Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

So...i blew my back out raising the main...great  Bottom

• Not how you'd think. I have an old back injury that I have to do regular exercises for but it hasnt flared up real bad in 4-5 years. Had the mainsail almost all the way up. Stood up on one side of the mast, leaned around so I could put a hand on both sides of the main to shuffle it up the last bit and gave a little ummph while my back was leaned off to the side and twisted. Bam, felt like a bomb went off in my lower back.

Still went out for an hour because I had a passenger but felt like crap. If I was in a seated position it's ok but when I tried to walk back to my truck I discovered, hey I can't walk. Pretty much I jacked up a disc and now have psycho sciatic nerve pain, can't stand without supporting my upper body on something. I travel and walk around all day for work so I have 2 days to un gimp myself before I have to fly out wednesday morning.

Don't do what I did. Worst day of my life hands down, effectively turned myself into a paralyzed sack of potatoes. Thanks obama

Edited by tamumpower1 on Jul 16, 2018 - 08:45 PM.
  • damn that sucks

hope ya heal fast.
  • Hope you get to feeling better! I get boat bite or a funky twist every time setting up a boat, esp my Hobie 20. I doubt a very fit ex president has anything to do with it tho..... I was born in Hawaii as well. No kidding.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Spend the money this winter & take the sail to sailmaker & have new Teflon luff tape replacing old over bolt rope. Cost about $150. I see this all the time, but not with people with new sails. Pete
  • The sail actually goes up pretty good, I just always manually take up the last 6-12" before hooking it. A new tape might not be a bad idea though, or maybe I should just buy an innertube and rope so I can just get towed around by other people, I think that might be my future for awhile here. Boats gettin parked and moving to it's new life as a spiderweb exhibit until further notice lol
  • Are you standing in front of the mast to hoist? If so, that sounds extremely difficult.

On my H18, I can generally just unroll the sail on the tramp, point the bows into the wind, and then stand behind the boat (foot on rear crossbar) and raise the sail. In the rare case where it needs a little assistance, I can walk up onto the tramp and feed it up, but if I have a crew, I would just have them stand in front of the mast and guide while I hoist.

sm
  • DogboyAre you standing in front of the mast to hoist? If so, that sounds extremely difficult.

On my H18, I can generally just unroll the sail on the tramp, point the bows into the wind, and then stand behind the boat (foot on rear crossbar) and raise the sail. In the rare case where it needs a little assistance, I can walk up onto the tramp and feed it up, but if I have a crew, I would just have them stand in front of the mast and guide while I hoist.

sm

I sit on the tramp and feed it while I hoist. What messed me up was standing and leaning around the mast to put my left hand on the opposite side of the main to my right and giving it a shove. Was just at a weird angle and fully twisted because I wasn’t standing in front of the boat. That amount of compression mixed with my spine being misaligned was all it took.
  • I recommend a physical therapist certified, or at least familiar with the McKenzie method. I have a friend who is, and this stuff works!

https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/what-mckenzie-method-back-pain-and-neck-pain

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • Sorry to hear that Matt hope you make a speedy recovery. Back pain is the worst. Good Luck.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • chump23I recommend a physical therapist certified, or at least familiar with the McKenzie method. I have a friend who is, and this stuff works!

https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/what-mckenzie-method-back-pain-and-neck-pain

thanks guys. And yea I’ll check that out
  • We old guys have to be careful about twisting and pulling, I hope that you feel better soon. Biofreeze is great for pain by the way, I know, I use it a lot!!! Lol!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • rum is the standard pirate medicine
    take:
    2 in the morning
    2 at brunch
    2 at lunch
    2 in the afternoon
    2 in early eve
    2 before bed

can almost guarantee your back wont "feel" as bad after that (or at all), and then your head will hurt more, making you forget your back

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.