Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Gcat 5.7 standing rigging  Bottom

• Went to order standing rigging from Salty Dog for my Gcat 5.7. They have 269 inches for the shrouds and I have 245.5 inches from what I measured. They have 243 3/4 inches for the forestay and I have 226 inches. Bridle wires are the same at 40 inches. My mast is 28 feet. Any thoughts? I know Salty Dog has been doing what they do a long time. I guess it is possible previous owner used a different mast\rig? Anyway, I guess the thing to do is order the measurements I took. Thought maybe I had a 5.0 rig, but those lengths don't match the 5.0 rig either.
  • Hi Jalex.

I think I remember hearing there are 2 mast lengths for the G-Cat 5.7. One is the stock mast and another a little shorter for the rental market.

Maybe you have the rental mast?

I am sure someone smarter than me will weigh in shortly...

brad in jax

Former G-Cat 5.7 owner
  • bradinjaxHi Jalex.
    I think I remember hearing there are 2 mast lengths for the G-Cat 5.7. One is the stock mast and another a little shorter for the rental market.

you are correct - the rental mast is a few feet shorter. i can't recall if its 26 or 24 but i know they were around
    so first step would be to measure the mast

also:
    there are defiantly different ways to rig the forestry, and different attachment hardware for stays that would change things a little (but not by 25")

different ways i have seen a g cat forestay rigged:
    some attach a furler, some don't
    some use a bridal some attach to a eye strap to the bow .(at least on the 5.0, sans furler)
  • Mast is 28 feet, bridal wires mounted on tangs to the outside edges of front crossbar. No furler. Ordered new rigging based on my measurements, just find it strange.
  • Oh Lord, not again..... wall

MN3

you are correct - the rental mast is a few feet shorter. i can't recall if its 26 or 24 but i know they were around
    so first step would be to measure the mast

also:
    there are defiantly different ways to rig the forestry, and different attachment hardware for stays that would change things a little (but not by 25")

different ways i have seen a g cat forestay rigged:
    some attach a furler, some don't
    some use a bridal some attach to a eye strap to the bow .(at least on the 5.0, sans furler)

Edited by jsb4g on Jan 29, 2018 - 09:44 PM.
  • 28 foot mast is standard length for a GCAT 5.0, but with longer hull the standing rig would also have to be
    longer than the 5.0 rig. So probably nothing off the shelf.
    Some variability in the builds also exist. I ordered new standing rigging for my 1987 GCAT 5.0 from Salty Dog and the mainsail halyard ferrel or bead that is swaged onto it, that fits in the clip at the top of the mast was 3 inches off. It didn't engage in the clip it needed to be another 3 inches farther from the top of the mainsail haul bolt.

--
    82 GCAT 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.