Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Inter 20 rudder castings  Bottom

• Getting ready for the season and thinking about improvements that can be made to the boat... I've read that Inter 20 rudder castings have a tendency to snap at the lower end connection. Mine are 2005 models. Should I give them some preventive reinforcement or is it a waste of time/money? Planning to sail hard this year and sometimes lift boards on reaches to depower. How would you reinforce them if you thought it was a good idea? Thanks!

Edited by traphappy on Apr 09, 2018 - 06:37 PM.
  • traphappy,

The cause of most casting breakages is failure to ease traveler and jibsheet when going around the weather mark in breezy conditions, and expecting the rudders to compensate for lack of proper sail handling. If your set from 2005 hasn't broken they probably will be fine.

Nacra did release updated parts in 2014 for the Infusion Mk. 2 and Nacra 17 Mk. 1 (the c-board boat). These should fit your inter 20 directly with the exception of the tiller arm which is longer on the Inter 20. My recommendation in order of criticality for replacement parts:

1) New rubber tiller arm to tiller crossbar replacement, these parts wear out quickly and the new ones have line embedded in them so when the rubber fails you can get back to the beach.

2) New upper eyelets with nylon bushing to reduce slop.

3) New upper casting springs, the ones from the Nacra 17 are a lot stiffer resulting in less chance of a rudder kick up at speed.

4) New pintails, if you haven't done them already. These are the welded steel pins on the transom, the welds corrode and then the pins fail. The new ones are beefier, use countersunk fasteners for better alignment, and are a nice upgrade.

5) Re-seating the tiller arm to upper rudder casting, these are held in place with 2 stainless steel rivets and the aluminum corrodes resulting in slop in this connection. The former owner may have bonded the tiller arm in to mitigate this effect.

6) Replace lower casting with new style, they have a bushing in them as well and some rubber spacers to tighten up the bottom of the casting.

7) Replace the upper casting, these also have neoprene spacers in them to tighten the whole assembly up when the rudder is down, and they have adjustable release screws.

Good luck,
    Sam
  • Quote5) Re-seating the tiller arm to upper rudder casting, these are held in place with 2 stainless steel rivets and the aluminum corrodes resulting in slop in this connection. The former owner may have bonded the tiller arm in to mitigate this effect.

I drilled out the SS and replaced w Alum rivets when i ordered new upper castings last year

there is NO load on this rivet - and this will mitigate corrosion
  • Thank you Sam and MN3. You provided some fantastic advice. I'll make sure my castings are situated snugly and will implement some of the other items as well. Sam, are you still selling Seal-N-Glide? I have a 1-year-old spinnaker that has some kind of protection on it, but my understanding that recoating each year will substantially increase life. I suspect you agree.
  • Trap,

Yes I still have some Seal-N-Glide. Will PM you.

-Sam
  • I should add that I agree a re-coat is advised yearly depending on kite use. The kits I sell should do 2 Nacra 20 kites, and you don't have to mix it all at once.

-Sam
  • MN3
    Quote5) Re-seating the tiller arm to upper rudder casting, these are held in place with 2 stainless steel rivets and the aluminum corrodes resulting in slop in this connection. The former owner may have bonded the tiller arm in to mitigate this effect.

I drilled out the SS and replaced w Alum rivets when i ordered new upper castings last year

there is NO load on this rivet - and this will mitigate corrosion

Okay idea but that really depends on the fit between the casting and the tiller arm. On the older Nacra's, this isn't great and we pack them with tape, fiberglass wrapping, bondo etc.
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129739&g2_serialNumber=4

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129742&g2_serialNumber=4

this is an unused casting
  • Sam, I'd be interested in the Seal-N-Glide...pm me.

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --
  • PM sent to those who asked.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.