Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Video I put together sailing solo on my Nacra 5.2 with some drone video as well  Bottom

• https://youtu.be/OYnUwC4gHbQ

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    YouTube link to see boat in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLddinE6IorSrPpZrlvcwAjRzSIQsKYPG1
    --
  • Awesome. I used to race 5.8's and P-19's on Carlyle. I watched two 5.2's tbone each other so hard, we couldn't separate the boats until they were onshore. Great racing.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • Great video! I am guessing you had someone on shore to fly the drone out to you and then return back after the 'follow me' mode flying? A few times in the drone footage I thought it was going to go over, looks really impressive from the air. Loving the black, I have been toying with painting the spars black on my 5.2, did you use single to 2 pack paint for that, how is it holding up against abrasion and do they get too hot touch in the sun (in Western Australia so that maybe a local problem for me)? Also liking that main with the stripe to match the bows icon_smile

Thanks for sharing the vid

Anthony
  • That is a bad@$$ looking 5.2

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • QuoteGreat video! I am guessing you had someone on shore to fly the drone out to you and then return back after the 'follow me' mode flying? A few times in the drone footage I thought it was going to go over, looks really impressive from the air. Loving the black, I have been toying with painting the spars black on my 5.2, did you use single to 2 pack paint for that, how is it holding up against abrasion and do they get too hot touch in the sun (in Western Australia so that maybe a local problem for me)? Also liking that main with the stripe to match the bows icon_smile

Anthony,
    Getting the drone footage was exhausting the way I did it. I was solo, and near solo at the harbor, so I turned the drone on near shore at edge of harbor, rode my bike over to the beached boat, sailed out of the harbor and got close to shore where the drone was, once remote was connected I had it take off adjusted it to "follow me orbit" mode closed my large waterproof case that housed the remote and let her rip. I did 2 batteries like this, and then went out again after to sail. It was sooo much work. I wish I had a friend to swap batteries on land.

Boat:
    The mast and cross bars were powder coated, and the boat was painted with awe grip paint. I was extremely fortunate to have these things done by the previous owner. As far as heat. The metal cross bars can get hot to touch in the sun, the hulls however when in water and moving never seem to be hot to me personally. when sitting on land it can get hot, but I think the water cools the hulls a bit.
    Abrasion: hull paint, seems to hold up well. I very rarely beach without wheels its a last resort, usually always with wheels. crossbars and mast wear. Again, powder coated parts. front beam is in very good shape, very minor abrasions. rear is a bit different. the block does bang around in tacks and in situations that is does beat up on it. The traveler track is an area that will start to develop chips near it. On one hard it would be nice if painted because you can touch it up, but I'm sure it would get messed up fast. Really only place is rear beam from the block.

thanks for watching man,
    sail on.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • QuoteAwesome. I used to race 5.8's and P-19's on Carlyle. I watched two 5.2's tbone each other so hard, we couldn't separate the boats until they were onshore. Great racing.

OMG, poor boats, do you have any idea what years this may of happened, lots of veterans up here still.
    Thanks

klppurdy, thanks, we love this boat and are lucky to have it.

Charlie

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • You are lucky Charlie,

I have two of them, one is in near original condition (original being 1976) and the other is a little rough (1977 model). I sail the 1976 regularly in regatta's and locally in the St John's river or off the beach in the Atlantic ocean. The other...........I may have to do something crazy with it.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.