Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

nacra boards  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Does anyone know if boards from other nacra catamarans will fit on a Nacra 5.2 ?
  • Yep, 5.5, 5.8. All the same. Some might have holes cut in the top to reduce windage and give a handle but the profile and everything are the same.
  • Hole for reduced windage? Might want to check your aero text book, that big hole is super draggy when sailing to windward.

It exists to provide a handle and some form of weight reduction. Please note all the new boats don't have those, a big reason being the loads on longer high aspect ratio boards are very high and a big gap in the middle of the board at the second highest load bearing location is a good waste of material.
  • Thats good to know because I want a spare set
  • Depends on the size of the hole. You wouldn’t have them up going to windward. You pull a foot on a beam reach so you don’t snap a board when it’s blowing above 15. At that point the hole is above the load point so strength isn’t an issue with having a hole.

Regardless that’s what the old nacra guys told me was the intention. Not my words.
  • tamumpower1Yep, 5.5, 5.8. All the same. Some might have holes cut in the top to reduce windage and give a handle but the profile and everything are the same.

5.8 boards are NOT the same as 5.2 boards.

5.2, 5.5 and most 18 square boards are the same.

5.8 and 6.0 boards are the same.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • nacra55
    tamumpower1Yep, 5.5, 5.8. All the same. Some might have holes cut in the top to reduce windage and give a handle but the profile and everything are the same.

I’m no expert but I’ve seen an 5.8 and it’s boards and they were the same as regular boards. The nacra boards Murray used to sell were listed at fitting the 5.8 as well as the others. Discuss

Edited by tamumpower1 on Jun 22, 2018 - 08:50 PM.
  • tamumpower1
    nacra55
    tamumpower1Yep, 5.5, 5.8. All the same. Some might have holes cut in the top to reduce windage and give a handle but the profile and everything are the same.

I’m no expert but I’ve seen an 5.8 and it’s boards and they were the same as regular boards. The nacra boards Murray used to sell were listed at fitting the 5.8 as well as the others. DiscussEdited by tamumpower1 on Jun 22, 2018 - 08:50 PM.

Matt, Follow this link, and download the nacra parts catalog, go to the 4th page and look for parts 1030 and 1032.

https://www.thebeachcats.…067&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • 5.8 boards are bigger
    There’s a pair of 5.2 on the classifieds
    You normally find on eBay too
  • tamumpower1Yep, 5.5, 5.8. All the same. Some might have holes cut in the top to reduce windage and give a handle but the profile and everything are the same.

Are you thinking of the rudders? The boards for the 5.2 and 5.5 are the same, the 5.8 and 6.0 will be too thick, and too wide they'll never fit in the centerboard bunks.

Regarding the holes on the boards reducing windage... when did they legalize pot in FL? icon_lol

Edited by JohnES on Jun 24, 2018 - 01:44 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Hold on, let me go swing a piece of plywood through the air and compare the drag to a tennis racket.
  • Here I thought I asked a simple question about boards so 5.5 and 5.2 are interchangeable but sorry I don't know what an 18 square is? Most of the time that I have seen nacra boards there is a black line drawn across would that be the working depth or just a way to even up the boards or?

Thanks in advance for the good info
  • catsalorHere I thought I asked a simple question about boards so 5.5 and 5.2 are interchangeable but sorry I don't know what an 18 square is? Most of the time that I have seen nacra boards there is a black line drawn across would that be the working depth or just a way to even up the boards or?

It’s the hulls an original 5.5 was made from.
  • QuoteIt’s the hulls an original 5.5 was made from.

--
    Matt
    '82 NACRA 18 Square "Bangarang"
    '85 Hobie 18 "Honey Badger Don't Care"
    '86 Hobie 18 "The Rippin & The Tearin"
    Dunedin, FL
    --

tamumpower1
    catsalorHere I thought I asked a simple question about boards so 5.5 and 5.2 are interchangeable but sorry I don't know what an 18 square is? Most of the time that I have seen nacra boards there is a black line drawn across would that be the working depth or just a way to even up the boards or?

18 square is a catamaran? I'm confused
  • 18 feet long max, 18 sq/m of sail, anything else goes. Open class from back in the day. Nacra at first used 5.2 hulls but then stretched them to 18 feet long with a beam usually around 11', unirig. The beam was then shrunk to normal width and the 18 foot long hulls became the 5.5 uni, then a jib was added and the sloop 5.5 was created.
    https://preview.ibb.co/f04Puo/33532270_10113095191508124_6830217307495596032_n.jpg
  • tamumpower1
    catsalorHere I thought I asked a simple question about boards so 5.5 and 5.2 are interchangeable but sorry I don't know what an 18 square is? Most of the time that I have seen nacra boards there is a black line drawn across would that be the working depth or just a way to even up the boards or? Thanks in advance for the good info

Other way around, the 18 Square was first... then came the 5.5 Uni, then the 5.5 sloop rig... I think the first one was built for Skip Elliott. When the 5.5 Sloop Rig came out they discontinued the 5.2 in 1984... Legend has it there are a few 1985 5.2's out there as these were made for the 5.2 Worlds held in Japan..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Kinda got a post echo going on lol. The way I wrote that means the square was first. A 5.5 was made from the squares hulls
  • 5.5 BOARDS SMALLER LIGHTER IN WEIGHT THAN 5.2 BOARDS, BUT 5.2 BOARDS WILL FIT INTO "WELLS " ON 5.5
  • The answer to the original question is that the newer NACRA boards are slightly thicker than the boards for the 5.2, but with only slight modification to the trunks you can use these thicker newer boards on the 5.2. I needed a replacement board some years back and got the thicker board and made the minor modification and it works just fine. I have also modified my old board to have the nice handle in it, so they both match in appearance too.

For sure the new shape is slightly stronger than the original 5.2 board, but with that comes some additional drag. I have since also repaired the older damaged board and am using it as a spare.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=124444&g2_imageViewsIndex=1&g2_GALLERYSID=f0e2d9cbd3c180eaf9ac843a1c993ffd

Edited by dmgbear55 on Jun 25, 2018 - 11:36 PM.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • [quote=JohnES]
    tamumpower1

Regarding the holes on the boards reducing windage... when did they legalize pot in FL? icon_lol Edited by JohnES on Jun 24, 2018 - 01:44 PM.

SMDH. Agree John, crazy some of the stuff you read on the web!

Obviously, "somebody" has never tried to put a 5.8/6.0 board in a 5.5 slot.

--
    Philip
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.