Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Found: super cheap deck foam  Bottom

• http://www.sears.com/cap-…-foam-mat/p-00615593000P

Sears has these big workout mats on sale for 11 bucks. It says on the site 4'x6' but mine was bigger at 4'x8'. You get get the online price in the store you just have to remind them. The material is 3/16" thick and very similar(maybe 15% smooshier) to the EVA waffle foam murrays sells that I have on my other boats. I was doing the entire deck on my NACRA and compared to hydro turf or any alternative this is a great deal. Even cheaper than the industrial foam places online I was going to order a roll from. I could probably do the decks and rails on almost 2 boats with one roll.

The diamond texture is slightly slippery compared to the underside so I just took an angle grinder with a sanding disk on it to the diamonds so I could glue it face down and use the bottom side thats already smooth. Defintely feels good on the boat and has good traction.

I used Weldwood contact cement to hold it down, which is the same glue murrays sells in their foam kits. It's been holding my other foam on for over 2 years so should be good. Lowes has it. The small can is enough.

https://i.imgur.com/RQhxuTn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iuE5wJi.jpg

Edited by tamumpower1 on Dec 28, 2017 - 08:22 PM.
  • Hmm, that does look a steal, especially for things like beach wheels and trailer cradles (where the lack of water absorption cuts down on hull blisters). I'd prefer the diamonplate texture on the deck. How much does it weigh compared with hydro turf etc.?

Oh, what boat is that in the image? I'm guessing Hobie 18? Paint job looks phenomenal, did you spray that yourself?
  • I agree, the boat looks great! Tell us more!
  • samc99usHmm, that does look a steal, especially for things like beach wheels and trailer cradles (where the lack of water absorption cuts down on hull blisters). I'd prefer the diamonplate texture on the deck. How much does it weigh compared with hydro turf etc.?

Oh, what boat is that in the image? I'm guessing Hobie 18? Paint job looks phenomenal, did you spray that yourself?

It weighs literally nothing. Same as hydro turf/eva foam etc. I had a fan going in the garage for the glue fumes and the foam kept blowing around...

If you feel the material you'd see what I mean. The diamond texture is almost a different foam fused to the foam underneath. It's still grippy but not as good as the natural foam it's mostly made from.

The boat in the picture is my 18 square. I sprayed it a few months back with regular oil based rustoleum and wet sanded/DA polisher it. It was gray when I got it.

https://i.imgur.com/ZZob7Go.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ovn7knD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nepgTmX.jpg
  • Great tip. I just ordered 3 mats for lining bunks, sail boxes, etc. Not sure I'll use on the decks until I see how UV and wear resistant it is. I've been through the nightmare of removing old hydroturf off the decks...
  • Sweet Ride ...... when you going to let me sail the brakes off? haha

--
    Still looking for a good used Catamaran
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • sailerrickSweet Ride ...... when you going to let me sail the brakes off? haha

Too late. Brakes already done caught fire and fell off. There’s an H18 in claimed good shape on the Tampa craigslist for less than 2k. You should just get that and join the fleet. The club in Jacksonville just got another one a few days ago too.
  • Great looking boat Matt. Nice job on the paint also.

--
    1991 Nacra 18 square
    1979 Prindle 18 "Tigger"
    --
  • i'm curious to see how hot it gets in july
    i can't even sit on my grey hulls in summer

btw the hangover race was moved to next week (in case you didn't know)
  • Wow beautiful work.I hope to do something like this to by 18.2 prindle. I have my work cut out for long spring overhaul. Thanks for showing your nice art.

--
    Tom Bainbridge, Ga. Hobie16, prindle 18.2
    --
  • MN3i'm curious to see how hot it gets in july
    i can't even sit on my grey hulls in summer

btw the hangover race was moved to next week (in case you didn't know)

Nacra have been shipping black hydroturf for a while now on the newer boats, it does get hot in the summer and isn't my personal preference in a hot climate but it also doesn't stain nearly as easily as the gray from what I have seen and heard.

I'm with Krantz though, this is great for a variety of boat related applications but send us some photos a year from now with extensive UV exposure..or do a test, stick a piece out in a sunny spot for a few months.
  • QuoteNacra have been shipping black hydroturf for a while now on the newer boats, it does get hot in the summer and isn't my personal preference in a hot climate but it also doesn't stain nearly as easily as the gray from what I have seen and heard.

I've only seen the grey used.

I am serious that i can't sit on my grey hulls here in florida in the summer - i had to cover the decks with white non skid

SLO (my least fav vendor in the world) has a video showing temps of different color tramps in the cali sun: the range is 113 for black tramps vs 74 deg for white fabric

amazing range
  • Yes, curious about the ability to hold up in sun/UV. Please keep us posted.
    I attempted using black and blue neoprene on a monohull deck a few years back and within 3 months had to strip it off as it didn't hold up well, and I was covered in black and blue dye every time I sailed it. Might have been some of my rough racing that caused the black and blue - but not likely.
    I replaced it with hydroturf and have been pleasantly surprised how well it has held up for 2+ years. This boat is totally left out in the sun for 7 months of the year.
    If this stuff holds up - it is far cheaper than hydroturf.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • MN3
    QuoteNacra have been shipping black hydroturf for a while now on the newer boats, it does get hot in the summer and isn't my personal preference in a hot climate but it also doesn't stain nearly as easily as the gray from what I have seen and heard.

I've only seen the grey used.

I am serious that i can't sit on my grey hulls here in florida in the summer - i had to cover the decks with white non skid

SLO (my least fav vendor in the world) has a video showing temps of different color tramps in the cali sun: the range is 113 for black tramps vs 74 deg for white fabric

amazing range

Found the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsXEEXKg38Y
    124 deg F for the blue vinyl trampoline installed on a boat. 116 for a piece of black vinyl, blue is 109, grey is 99, red is 89, and white is 69. This is in July in the shade on a 70 degree day. Nacra are using a mix of white and blue on the N17 Mk. 2, which is probably fairly reasonable temperature wise. Florida is tough in the summer, lots of water helps.
  • i don't miss my h18 with the black mast
    that was a palm-burner if i forgot the gloves

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.