Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anyone sail the lower Potomac River  Bottom

• My wife and I are proud owners of a new (to us) Hobie 16. We are looking for good launch sites within 90 minutes of Woodbridge.

Thanks

edited by: NOVA-Cat, Jun 03, 2008 - 09:56 AM
  • Nova, check out these two sites: www.potomacsouth.com. & www.campmd.com The first site will lead you to Dan Evans, a fishing guide from St George Island, MD, who sails a Hobie 20. His father owns a campground that the other address will open. The campground is on the beach and looks like a great place to sail. You'll see pictures of some of Evans' old cats there. Hope this helps. icon_smile
  • Just got back onto the Beachcats site (been a long a filled-with-other-things year) and I'd like to throw my recommendation in for Leesylvania State Park (maybe 15 minutes from your house?). I've sailed two of my three 'cats (H16 & H18) there for the past seven or eight years (mostly during the middle of the week when I can take a day)--cuts down on the powerboat congestion. Because the Occoquan and Potomac come together there, there is a large sailing area with great wind most of the time. The ramp on the left side is my personal favorite and it's not a big deal to get in and out of.

Parks Schaefer
  • Thanks Parks. I saw it on satellite view I think I thought the marina was the launch site and would be challenging to get out of the mouth of the little bay there. On second glance that place looks really good. We launched from Pohick bay, it was a nice ramp/dock but the water was so dirty I didn't want to step in it.
  • NOVA,

I agree re Pohick Bay--been there, done that, have the T-shirt & won't go back. I've never had trouble getting out at Leesylvania (unless you count the time I forgot to install the hull plugs--we were decks awash by the time we passed the breakwater). Got back OK--was redfaced, but if you haven't done that yet, you probably will, it's not really that uncommon. The only thing that I've found to be careful of at LSP is ensuring that you turn North (up river). The current is sufficient that if the wind dies and you are downriver of the marina it could be a tough pull back.

parks

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.