Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Wax or Sealant ?  Bottom

• Ok got the one 18 Hobie cleaned up buffed and polished whew ! Now do I wax it or use sealant ? I've always used wax it looks good for a while but doesn't last ! never used sealant does sealant last the whole year ? what works best Gelcoat labs , 303 , Poli Glow , 31 marine or ?

--
    H14
    H16
    H18
    H18
    --
  • i like newglass2

some like car wax (i don't want to hold a power buffer for hours)
    some floor wax (pass)
    some like other sealants ...

i think the end is the same ... you either reapply every x months or it fade/stains
    pic your fav way to apply

x months = uv, salt, and all other exposure you have. If you wash your boat after use and tarp it, it will extend the reapply interval -

for me .. it's 10 laps around my boat with newglass2 2x a year

i would not use 303 on my decks or gunnels or anywhere my butt, feet or hands would be during inboard and trapping. that stuff is pure lubricant.

Edited by MN3 on Aug 10, 2018 - 08:50 PM.
  • The only thing I have used on my boat is Starbrite Marine Polish, keeps the gelcoat super slick and shiny, I haven't waxed it at all.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • in812Ok got the one 18 Hobie cleaned up buffed and polished whew ! Now do I wax it or use sealant ? I've always used wax it looks good for a while but doesn't last ! never used sealant does sealant last the whole year ? what works best Gelcoat labs , 303 , Poli Glow , 31 marine or ?

On both my cats and my motor boat I always use Maguires marine wax after cuttimg / polishing

https://www.amazon.com.au…ium-Marine/dp/B0007TR47G

Wax helps protect the gelcoat from UV and contaminantes, in my experience if you dont wax it you will be polishing it again sooner. I hear 3M do some pretty good stuff too (I use their cutting compound) but the Maguires works so well I have never bother to look at which of their vast range of products to use instead.

Also dont use car waxes, some of them turn a funny colour when immersed in salt water

Ants
  • Klasse and like one other are the only sealants that can survive upward of a year. Everything else is pretty much gone in a month or two regardless of what the bottle says.
  • Newglass 2 lasts for about 8 months of non summer fl sun
    or about 4 months of including summer sun (tarped during the week used most weekends, left on the beach for the weekend)

so 2x a year
    IF you keep up with it, you just have to put a couple coats on (with a synthetic shammy) to reseal in the shine (and it is very shinny)

IF you wait till it start to fail and yellow, you need to strip it, and use acid or other to get the discoloration off you hulls first. it seals in any stain you may have
  • in812what works best Gelcoat labs , 303 , Poli Glow , 31 marine or ?

I have been using this Starbrite product for years and it seems to work quite well. Once you have your hulls shined up nicely apply twice a year to keep them shiny and slick.

https://www.walmart.com/i…with-PTEF-16-oz/51201190

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • martyr Starbrite Marine Polish

how many coats / laps around the boat per application?
    how often?
  • aquaaddictMaguires marine wax after cuttimg / polishing

how often?

Quotecuttimg

???

Edited by MN3 on Aug 13, 2018 - 07:16 PM.
  • tamumpower1Klasse

(you said) how often
  • Guess I was hoping for the new miracle potion ? Guess it all has drawbacks so I just order some more 3M wax I know how to deal with that ! (Hold the buffer for hours LOL)
    Thanks for all the replies

Edited by in812 on Aug 14, 2018 - 12:57 AM.

--
    H14
    H16
    H18
    H18
    --
  • MN3
    aquaaddictMaguires marine wax after cuttimg / polishing

how often?

Quotecuttimg

???Edited by MN3 on Aug 13, 2018 - 07:16 PM.

Cutting: using abrasive compound to 'cut' back the surface a fraction to remove surface contamination. 'Fiberglass restorer' in its simplist (and most often its lightest) form, some products are more aggressive and depends how you use them (pressure and speed), how much you need depends on how bad it has gotten.

Applying wax is normally the easy part, normally just one coat easy on and buff, you should not need to spend hours with the electric polisher, thats what you do before waxing with the 'restorer' to cut the surface gradually redusing pressure / insensity to to get rid of swirl marks etc. Just like painting all the work is in the prep before waxing.

(above all in my experience of hanging around boat yards, others may do it differently)

Ants

Edited by aquaaddict on Aug 14, 2018 - 04:11 PM.
  • I apply one good coat by hand, remove by hand, then use a buffer, once a year so far.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • MN3i would not use 303 on my decks or gunnels or anywhere my butt, feet or hands would be during inboard and trapping.

Agreed.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.