Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Good sail\camp trips  Bottom

• Think I convinced my hiking buddies to do a sail\camp trip for a week in the early fall. I have done the Keys, Southwest Fl, and I live in the Florida Panhandle and have covered most of it. All three of these are good options but what else is good? Maybe coastal Georgia? Don't want to spend too much time on travel so Pacific Northwest is out.
  • Where are you in the Panhandle. I'm thinking you could sail along the coast from Panama City to Pensacola and stop along the way at a few state parks. There is Grayton beach in South Walton County and also Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. You might check those out.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • I have lived (off and on) in North-East Florida since 1983 and sailed/camped/biked/surfed/kayaked/hiked almost everything within 3-4 hour drive.

Number one choice....even though I know you said sail:

If you have a week you can kayak the upper Suwanee river or sail/float the lower. Two weeks to do both. It is an amazing experience. Upper and Lower river have very different characteristics. Tons of places to re-supply on the fly, great camping and a super easy paddle/sail/float because of good current. Lots of outfitters to help you if you need any supplies, equipment or deadhead service. Hundreds of fresh water springs for water, just a wash up or relaxation. There is almost always a 2-3mph current year round. Less in drought. Lots more (6mph+) if southeast GA just got hit with significant rain.

Not sure about bridge and powerline clearances if you want to sail/float trip the lower Suwanee.

If your group is dedicated raid style sailors coastal Georgia from Savannah to Cumberland Island is pretty fantastic. Cumberland Island is a must see and worth at least 2 days. Bring a fold-up bike to see inner island sights at Cumberland. Watch for remarkably high and low tides and strong currents. Not much in the way of support out there. If you want an independent and self sufficient experience this is a good choice.

I hope you end up in the area!

Cheers

Brad in Jax
  • Thanks guys, already covered the areas mentioned, I guess that means I’m on the right track and they’re worth doing again.

I’ve kayaked most of the Suwannee and never considered taking the cat on it but my Gcat came with 2 bimini tops and a Honda outboard which I immediately removed but apparently the previous owner used it to explore the Suwannee.

QuoteWhere are you in the Panhandle

I guess I am technically in the Big Bend of Florida, but I usually say the Panhandle because its more familiar to people. I live in Tallahassee and typically ply the waters between Shell Point and Cape San Blas. I do make to PC a few times a year, I have a good launch spot just past Camp Hellen State Park and have made it down to Grayton on occasion. Beautiful area.

Edited by jalex on May 04, 2018 - 09:00 AM.
  • I grew up in Defuniak Srings, Niceville, Valparaiso, and Destin and have lived in Panama City also. I would guess that you would launch around Inlet Beach near Camp Helen. I've always wanted to go to Cape San Blas and Mexico Beach. When we lived in Defuniak Springs, we had a Winnebago and basically lived at Grayton Beach State Park we were down there so often. I Love that whole area from around Phillips Inlet to Navarre.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Check out Sebastian and the Indian River (Intracoastal). There is a state park at Sebastian inlet and the Indian River is full of small secluded islands you can set up a small camp on.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • QuoteCheck out Sebastian and the Indian River (Intracoastal). There is a state park at Sebastian inlet and the Indian River is full of small secluded islands you can set up a small camp on.

Not a bad idea, My family owns property in Mims on the north end the lagoon, I prefer ocean sailing but it may be a nice change of pace. Probably make the fisherman in the group happy.
  • You can always go out into the ocean at the Sebastian inlet if conditions are right. It kinda gives you an opportunity to do a little of everything.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Also Fort Desoto park near Tampa is somewhere I have also wanted to go but haven't been able to work into my schedule.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Peanut Island, Palm Beach county:
    http://discover.pbcgov.or…/Pages/PeanutIsland.aspx

Launch at Phil Foster Park directly North of the island with direct access to one of the widest inlets. Phil Foster has a dedicated non power vessel launch area to rig and is usually shaded by the Blue Heron Bridge. Munion Island and Little Munion Island are a few miles South and you can pull in beach side of the Hilton on Singer Island for drinks and lunch.

Edited by cyberspeed on May 04, 2018 - 03:02 PM.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • QuoteAlso Fort Desoto park near Tampa is somewhere I have also wanted to go but haven't been able to work into my schedule.

It's awesome, best place to launch is on the west side of the causeway right before you go over the Sunshine Skyway, easy Southwest sail to the park. I find it easier than launching in the park. Short sail over to Egmont Key, although watch for the tanker traffic.
  • Wow cyberspeed..That's my stomping grounds and I didn't even think to mention it. I am from WPB and have sailed out of Phil Foster and around Peanut so many times as a kid. Great spot!!! On a side bar I see you have a Supercat 20. Nice!! I grew up on SC 17's and lived on Lake Mangonia next door to Bill Roberts. Pretty cool way to grow up.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Love the area, love the boat. Both Bill and Eric (his son) have helped me quite a bit. Mike Shappell, one of my buddies, used to sail out on Lake Mangonia. He used to campaign a G-Cat.

On a side note, I have been to DeLand Florida on a few occasions. Duane Neyer ran my racecar and his shop was in DeLand. Nice area for not having any lakes.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • It's a bit of a drive from where you are, but Pamleco Sound and Neuse River in North Carolina would be a trip I would take. It's protected by barrier islands so you'll be able to travel without dealing with the gnarly ocean conditions of the Outer Banks. Offers everything from uninhabited islands with wild horses to small coastal towns with nice restaurants.
  • Yea the entire tampa coast has great camping options. Sailing from the Dunedin Causeway you can reach the sandbar north of Anclote Key and camp, there's always a bunch of power boaters that cruise up there to camp. You can also drive south a little and hit up the Shell Key area and do a crossing to Egmont Key and check out the old forts and stuff.

Or just stay in the ICW and camp on any island you want around Dunedin/Clearwater

Edited by tamumpower1 on May 11, 2018 - 02:26 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.