Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hi Guys! Complete and Utter Noob Here!  Bottom

• Hey everyone! I'm an eleven year old kid living on Long Island. I've been sailing with the junior sailing program near me for two years now, and I'm looking to buy my first boat. I was looking at monohull dinghies, like the Optis and 420s, but none of them offer the thrill I'm looking for, but beach catamarans do. I'm looking to buy a good, cheap secondhand NACRA 5.2 or Hobie 14. If you hae any advice or suggestions,
    please tell me. Thanks in advance! icon_smile
  • Saw you over on the Sailing Anarchy thread -- welcome to Beach Cats!

This is far for you, but gives you a good idea of what a mint-condition Hobie 14 looks like: https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/d/2004-hobie-cat-hobie-cat-14/6493451171.html

Keep in mind what you see on Craigslist is not always what you get... Definitely ask for a seller to send pics and a video if possible before you travel too far (and talk to them by phone with an adult -- you can evaluate a lot by how how much someone is willing to disclose over the phone, vs. if they avoid answering on specifics). This boat for example is posted on Craigslist in 2 different cities in Indiana -- which is a bit suspicious but sometimes happens for legit reasons...

Closer to home, but may be missing sails, rigging & trailer: https://southjersey.craigslist.org/spo/d/hobie-14/6467418686.html

Other one, looks in mediocre condition and expensive for what it is. If it had nice sails, could be interesting however (a good hosing and scrubbing down can do miracles to a dingy looking boat): https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/boa/d/14-hobie-catamaran/6514486443.html

No pics, but description sounds like a very reasonable boat: https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/hobie-cat/6470141688.html.

Be patient! There are many beach cats on sale, take the time to wait and find the right one for you and your location.

--
    SL
    Nacra Inter 20 (sold)
    2017 Race to Alaska "Team Ketch me if u can"
    - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TeamKetch/
    - Race video highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTWp4DP0VcA
    Sausalito CA
    --
  • Spend some time searching this forum for what to look for in a used cat. There are many good threads regarding hull soft spots and rudder quality.

QuoteBe patient! There are many beach cats on sale, take the time to wait and find the right one for you and your location.

+1 !!
    It took me a while to find mine, though I was looking for a boat in good condition.

If you have some size, a good crew, and the winds in your area are not too bad, you might look at a Hobie 16. The Nacra 5.2 has some size on it compared to a Hobie 14, (and boards) but maybe is easier to solo (others can chime in).

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Also, would I be able to cartop a Hobie or Nacra 5.2? We don't have a trailer and my parents are unfamiliar with driving with one.
  • commodorepenguinautAlso, would I be able to cartop a Hobie or Nacra 5.2? We don't have a trailer and my parents are unfamiliar with driving with one.

Surely you jest! icon_lol

These are 8-foot wide boats 14-16 feet in length with a 20+ foot mast. No car-topping allowed. Get the trailer.

Edited by tominpa on Mar 08, 2018 - 11:20 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • You can always try, but not recommended.
    http://turtleislands.net/tmc/truckerseye1.jpg

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • You really need to find someone who's familiar with beachcats to help you get started (in person). Surely there are some beachcat sailors somewhere near you....and most are more than happy to help. Best case is to get involved with a group where you can learn from others and get familiar with different boats before buying one.

Also, do you even have a good place to launch? Beachcats are made to be launched from a sandy beach. It can be very difficult to launch from a boat ramp (unless there's a beach close by to paddle to before rigging). I'm not trying to discourage you....just make sure you're aware of a basic need...especially since your ability to get you and your boat around will be somewhat limited.

Keep looking and good luck!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Jerome, there is a sandy beach near me, it's called Jones Beach, and they have parts where I could launch a beach catamaran.
  • You might want to check out Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club (www.fleet250.org). They aren't too far from you and you would have an opportunity to meet a bunch of experienced sailors and check out 50+ boats which are stored on the beach. They would be a good source for information and I would bet you could even arrange a ride with someone to get a feel for cat sailing before you buy a boat.

Another way to get some experience before you buy would be to get in contact with the local racing circuit (Hobie Division 11 for example) and find someone who needs a crew. There's almost certainly someone looking for an enthusiastic pre-teen to run the front of the boat.

I would also caution you on seeking out a "cheap" boat. There are a lot of cheap Hobie 14's out there, for example, that should probably be in a dumpster - not being sailed as someone's first boat. When it comes to boats, often you get what you pay for. Buying a particular boat just because it's "cheap" is a recipe for headaches. Try to get someone who's experienced, who knows what you want, and who knows what to look for in a used boat to go with you. Get the boat that's right for you.

As far as car topping goes, yes it's been done, but it would be a lot of work. The only pictures I've seen have been from back in the 70's/80's when cars were bigger and had gutter mounted roof racks which were strong enough to support 300-400Lbs of boat. The only boat I could realistically see this being done with today would be a Hobie Wave which is designed to be easily disassembled. Bottom line - get a trailer, there's a learning curve, but no big deal really.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on Mar 09, 2018 - 04:11 PM.
  • +1 on the SHBCC ... those folks are great !! I would say there is literally a thousand years of cat sailing experience at the club. Also, there has got to be at least one of each beach cat ever made there. Well, maybe a slight exaggeration but you'd be pressed to prove it wrong.

Aside from the boat you can handle from a skill/weight standpoint, I would also consider what boats you are going to be sailing with. I sailed my H14 for many years with the mono fleet and no issues. Then, my buddy upgraded to a Nacra 5.8 and just like that, I was always miles behind him. That was no fun.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • +1 again on SHBCC!
  • QuoteJerome, there is a sandy beach near me, it's called Jones Beach, and they have parts where I could launch a beach catamaran.

Best to verify they allow cars/trailers/boats on the beach first - most beaches don't
  • If you want a trainer you can put in a truck bed, consider a Hobie Bravo. Car topping would present a challenge. The Boy Scouts at Lake Merriweather in VA had some. They were great for young men your age. I sailed one and I weigh in at 195lbs. It performed well.
    I started out on a H14 back in the '70s. A great little cat but the logistics were the same. Get mom to transport the boat.
    A Hobie Wave would also suit your needs. Rental establishments sell these off at end of season. That being said, they will be WELL used.
    The advice here about buying a used beater cat is good, there is nothing so expensive as a free/cheap boat. If you can find a decent used cat and are willing to spend the time and money you could end up with a good boat and a lot of good experience.
    Good luck GH

Edited by gahamby on Mar 14, 2018 - 04:58 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • QuoteIf you want a trainer you can put in a truck bed, consider a Hobie Bravo.

I would respectfully steer anyone 11, going on 12 from a Bravo.
    Rented one for the cottage about 6 years ago. No matter who was sailing, it could not beat my Bombardier Invitation,(copy of a Laser with a bigger cockpit).
    The Wave is a MUCH better boat. I have seen a Wave with 6 kids on my bay. Not breaking any records, but sailing decently. You will sink a Bravo with a full size adult & 2 kids, that is if you can find room for 3 people on it.
    I'm sure they have their place, think 8-10 year olds, but their only advantage is a furling mainsail, & small size.
    I assume you are going on 12? You will like the Wave far better, & can enjoy it even as an adult.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I think a Hobie 14 is a great choice. I feel like it is something you can handle now and still be fun to sail into your teens or after. You mentioned price was an issue and 14s around here are cheap and Waves seem to fetch a good bit more. A 14 will teach you good beachcat skills that will transfer well to another cat in the future. I think we all agree the trailer is unavoidable but there’s nothing to it and can be towed by any vehicle. The 5.2 is a lot of boat for you to start on, but a great boat to shoot for in a few years.
  • QuoteYou will sink a Bravo with a full size adult & 2 kids, that is if you can find room for 3 people on it.

I never would have considered more than one adult or two kids on a Bravo.
    I agree about the Wave, it will float a lot of people unlike a 14.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • another problem with a bravo is it's not very stable in heavy air
    I watched a very knowledgeable sailor (smaller female) unable to keep it upright trying to go upwind back to beach. she needed a rescue from a power boat

the one huge plus was "it was such a small boat they just placed it inside the back of the powerboat and drove it home"
  • I had a Hobie 14 when I was a teenager and it was a very fun boat for sure. You would definetly want to find a boat that has a trailer.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.