Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sailing tip needed  Bottom

• Hello everyone, I will be trying out my reconditioned prindle 18.2 in about 8 weeks. I have logged around 150 hours on a hobie 16. It has been many years since I sailed. I bought this boat to take out my son's who are grown and obviously I love sailing.I am 65 but fit for my age.I wanted to get some imput about starting out again. Does anyone recommend just not using jib at first or any other ideas.Thank you Ec

--
    Tom Bainbridge, Ga. Hobie16, prindle 18.2
    --
  • QuoteI am 65 but fit for my age.I wanted to get some imput about starting out again. Does anyone recommend just not using jib at first or any other ideas.Thank you Ec

18-2 is a great design... like a mini tornado (and very similar to my beloved mystere)
    We have a few on our beach and I have sailed one

This is a great step up in gear and design from a h16 but very manageable (with a learning curve)

does it have a furling jib? if so, rig it for sure and test it IF/when you feel comfortable ... pull it out.
    I always leave mine furled when i pull of the beach, i like to do a few low speed tacks and make sure all gear is correct before i pull it out. if not ... you can bundle it up and bring it with you or test without it and come back for it when your ready

I would be careful about weight - esp at first
    incorrect weight placement will make handling / tacking much more challenging

regardless of age ... you're gonna be using some muscles you don't normally use. i would recommend you do some core exercises and build up those major muscles (think hiking out and pulling sheets)
    maybe pull some cables at the gym too (or set up some resistance bands at home and tie a line off them)

reconditioned prindle 18.2 in? - more details please:
    have you ever rigged it?
    have you ever sailed this boat?
    Did you recondition it/ or buy it that way?
    have you dry fit all the gear to ensure it all works (i.e. boards secure up and down, same with tillers)

if its all new to you:
    I would dry rig it in a yard or at a beach/parking lot (if easy to get to) ahead of the actual sail date: it sucks to get all the gear and people to the beach to only find out you are missing a critical part or something is broken
    even pull up the sails (as long as it's not honking out)

Edited by MN3 on Jan 19, 2018 - 12:07 PM.
  • I agree with the recommendation to rig the boat on dry land ahead of time. Do this in a place away from the water if possible (i.e., your yard) so you have plenty of time to walk through the process and aren't tempted to go for a sail before getting everything sorted. Take your time to make sure everything's correct and if you can get a copy of the owner's manual, use it as a reference. Making sure that everything on the boat is rigged properly and that all the parts are there will make a big difference on the water.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you do rig the jib (for one thing, it will make tacking easier). What's most important is that you pick a day where the weather is appropriate. Try to go out on a day where there is around 5-10 MPH of breeze forecast. Enough wind so you can really get a feel for how the boat handles, but not so much that you're out of control or in real danger of capsizing. Starting out on a protected body of water, like a lake, would be preferred.

Otherwise, just go out and have fun - you've gotta start somewhere. As always, be sure to wear a PFD and appropriate gear for the temperature/weather conditions.

sm
  • DogboyOtherwise, I would suggest that you do rig the jib (for one thing, it will make tacking easier).

Agreed.
    Not using the jib will make sailing a cat more difficult.

MN3 and Dogboy have given great advice here.

This is a reference for more information on your Two. The setup and rigging manual is here also:

https://www.thebeachcats.…129572&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by klozhald on Jan 19, 2018 - 06:17 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • DogboyI agree with the recommendation to rig the boat on dry land ahead of time. Do this in a place away from the water if possible (i.e., your yard) so you have plenty of time to walk through the process and aren't tempted to go for a sail before getting everything sorted.

Great advice... and the neighbors seem to be entertained by yard-sailing. You may even find some crew!
    I do this at the beginning of each season and after any major modification... I like being close to my tools if needed, and even on a slow wind day, laying on the tramp and looking up at a full set of deployed sails is pretty pleasant... though still better on the water.

As noted, start in lowish wind and work your way up. Sailing upwind first makes it easier to get back downwind if the situation goes somehow awry.

Have fun!

Randii
  • Yes, excellent advice. I highly recommend setting up everything in your yard. Rig up everything just like you were at the beach or lake. Check all the fasteners and attachment points. This is a good time to make sure things are tight, shackles...etc. Raise the sails also. Your neighbors will get a kick out of seeing a sailboat all set up and ready to go, expect to get some questions Lol. Before raising the mast, I would suggest cleaning the mast track of any dirt and small debris. You can use dish soap and wash it out thoroughly. A clean mast track will help to make it easier on you when raising the main sail. The more you set the boat up, you will develop a bit of a system and it should get easier each time.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Great advice from everyone. I will take this advice. Much appreciated. Tom. Thanks again

--
    --
  • Location is important. A nice long uncrowded beach where you can launch and return without obstruction is comforting. Also an onshore breeze is nice, you can follow the shore on a reach, and if anything bad happens you’ll get blown to shore. March is a heck of a month to take her out, still happy to lend a hand with rigging or sailing
  • Mn3 I have not had a chance to rig the boat. It's pretty rough looking and I take it apart check glass and patch and paint. Will need a tramp,probably need a few pulleys ropes,lines and more. It's a project but I will overhaul it to look nice. I own a sew shop if sails need work and they will.I would rather had that sc18 but I'm OK with the old prindle18.2. Jalen look forward to meeting you and sailing along with someone with experience appreciate everything from you and the rest of this great crew of gentlemen.

--
    --
  • ecI wanted to get some imput about starting out again. Does anyone recommend just not using jib at first or any other ideas.Thank you Ec

My 2 cents worth and approach to things is to "ease in." Here is all the help I can offer on rigging as I'm not familiar with the boat. Definitely "practice rig" it and make sure everything is safe and works.

https://h-gens.github.io/docs/P19_18-2-1.pdf

Do your initial "get use to it and make sure it floats" sea trials on a smaller lake. Choose a day when the forecast is for 5 - 10kts. with gusts no more than 15 (I use a combo of Weather Channel, Windfinder and the NOAA low level turbulence forecasts). Take someone with you. Rinse and repeat till you are comfortable with the boat.

Next step, repeat above, but with the forecast 10 - 15kts. with gusts no more than 20.

Cheers

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • These tips are amazingly helpful. I'll be taking note of them all, for future reference.
  • As said the jib makes tacking easier, so take it, assuming it won't be too windy the first time.
    If you have troubles tacking and get caught in the irons, consider the following :
    - Backwind the jib before uncleating it (not a racing technique but in case you need it..)
    - Sometimes you miss it by little and the boat starts to go backwards, you can revert the rudders and complete the turn backwards. Otherwise the boat will return to the previous tack
    - Uncleating the main during the turn also helps.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.