Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Diamond Wire Anti-Chafe Rollers  Bottom

• Ordered a new set of diamond wires from Murrays who has always given me excellent service and continues to do so in general. The wires look perfect, but the rollers they supplied are nothing more than solid black utility cart wheels, very heavy and clunky looking. In the past I have used, and like, the Ronstan PNP209 rollers. I emailed Murrays about this and was told that:

"The rollers we use for our rigging are casters, they are non-marking plastic and quite durable. These were/are standard on NACRA, Hobie and Prindle cats as well. They are real factory rollers closer to OEM. Your boat came with smaller width casters that have since been replaced by these."

I plan to cut the utility cart wheels off and install proper rollers. Any truth to Murrays comments, thoughts, opinions? I've owned and seen 1000s of beach cats and have never seen utility cart wheels as rollers.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129591&g2_serialNumber=4

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129594&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • They look vaguely familiar to what was on our Hobie 20, but it's going a long way back. They also look a lot nicer than the standard rollers that came on our H18 diamond wires and which have a tendency to crack and fall apart after a few years.

Other than being a little larger than one you plan to replace with, what's the big deal? I'd be more concerned about accidentally nicking the wire while cutting the existing rollers off and damaging a brand new set of diamond wires. This seems like making a big deal over something very minor. Once it's up in the air, you'll never notice them.

sm
  • i have seen them used on stays
    i thought it was kinda hokie at the time and kinda chuckled but murrys is verrrrrry reputable and has a lot more cat part history than i do so i would believe what they say - and certainly try them before i removed them

Edited by MN3 on Feb 16, 2018 - 01:59 PM.
  • I have one mast with each variety that Murray's sells. I think they get $6 apiece for the black wheels and $36 for a set of the white Harken wheels. When I needed new ones for the all-aluminum mast I bought, I went for the cheap black wheels, and they work just as well.

Sure, the Harken wheels are prettier, but if the person I'm trying to impress can see them close up, I've just dumped the boat on their head and they are probably pretty unimpresssed already. :p

Randii
  • It looks like the black ones are wider than the white ones in the picture. If you have sail material rubbing against these, I would think wider is better, as it reduces the force/area on the sail, which is the whole point.

--
    Brett
    2012 Goodall C2 with 2014 Hulls (warranty)
    1992 Hobie 18 w/ SX Wings (Sold)
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • If you can spin it during a quick tack, you might even get some favorable gyroscopic effect from them helping you fly your hull even higher and steadier jojo

Edited by MN3 on Feb 16, 2018 - 04:07 PM.
  • MN3murrys is verrrrrry reputable and has a lot more cat part history than i do so i would believe what they say - and certainly try them before i removed them

Agree totally. Murrays is great. I've been a satisfied customer for over 20 years. They're rigging is top shelf, Joel most definitely is a master at it. This just looked hokey to me.

I like the Ronstan type rollers better as they are lighter, go on in halves over the wire (easy to install/remove) and are larger in diameter (easier on the sail with gentle rounded edges). About $12 each.

http://www.apsltd.com/shr…feline-roller-white.html

MN3If you can spin it during a quick tack, you might even get some favorable gyroscopic effect from them helping you fly your hull even higher and steadier

Mmmmm, didn't think of that as an advantage. May just go with tractor wheels icon_lol

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.