Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sol Cat question  Bottom

• I bought a used Sol Cat with some of the parts in a box. Never owned a beach cat before like this one. There are 4 lines attached to metal rings each about 18" long with a single pulley (or block) and a little plastic adjuster. Anyway I don't know what they are to adjust. Thought maybe the traveler somehow but doesn't look like any traveler I've seen and no where to fasten it unless I missed something and then why would there be 4 not 2. Boat appears to be missing the travelers lines so if that's what they are for I would appreciate someone explaining it to me. It's a pretty nice looking boat not like my old one. (I think she's dead.)
  • Hi, I have a Solcat and sail it frequently. I am not formula with the set up you described. It may be some ones own modification. I would happy to talk if it would help.

Let me know, Jeff O

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • I used to sail a sol 18. The only things attached to the travelers are either jib or sheet blocks. There was nothing on the one I used to sail that looked like anything of what you describe. I take it by your description that the four lines are 18" and not the metal rings. If that is the case then it sounds like a main sheet block system. But there should be two blocks. If there is a boom on your sol it might be a vang that attaches midpoint under the boom and then down on the deck somewhere.

• strategyI bought a used Sol Cat with some of the parts in a box. Never owned a beach cat before like this one. There are 4 lines attached to metal rings each about 18" long with a single pulley (or block) and a little plastic adjuster. Anyway I don't know what they are to adjust. Thought maybe the traveler somehow but doesn't look like any traveler I've seen and no where to fasten it unless I missed something and then why would there be 4 not 2. Boat appears to be missing the travelers lines so if that's what they are for I would appreciate someone explaining it to me. It's a pretty nice looking boat not like my old one. (I think she's dead.)

You might be looking at trapeze adjustment tackle for a dual trap setup. Take a picture and post in beachcats technical. then we can be sure.

And as for the main traveler, my Sol Cat is rigged with an eyestrap on the back side of the rear beam. a line is threaded through from the bottom up, then between the two pulleys on the traveler. Finally the line is threaded through the swiveling cleat mounted on the central crossbeam.

Hope this helps,
    Dan
  • Thanks that makes sense. I set up the traveler the same as yours yesterday.
  • danlocks
    And as for the main traveler, my Sol Cat is rigged with an eyestrap on the back side of the rear beam. a line is threaded through from the bottom up, then between the two pulleys on the traveler. Finally the line is threaded through the swiveling cleat mounted on the central crossbeam.

Well, live and learn. I sailed with a Hobie16 guy the other day, and he showed me a nifty trick for rigging the traveler:

Take the bitter end of the main sheet (the long extra annoy bit that gets tangled ends up dragging behind you), and thread it through the swiveling cleat, between the sheaves of the traveler, and down to throught the eyestrap. Tie a stopper knot.

This is cool for a number of reasons: one less rope to futz with, and you always have the right rope in your hand to play the traveler, if you're say, out on the trap and need to trim the traveler remotely or something.

Dan

Here's an even better way: instead of a separate rope, use the bitter end of the mainsheet, and thread it through the same path, except the reverse of what I described above. Fewer ropes, and you always have the traveler adjustment line in your hand.

I picked this tip up from one of the hobie sailors on the beach.
  • If you don't have them already, you might want the brochures and assembly manual that can be found in the Sol Cat album inside "Beachcats Identification"

There are also some nice pics of a fully rigged Sol Cat 18 in there.
    Sol Cat Album
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=46849&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=8011f61be71ac3712a3b68e28460c01a

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • damonAdminIf you don't have them already, you might want the brochures and assembly manual that can be found in the Sol Cat album inside "Beachcats Identification"

There are also some nice pics of a fully rigged Sol Cat 18 in there.

I have those instructions but they don't even mention a traveler, let alone rigging it. For everything else, the instructions were quite helpful. I haven't had good luck looking at pictures for most rigging. Since the pics are not intended to be instructional, the details needed for rigging are difficult to discern. EG, there are piles of rope where I need to see a rope path, or bit I need to see is obscured by a grinning sailor.

I guess the answer here is to take some pictures of how I rig things and post 'em icon_smile
  • danlocks
    I guess the answer here is to take some pictures of how I rig things and post 'em icon_smile

Yes! It would be great to have a rigging guide for every boat with close-up pictures, you don't have to be an expert, just clear pictures. Here's an example of rigging pictures.
    Hobie 14 Rigging Guide

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.