Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Gluing a Hobie 16  Bottom

• Oops, never mind, saw my old post on this..we will be using the release prior to glueing

Getting ready to glue a Hobie 16 would like to use mold release on the beams is this appropriate?
    We are using the West system with 206 hardener and the 404 filler
    Planned on using the CRC silicone mold release

Edited by carl2 on Jun 23, 2018 - 12:06 PM.
  • Is mold release used in case you want to take the boat apart again?

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Yes, you can release the parts by applying paste wax to the beams and pylons before epoxying. This will aid with disassembly if needed in the future.

sm
  • PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) is a better release than paste wax. It can be purchased in 16 or 32 oz spray bottles and is easily applied. Gel coat or resin will not stick the coated parts. PVA overspray is easily cleaned off. This is much more reliable than paste wax. Just search for PVA mold release, and many results will appear.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I was reading about this very subject over on the Hobie forum and it was recommended to use something like 3M5200 marine adhesive instead of epoxy if you wanted to still be able to take the boat apart later on. Any thoughts?

--
    Marty
    --
  • Whoever recommended that doesn't have a clue. 3M 5200 is a permanent adhesive/sealant and you would never get the boat apart (I recall a thread from a while ago where someone used 5200 to glue the beams on a Hobie 20 and they ended up ripping off the gelcoat/fiberglass while trying to disassemble the boat).

5200 also isn't as hard as epoxy, so the frame wouldn't end up being as rigid. Definitely do not use 5200.

sm
  • DogboyWhoever recommended that doesn't have a clue. 3M 5200 is a permanent adhesive/sealant and you would never get the boat apart (I recall a thread from a while ago where someone used 5200 to glue the beams on a Hobie 20 and they ended up ripping off the gelcoat/fiberglass while trying to disassemble the boat).

5200 also isn't as hard as epoxy, so the frame wouldn't end up being as rigid. Definitely do not use 5200.

sm

+1 on Dogboys comments
    3m 5200 is a great product, but not for this application. Use the epoxy with whatever mold release you end up choosing

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Okay well, it was a very old thread, and I just read it again, it seems the person was talking about using the softer adhesive to stop a squeaky side bar, not gluing the corners and pylons. Wrong info, my bad.

--
    Marty
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.