Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Newbie in need for someone to train me to sail a Hobie 20 Miracle  Bottom

• Well guys I ended up buying a 1997 Hobie 20 Miracle .......... I didn't steal it, but I think I got a decent deal .....$3400. I know its one heck of beast pray for a newbie to take on, but I wanted something that would handle well sailing the ocean waters around the beaches in Jacksonville FL.

Any Volunteers?

--
    Still looking for a good used Catamaran
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • It’s a fantastic boat Rick. Fast and stable. Great in light winds. Easy to fly a hull. Fun to race too.

Sooner or later, you would have lusted after one. icon_biggrin

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • I hate to say this, but the Miracle 20 is going to be a challenging, if not overwhelming and potentially dangerous, beginner boat. Many very experienced racers gave up on it due to how punishing it can be on the crew. In winds up to around 10-12 mph you will be ok and the speed and efficiency of the boat will probably make learning pretty easy. But once the wind starts getting into the teens the boat is going to really come alive and without the proper skill set and reaction instincts, you’re going to be spending a lot of time on your side.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Miracle and really enjoyed sailing it for the 10 years we owned and raced one. But I would rank it somewhere near a Tornado or A Cat in terms of how “beginner oriented” it is. It is not a boat to be bashing into the beach or flying wildly out of control on.

Finding someone experienced to sail with you is a good first step. Hopefully you can also find someone experienced to help you properly rig the boat. I would also suggest you get a furler for the jib if you don’t already have one so you can easily depower the boat on the water. Make sure you have a dependable righting system and (it pains me to say this) you may also want to consider adding a Hobie Bob to the mast.

sm
  • These boats can quickly sail away from you in a capsize situation. So lifejacket with waterproof VHF in pocket are standard equipment.

Edited by traphappy on Dec 20, 2017 - 11:49 AM.
  • Nice machine gun you have there. icon_lol You are in Jacksonville for goodness sakes. Go to the Rudder Club and get with the cat sailors there to help. That Hobie 20 is not something you want to be learning off the beach. At the Rudder Club they have chase boats, which is what most refer to as rescue boats. You will be in protected water. That means waves will not try to ruin your boat. There are countless reasons to start out with more of a controlled environment before attempting the beach. When I want to make fun of good sailors, I have them take my cat out in the surf. There they really learn how to be humble. And, some of the cat sailors there can actually sail icon_biggrin

Edited by bruiser on Dec 20, 2017 - 02:39 PM.
  • Thanks for the input guys ..... I definitely will be start my training in the saint John's river on light windy days. Will be very difficult boat to train on but will be no need to upgrade!

Any takers on sailing it?

--
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • I will join you anytime, I will send you my contact information

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Couple thoughts:

1) I know 1 or 2 good sailors at our club who learned to sail dinghys on Nacra Inter 20's; it can be done, just stay in lighter conditions for a few months unless crewing for someone experienced. I would also set aside $750 today for replacement parts when you break something.

2) get some time with an experienced racer. There is a lot of misinformation floating around clubs and you will learn more correct information more quickly from someone who has been racing competitively for a long time.
  • I am part of a pretty active H20 fleet 6-8 boats in Charleston. There is a Facebook page. We have a handful of local regattas we participate in. If you made the trip up to sail with us, I'm sure you'd leave with a ton of knowledge. The H20 is a powerful boat that should be respected but it is manageable. There are a couple of 20s here sailed by teenagers.
  • I'll be at the Rudder Club in Jax sometime in Jan I think. Bring that out, I'll happily sail the brakes off it for you. Nothin to be scared of, God graced you with a spare of most of your bodily components so if one gets broken off you are still good.
  • Congrats on the 20!! Great Boats! Make sure standing rigging and trap wires are new or near new - they take a beating! The jib furling setup helps a ton. Its amazing how fast you'll coming into the beach and accelerating off the beach with both sails begging for wind. Upwind you can keep the daggers up about halfway, you'll go slower but wont be flying a hull 30 feet away from the beach in anything over 13mph icon_biggrin

Start off slow.... things happen QUICK!

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • @ nohuhu
    I'm a forward thinker ......:)
    @ Dogboy
    I like a challenge..... :)
    @ tamumpower1
    LMBO ...... Thanks for the warning! By the way love the boat names it says a lot ....LMBO
    @ fxloop
    Jib Furling Setup: Yes will have to see if I can find a used one in good condition.
    @ samc99us
    I'm rather methodical and detail orientated in everything I do....should make for a good sailor ....... I work in the engineering field if that matters ..... :)
    @ klppurdy
    Thank you ......Will contact you
    @ nbostic
    Facebook link?

If I missed you ......Thanks for all the input guys!

--
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • https://www.facebook.com/CharlestonH20/

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.