounds wrong, never happened to me and never heard something like that. I wouldn’t sail that boat before figuring out the problem, no guarantee that those lines will keep it in place under load. Post some pictures, we might see something
  • Unthinkable again for your input will take photos sat or sun when I am on island where 5.5 moored
  • Thats much thanks again ,not unthinkable ,my iPad sometimes overrides
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130419&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=eb440caeb6a7f8c67bf987f3fc6fa3ac

Here you can see my bowfoil. The line is just a towing line, no tension on it.
    The jib downhaul is visible too, it is actually a 3:1

On this video at 0:10 you can see a bit more the bowfoil fro the side.

https://vimeo.com/251913569
  • thank u again foil shown 50 seconds into video

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.