Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Radio - what channel?  Bottom

• For reference, I'm one of the Dunedin Causeway sailors. I've got a waterproof VHF radio for when we head out to the gulf, but I have no idea what channel to set it to. I know the Coast Guard has emergency channels, but I'm not sure where to find the appropriate one for us. I also don't know if there is a better option, i.e., a channel local boaters monitor but doesn't involve calling the Coast Guard.

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • Channel 16 is intended for "emergencies and hailing" and should be monitored by all vessels equipped with a marine VHF radio. If your traffic is non-emergency and after you've made initial contact with the other vessel, switch to a different channel so as not to clutter the channel. Some areas that are managed by VTS or similar will also monitor a second (or third) channel. But everyone is still supposed to monitor 16. The important thing to remember is not to waste time chit chatting on 16, once you've made contact, switch to another channel.
  • All of the vhf channels have a specific purpose and only a handful are intended for recreational conversation. Even such, the discussions should be kept as brief as possible. There was a good article on vhf usage by PU in one of the Hobie Hotlines a few years back but I haven’t been able to locate.

Google found this one....
    https://www.saltwaterspor…s/use-right-vhf-channels

sm
  • Thanks all for the assistance. If I'm capsized and having difficulty righting the boat, I'm thinking a request for assistance on Channel 9 is the way to go. If I'm capsized and someone's injured, I'm thinking that Channel 16 is the way to go and the cavalry will likely arrive. Agree?

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • I have very limited experience with VHF radios (own one but just carry it on board, virtually never use it), so someone with more experience may correct me on this, but to my knowledge, any distress calls should be made on 16.

A non-life-threatening distress call would be initiated with the phrase "PAN-PAN" repeated 3 times. A life-threatening distress call would be initiated with the phrase "MADAY" repeated 3 times.

sm

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.