Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Buying out of state  Bottom

• I found a sail boat to buy out of state, and I want to make sure I get all the necessary paperwork covered. The boat is in CA and I will bring it back to AZ to license the trailer. Does anyone here know if I need anything beyond a bill of sale and title for the trailer?

Brett

--
    Brett
    2012 Goodall C2 with 2014 Hulls (warranty)
    1992 Hobie 18 w/ SX Wings (Sold)
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • Hey Brett,Pretty sure if you have titles and a bill of sale for both you should be good to go.I brought a P19 into CA from Texas with that and all was good.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • Thanks.

--
    Brett
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • does AZ require registration of the boat?
    If so you will need a title of the boat too (you should try to get one regardless if possible, may make selling it easier in the end)
  • MN3:
    No, since it does not have a motor. It wouldn't be registered with AZDOT anyway, but with Fish and Game instead (if it had a motor).
    But, to cross into Mexico (where registration IS required), I have to tell F&G that I have a 0hp motor on it so they will give me a registration to make the border guards happy.
    If there is a CA title, I will certainly take it, but my understanding is that there is some kind of exception in CA for "race boats".

--
    Brett
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • QuoteNo, since it does not have a motor. It wouldn't be registered with AZDOT anyway, but with Fish and Game instead (if it had a motor).

The reason i said "may make it easier in the future" is

if you try and sell it in the future - you may limit yourself to states that don't require a title/registration
    and those states may change their laws in the future

in fl they used to not require registration. so most didn't even keep/sell with a title ( cheap ass sailors)
    that law changed and now MANY of us own boats without the paperwork to sell them (and if fwc/coastgaurd/sherrif feel crabby can probably ticket/confiscate vessile/keep without since we don't have proof of ownership

ymmv
  • I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure what I can do execpt keep the old CA title, which would be in someone else's name. ADOT doesn't issue titles.
    Here's the response from ADOT:

ADOT Response: Good morning. Thank you for your inquiry. MVD does not title or register boats. You will need to contact Game and Fish at 602-942-3000 for assistance with the boat. In order to title and register the trailer you will require the title or MCO. Thank you for using our email service. Have a nice day.
    3/9/2018 9:39:28 AM

--
    Brett
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • gotcha -
    cool - enjoy
    ps what kinda cat? (or non cat)

QuoteI understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure what I can do execpt keep the old CA title, which would be in someone else's name. ADOT doesn't issue titles.
    Here's the response from ADOT:
  • C2.

--
    Brett
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • I don't know of any state that doesn't require registration letters/numbers on vessels 14 feet and larger, motor or not. In my state a vessel that is powered by anything other than human, has to be registered, my 11 ft Jon boat has to be registered even if it has a trolling motor, but it doesn't require any registration if it is human powered. Weird stuff!!! When I registered my boat, I was asked if it had a motor, I said no, then they asked, what do you do if the wind dies, I replied, umm, you paddle. Anyhoo, it seems each state has their own set of rules concerning this.

Edited by martyr on Mar 10, 2018 - 09:04 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Fl does not require reg #'s on the hull of a sailboat (sans motor)
  • New York also does not require numbers on the hull if no motor.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • In California:

Boats - anything over 8' will need a registration and a title.... all you will need is the title signed by the current owner.... If the boat is being sold as a bailment sale, then you'll need to get a bill of sale... Be sure to use the official CA form for this... it will make things a lot easier when you take it get registered..

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/b04d574c-a959-4160-953b-faf62a66cd3a/reg135.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Sometimes owner will lose the paperwork, and it if is older that ten years it may fall out of the system. This was the situation with the Prindle 18 I bought a while back... not an issue is you use the "official" paper work plus I had a affidavit form the previous owner stating the facts.

Trailers - there are two routs in California for this; PTI which is basically a registration that is good for five years.. this does not require a title.. Or a title along with the PTI sticker... I go with the title as it make transferring the ownership so much easier... With the PTI again you'll need the Bill of Sale, the PTI registration, and it wouldn't hurt to get a release of liability form from the current owner..

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/503960c5-6d95-4e5f-b123-3f584e16c012/reg138.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=503960c5-6d95-4e5f-b123-3f584e16c012

Edited by JohnES on Mar 10, 2018 - 12:24 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Good info John; thanks.

--
    Brett
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • MN3Fl does not require reg #'s on the hull of a sailboat (sans motor)

pknapp66New York also does not require numbers on the hull if no motor.

Well, there ya go.

I remember now that when we lived in Niceville, my H14 didn't have registration letters/numbers on it.

Edited by martyr on Mar 11, 2018 - 12:44 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Looks like the laws have changed a little again in fl

All vessels registered and titled in Florida must display three types of identification:

Florida registration number
    Hull identification number
    Registration Decal
    https://www.flhsmv.gov/mo…ls/numbering-and-decals/

current law (only excerpts that are relevant):

https://www.flhsmv.gov/mo…l-titling-registrations/
    Exemptions from Titling -
    Non-motor powered vessels less than 16 feet in length.
    Vessels used exclusively on private lakes and ponds.

Exemptions from Registration -
    Non-motor powered vessels less than 16 feet in length.
    Non-motor-powered canoe, kayak, racing shell or rowing scull regardless of length.
    Vessels used exclusively on private lakes and ponds.

Edited by MN3 on Mar 11, 2018 - 11:10 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.