Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Quantity of Catamarans for Sale based on Season  Bottom

• I'm in the market for a used Catamaran in the Jacksonville FL area. Would be great if I had a idea of how the used market fluctuates in the number of catamarans up for sale based on the season.

Example:
    What time of year do you tend to see more postings for used catamarans for sale?
    What time of year do the postings tend to dry up?

Winter
    Spring
    Summer
    Fall

--
    Still looking for a good used Catamaran
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • I have a NACRA 6.0 NA (20 ft) for sale and I am in Delray Beach Fl 33444
    Will be posting it on this site when I take some photos this weekend
  • end of season (where it gets cold) is the best time to buy (or middle of winter) when there is little to no demand
    spring summer is the most expensive time as demand is highest - but it's all relative as cat sales are way down
    and SUP and windsurf/kite are way more in style these days

I wouldn't try to time it, i would search for the best boat for your needs

PS i have a 20' mystere 6.0 with wings for sale in the classified and I need to sell it :) and may be flexible o0n cost (i have 2 cats)

http://www.thebeachcats.c…/p15090-mystere-6-0.html

https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/data/1/15.jpg
  • MN3I wouldn't try to time it, i would search for the best boat for your needs

Agreed. The "market" doesn't fluctuate much. Mostly availability fluctuates.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • We sail here year round, as you folks do in Florida.

I find that year end through January are the months more cats bubble up, due to club storage fees coming due at the beginning of the year. Owners have to write that big check, or stick someone else with the expense, on a boat that ain't gettin any younger. (The owner may be over the hill too). schaem sleep

Quality varies quite a bit, and sometimes folks will buy a marginal boat and "sink" it, just to get its coveted storage spot.

Buying early in the year might net you the best deal on a good boat with a good spot, if that's what you want.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • It also depends on what you are looking for and what price range you are targeting. There is a big difference between a modern F18 and a Hobie 18 (for example), both in terms of cost, availability, target buyer, and use season. I'd say there are more boats bought and sold in the spring than most any other time of the year.

Edited by samc99us on Dec 16, 2017 - 03:03 PM.
  • I always felt I got a little bit more for my boats I have sold in the spring. In the last 10-15 years I think it has become harder to find good quality well cared for boats.

It is regional as well. Here in Florida I see good boats year round. When I lived in Virginia Beach, VA it was rare to see a boat for sale in the winter months.

Samc99us is right when he said there is a huge difference between a F-18 and a Hobie 18. But I wanted to emphasize HUGE! They are very very different animals.

I think it is more important to find the right boat in the right condition that does what you need it to do.

Right boat checklist:
    wet or dry ride
    boards or no boards
    complex sail plan or simple
    cruiser or racer

right condition checklist:
    soft spots on hulls
    running rigging condition
    standing rigging condition
    condition of sails
    condition of rudders
    condition of trampoline

Dont forget to value the extras: PFD's, handheld VHF, anchors, harness, outboard bracket, helmet, drybags, spares, trailer all have value.

Brad in Jax
    G-Cat 5.7 (for sale)
    Stiletto 27 CE (project boat)
  • I’ve always found good deals as the year ends. People realize they didn’t sail much during the year, want the garage space back, Christmas bills make the wallet feel thin, maybe just want to simplify life for the new year.

If you aren’t picky about model something in good condition with some spare parts and other goodies is bound to show up soon.

If you have a specific model in mind my best advice is be prepared to travel, a wide radius will benefit you much more than any season would. Out of town buying has complications but just do whatever due diligence you can and enjoy the adventure.

Good luck, let us know what you find
  • I would say there are good deals year round, but the fall winter do present a better buyer's market than a seller's market not that there is a seller's market with beach cats or any boat for that matter.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Well guys I ended up buying a 1997 Hobie 20 Miracle .......... I didn't steal it, but I think I got a decent deal .....$3400

Now being a newbie I need someone here in Jacksonville FL to teach me how to sail this beast!!!

Edited by sailerrick on Dec 19, 2017 - 10:43 PM.

--
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • If that is the one I am thinking of that is a nice boat at a very nice price. Well done! Did it come from St Augustine?

Just some quick thoughts:

Definitely a racer not a cruiser. Not exactly a starter boat but a great light air boat. It will be a handful solo in +10kts wind. Does it have the solo righting system? If not you will need two decent sized people to right it. Maybe even a righting pole or water bag.

I will be glad to help you rig the boat, launch and recover but I am not enough of an athlete to sail it in wind over 10kts.

Brad

Edited by bradinjax on Dec 20, 2017 - 07:12 AM.
  • Bought it off Craigslist .... Panama City Beach area.

--
    Jacksonville FL
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.