Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Buying a trailer without a title?  Bottom

• Now that I've found a good boat for a good price, I learn that the seller doesn't have a title or current registration for the trailer. He's in Maryland, I'm in North Carolina. That's 3 states I would have to cross, potentially without plates or a valid registration. I'm confident that the trailer isn't stolen, it's just so old and has been in storage for so long it's never been titled. I checked on line and it seems that all three states (MD, VA, NC) have different trailer registration requirements.

So my question is, what's the easiest, cheapest, fastest way of getting the boat and trailer back home? Or is this nothing to worry about? Just get a bill of sale and sort it out when I get home?
  • Does NC have a transit tag. VA has one although it's only supposed to be good in VA.
    Will the seller leave the old tag on? Do you have access to a trailer tag from NC.
    Some tag is better than no tag.
    Good luck, GH

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • gahamby
    Good luck, GH

That can end you up with a nice fine and a confiscated boat and trailer until they are able to sort it out.. if they really want to be p____s about it..

I would get the bill of sale, hit the local AAA office if you're a member get the paper work done, get a temp tag or registration and be on your merry way... have the owner come with so you they can sign and affidavit or a statement of fact.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Walk in
    Hi I have a home built trailer that weighs 350lbs I need to register
    Walk out with plate and new registration ID.

My trailer ID plaques are long gone so I couldn’t even tell you if the plate is on the same trailer it was registered for and neither could a troopa.
  • JohnES
    gahamby
    Good luck, GH

That can end you up with a nice fine and a confiscated boat and trailer until they are able to sort it out.. if they really want to be p____s about it..

Yeah, that's what I'm sort of afraid of. That's all I need, to have my new boat confiscated 500 miles from home. :(

The trailer doesn't have any plates. The seller has a boat ramp in his back yard (lucky devil) so doesn't ever take it on the road.

I'm not a member of AAA but I think I'll give DMV a call on Monday.
  • You definitely need to call DMV. I was abel to get a NC tag for a trailer from RI I think, with a notorized bill of sale , had to be a original COPY, not fax or email. It took five months to get title afterwards. Had tire blow out on way home and knocked tag off trailer on trip home and was not able to get new tag till i got title. Also I sold boat in those five months and found out after that the trailer title when sold in NC NOW AFTER THE FIRST OF YEAR has to be notorized by both buyer and seller at same time of sale. We neither had any idea at time, and Will have to drive hundreds of miles again to complete sale. Also check condition of trailer, I had new tires bearing hubs put on , but shop didn't look closely at spring hangers, and on one broke on way home and allowed tire to rub on fender and blow out. After four hours of creative engineering it was rigged to make it home on spare. You will need a VIN off the trailer or old paperwork. I have had better luck piggy backing the cat and trailerer of unknown condition on another with sufficient compacity to carry both. I have found it easier to put on opposite directions when loading the two. You may be able to get a home built titel in NC, but if factory looking built, they typically don't allow now. I believe there is a bonded way to get title thought.
    Side note, the local tax office said my twenty year old trailer was worth $12000 from vin#, an taxed me on it based on this amount, never mind the $500 notorized bill of sale, but they would accept a certified appraisal to reconsider, never mind it cost more than tax paid. Bottom line ask lots of questions from state officials before proceeding especially for out of state trailers.

--
    Tomcat 6.2
    Supercat 20 / 17
    Searunner 16 Tri home built
    --
  • tamumpower1Walk in
    Hi I have a home built trailer that weighs 350lbs I need to register
    Walk out with plate and new registration ID.

Sure - you can lie to the tax collector - and probably get away with it but it's good to know what the penalties are
    in florida:

(6) Any person who registers his or her motor vehicle by means of false or fraudulent representations made in any application for registration is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. The department may demand the return of, and may cancel, any license plate issued based on false or fraudulent representations.
    http://www.leg.state.fl.u…0300-0399/0320/0320.html

(b) For a misdemeanor of the second degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 60 days.
    http://www.leg.state.fl.u…5/Sections/0775.082.html

(e) $500, when the conviction is of a misdemeanor of the second degree or a noncriminal
    http://www.leg.state.fl.u…5/Sections/0775.083.html

we had a local argue with the tax collector. he was trying to register his dart20 without any papers (the state didn't require registration of boats under 20' in the past so few titles their boats ( why pay taxes if you don't have to register it), this has changed). he raised a stink with them and they turned it around and said: we suspect you of trying to register a stolen boat and are sending a sheriff to your house to inspect this boat. if we have any suspicion of theft, we will arrest you and impound the boat. he ran home and chopped up the boat with a chain saw. lucky he wasn't arrested for "destroying evidence".

Also we had a local try to register a trailer as a home-built: they sent him home (without registration) and told him they require proof of where he got the metal and axle

Edited by MN3 on Jul 09, 2018 - 10:21 AM.
  • Different states have different rules... it complicates things going multi-state and risks taking things to a federal level of enforcement if stickiness ensues. I'm willing to bend state laws a little, but not interstate. Nuh-uh.

I strongly recommend getting it all managed in the state of origin, as much as possible, and then checking again with your own state once you get it home. Research as much as you can in advance, but in the end, buying older, odder things has a few risks... and keeping inside a budget can

I've acquired multiple motorcycles out-of-state and brought them into California to work through registration on my own schedule... in all cases, I transported them back home on my own trailer. If the trailer on the ground is properly registered, it simplifies transport with the constabulary and road-tax folks, and also reduces excitement induced by riding/driving/towing unknown mechanical bits home. Any chance you can rent/borrow/buy a flatbed trailer to retrieve the soon-to-be-yours boat and trailer? A little blocking under the trailer and strapping to secure the load and you'll reduce many of the unknowns...

Once you do get it home, if needed, it is pretty simple to fabricate/remanufacture a trailer, and most older trailers can benefit from upgraded/renewed axles, brakes, springs, tongue, and coupler. Everyone has to set their own level of comfort with meeting their interpretation of local laws. $500 is a drop in the bucket for the size boat I recall you seeking, and it would be truly trivial to run that up in trailer parts/repairs and be able to confidently/truthfully say that you home-built/rebuilt the trailer, with receipts to match.

Randii
  • I would find out if your state requires a title or registration for boat trailers. My state does not require registration or titles on boat trailers but they do require utility trailers to have tags/registrations. Pulling the boat through multiple states should be okay regardless of what the state laws are regarding registration on the trailer, as long as you have a bill of sale, you should be okay. My boat was in Florida at the previous owner's beach house when I bought it, but it was actually registered in Tennessee because that was where the owner's primary residence was. The trailer was not required to be registered in Tennessee or Florida and I live in Alabama. I pulled the boat home, 4 hours away from where it was in Florida and I didnt have any problem at all, was never stopped or asked about trailer registration. I have pulled the boat to Florida and back home also without any issues. Check with your local dmv about boat and trailer registration and go from there. If your state requires registration on the trailer, well, you can't register it until you get it home right? A bill of sale should be all that you would need so that you can show proof that the boat and trailer belong to you, and when you get the boat home, you will have "x" amount of days to get the boat registered and the trailer registered if required.

Edited by martyr on Jul 09, 2018 - 08:31 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • A title and registration is required for boat trailers in North Carolina (where I live).
  • I'm not sure if my info will help, but I'm from Ontario Canada and I bought my prindle with trailor in the state of Pennsylvania last December. The boat did have a registration and the trailor was homemade. I did the all the paperwork at the DMV office in Pennsylvania. I paid $60 for temporary plates that were good for one month. Then I drove the boat with trailor back into Canada. So I traveled across Pennsylvania and new York states and into Canada without any issues. The DMV office was critical in helping me bring purchase across two states and into Canada. Good luck!

--
    Frank
    Prindle 15/Hobie 16/Hobie 14T
    --
  • randii...

I strongly recommend getting it all managed in the state of origin, as much as possible, and then checking again with your own state once you get it home. Research as much as you can in advance, but in the end, buying older, odder things has a few risks... and keeping inside a budget can

I've acquired multiple motorcycles out-of-state and brought them into California to work through registration on my own schedule... in all cases, I transported them back home on my own trailer. If the trailer on the ground is properly registered, it simplifies transport with the constabulary and road-tax folks, and also reduces excitement induced by riding/driving/towing unknown mechanical bits home. Any chance you can rent/borrow/buy a flatbed trailer to retrieve the soon-to-be-yours boat and trailer? A little blocking under the trailer and strapping to secure the load and you'll reduce many of the unknowns...

Randii

Completely agree with Randii. As an alternative, once you know you have everything you need to register the trailer in your home state, another option is to rent a U-Haul box truck if you don't have your own trailer. I've toyed with picking up a sunfish or very small cat (wish the Mystere 4.3 was closer than Indianapolis) and even in state I'd just throw it in a truck. No muss, no fuss and you can sort things out at DMV on your schedule.

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • I brought my SC15 to VA from PA with a tag from my H14 trailer no problem. I guess I had pretty good luck.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.