Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Advise on pricing a Prindle 18-2  Bottom

• I have been hunting for a cat for a few months now and finally found the person who seems to have abandoned an 18-2 at my club. I asked about it and apparently it was her late husbands joy. He bought it from a fella who won Worlds on it (not sure what year). Before he passed he bought a new square top main for it. She said she planned on buying new lines for it and sailing it. I asked about buying it and she said "make an offer".

So whats the going rate for a Prindle 18-2 with trailer, fiberglass sail box, possibly two mains, and pneumatic cat trax? It will need cleanup but I am pretty sure it is in good shape. She mentioned the sail box is full of stuff.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • I would say the current range for classic beachcats is about $1200 - $2500 depending on condition and gear

sail box is a great add on
    cat trax too

these items have value but don't significantly add to the value of the overall package
    i.e. this boat can sell for the same amount with or without those items

2 mains is great, but means nothing if the old one is spent

If the boat is sound i would start the offer around 1500 but we willing to go higher
  • If all it needs is a scrub, it would be worth $3k easily over here. A clean trailer, new sails, goodies and wheels would seal the deal.

If it also had beach storage with it, it would be quickly scooped up.

Between $2-3k sounds like a bargain. But only you can see the boat.

Good luck

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • I just bought a Prindle 18-2 for $200, but after the owner couldn't find the jib sail or the jib blocks for it he refunded me the $200.. Even at the $200 sans the jib sail and blocks it was a steal as it had a nice almost new beach-wheel w/cradles and a homemade cat-box that I have already sent to the junk heap... the boards and the blades are in excellent shape, and it has the upgraded rudder system..

Here is it after the first layer of crud was wahed off of it

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37685217_10215419964665130_8293709864371224576_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c6235e5d7816cca1dfd7fbd7a1be7bbf&oe=5C0EBEAC

But as they say, "there is no such thing as a free boat....!!!!"

I am going to be out about $1500 to $2000 to get it back into shape with a new tramp, new jib sail, new running and standing rigging, rubbing compound, Finess-It, and wax I already have a vast collection of Harkin hardware from over the years so the jib blocks are not an issue..

In the end, I am going to have a pretty nice 18-2 for about $2K and some sore shoulders from the "wax-on.... wax off" dance...

Getting back to your question, in your situation, I would ask the owner what they would like to sell it for... and really wouldn't dicker too much from there as there is an attachment to the boat... You may be pleasantly surprised at what they come back with...

As it being a worlds boat, seem to rember Jay and Pease Glaser (Glaser Sails) did really well in this class for a number of years... would be pretty cool if it was one of their boats..

Edited by JohnES on Aug 04, 2018 - 11:38 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.