Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Gcat 5.7 shroud anchors  Bottom

• Are Gcat 5.7 shroud anchors/crossbar anchors the same as Hobie 16 shroud anchors? Sure looks like it, want to make sure before I order 10 of them
  • I can speak to the shroud anchor bars on the G-cat 5.7 as I had a failure of the port shroud anchor which led to a dis-masting and I coordinated on the repair with Hans.

Early G-cat 5.7's had a solid steel bar 6 inches long trapped under the lip at the outboard joint where the top deck is bonded to the hull. These tended to pull through ripping off the deck in heavier sailing conditions. Hans told me later G-cat 5.7's spread the load over a larger area with a solid steel bar 8" long. I upgraded to a 12 inch thick-walled steel tube with same outside dimension as the solid steel bar and half the weight of the 8" solid steel bar. Hans approved.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bradinjax on Jun 25, 2018 - 10:09 AM.
  • When you say steel, do you mean stainless steel? Really don't want any steel on my boat. Also, are the anchor bolts attached on the backside of the bar with just nuts and washers? I figured a threaded bar was stronger. Thinking of welding some tabs onto the current bars and then fastening them to the hull, but just getting longer bars sounds easier. It does seem like a lot of stress to be putting on the deck lip.
  • Yes, 8 inch stainless steel solid bar drilled through and not threaded is the stock solution. The anchor pin just has a washer and elastic stop nut securing it. The anchor bar is pretty simple but suprisingly heavy. The stainless thick wall 12 inch pipe is the way to go in my opinion. It distributes the load over a greater area and is much lighter.

I had the early version (6inch) anchor when I had my failure. with 2x 180 lb guys and 20+mph wind gusting past 30 and pointing like crazy in race conditions for the Mug Race. When it failed it ripped off 18 inches of deck. Ironically, about 2 hours before the failure Hans told me I should get that upgraded.

Brad
  • Thank you sir! Very helpful.

Headed down to St Pete this weekend to buy a parts boat unseen, maybe it will have some updated anchors.
  • jalexThank you sir! Very helpful.

Headed down to St Pete this weekend to buy a parts boat unseen, maybe it will have some updated anchors.

if it's sunday - 25th annual liberty race in dunedin

if you like to watch the start of a cat/portsmith race ... or like to go to the skippers meetings of races (i do both)
    meeting is scheduled @ 1030

Edited by MN3 on Jun 26, 2018 - 05:51 PM.
  • Quoteif it's sunday - 25th annual liberty race in dunedin

if you like to watch the start of a cat/portsmith race ... or like to go to the skippers meetings of races (i do both)
    meeting is scheduled @ 1030

Thanks, I'll probably just turn and burn but I'll keep it in mind

Edited by jalex on Jun 27, 2018 - 03:10 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.