Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Main halyard lock - easier set?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I had a Hobie 18 that I bought new in the early eighties, Must have had the main up and down hundreds of times the first three or four years of use, never with a issue. I took up windsurfing and didn't use for many years and when I did it would get stuck sometimes. I finally figured out that I used to rotate the mast opposite the direction the hook was on to unlock and rotate a little to the direction it was on if I had problems hooking. I was just rotating the mast without paying attention to direction. It is very important to know what side your hook is on. On older boats owners will switch the side when the rivets come loose. Also different manufactures will have it on different sides. A low stretch halyard is also important as Bill points out. Twist in the line could help or hurt depending which way the line is trying to force the ring. If the hook is bent or loose can also cause problems. As I found out myself and others pointed out here if you are having problems, you need to see up there what's going on with the hook. Most cellphone are capable of videoing what's happening if you have someone to help record. The hook and ring method is a very cheap and effective way to secure the main. I have gone to a two to one halyard system with a swivel cam cleat at the base of mast because of several reef points on several of my boats though. There can never be too much wind, just to big of sail .

--
    Tomcat 6.2
    Supercat 20 / 17
    Searunner 16 Tri home built
    --
  • Andinistahttps://images.trapout.com/images/large/01-4216.jpg?width=475

This is what i use on my 5.5 - knot MUST face aft or i am struggling to get it on the hook and not getting the sail down without flipping my boat on the beach as the knot interferes with the hook
  • MN3
    bill40421SEIs your halyard line a non stretch or low stretch line? Maybe that is the issue? doh

Dana's boat was previously owned by our local sail shop owner (who had been sailing for over 50 years i think)- I know him well and have even raced /crewed with him. he would never put a stretchy line on a halyard

i would be shocked if it wasn't robline xls

It's a yellow/green fluorescent colored line. that's about all I know about it, but it isn't very stretchy. I'm sure you're right about the technique as well. If the wind shifts just slightly or the mast isn't fully rotated, it just doesn't come off. I just need to keep practicing.

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • Quotef the wind shifts just slightly or the mast isn't fully rotated, it just doesn't come off. I just need to keep practicing.

That's a good thing ... the ring should only come off in a very small range f

it may be worth taking a pic of the hook (while the mast is down) and posting it here for other dart owners to comment on it's placement

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.