Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Epoxy and hardener replacing brightside.  Bottom

• Not a polyester paint like brightside or 2 part perfection paint by interlux.I bought this paint from our local paint Store and it was a 2 part paint with the epoxy in one can and hardener in the other. I spent hours and hours on the brightside with 4 coats and it did not work out. That paint goes on so thin and light sanding it was not a good paint. I spent over 400.00 and countless hours. I ended up sanding the brightside down and went with the epoxy. Put 5 coats on and wet sanded with 500 grit then 800 grit then 1200 grit. Then compound and a wax. Looks like a new car. It takes only 2 quarts and 2 quarts of harder. Also use 25 percent thinner a special brand and I can get the name later. This paint mixed is very thick. The cost is about 100.00 The brand of paint is Richard's. The owner said he did his boat 8 years ago using this paint and still looks great.I sprayed this paint must use 25 percent solventhinner. Roll and tip looked like crap on the brightside. Just spray.

Edited by ec on Mar 29, 2018 - 10:49 PM.

--
    Tom Bainbridge, Ga. Hobie16, prindle 18.2
    --
  • Is this the paint? http://www.richardspaint.com/images/pdf/literature/Garage_Shield_flyer.pdf

The other option I found is this: http://www.richardspaint.com/images/pdf/datasheets/2200%20PDS.pdf

I'm mostly curious, after doing a fair bit of reading on the subject Alexseal, Awlcraft and Imron are probably the way to go but with all 2 part paints its best to spray and that requires special gear to keep your lungs safe from Isocynates.

Edited by samc99us on Mar 30, 2018 - 09:53 AM.
  • High gloss industrial 2200 epoxy polymer. I saw his boat after 8 years after painted. Looked great. I used a respirator in an open barn with good ventilation. It's as simple as this, the paint was simple and cheap and turned out great. My first painting experience painting. I am just saying I hate it when people get ripped off from the so called expensive marine paint.Although west systems fiberglass is good. The other mess cost me a fortune. Note this is a two part paint,mixed equal,set for 30 minutes add the correct thinner and stir for 5 minutes. Thinner is a keystone methy, ethanol.

Edited by ec on Mar 31, 2018 - 09:47 AM.

--
    --
  • Tom,

Looks good, probably the same base as some of the marine coatings. Can you share tips on painting, i.e the thinner/reducing agent and what spray setup you used?
  • After sanding I mixed the 2 part paint with 25 % ketone methyl ethyl thinner, sprayed a thin coat then sprayed 5 coats. Wet sand and then compound then wax buffed. I am not very good at this but it turned out good.The finish product of brightside looked like crap. Sanded it all off and started over. It's basically polyurethane not epoxy. The other is epoxy and will last much longer.Hope this helps. By the way, I used a good respirator and in a shed with good ventilation. Also the epoxy does not run to bad actually not at all.bought a home depot spray gun used the smaller tip.

Edited by ec on Apr 02, 2018 - 05:15 PM.

--
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.