Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hiram's Haul  Bottom

• Hiram's Haul is right around the corner. This will be my first year but I have heard great things about this regatta. Please come join us.
    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sailseriespromotions.com%2Fhirams-haul-irma-update%2F&h=ATPH2FFyrkMBZHa4ZObXp5p7FkdvECaE1O_SdZP7_OGQ6jZGIGqT2HRsUEf8K2s9FlPK1XTJ_UHKLb__1_68yPqXlTxFuZrm3EqAIBytbwZPbQPMDH3-1RKPVzzWLSrDry71zhp3tA

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Better:
    https://www.sailseriespro…s.com/races/hirams-haul/

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Will see you there Pete, I assume you got your rudder fixed or replaced?

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • I sure did...I was on the water the next weekend LOL. Looking forward to seeing you as well. I noticed you had signed up the other day. I work the Saturday of the Wildcat but I plan on being there Sunday for a leisure sail.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Race Report from the PRO Warren Green

Hiram’s Hall distance Catamaran Race 2017

Twenty-one hardy souls raced the 30-mile distance run from Melbourne to Sebastian Florida, on October 28th, planning to return on October 29th. The eleven boats started, staggered in Spin and No spin fleets of 5 and 6 boats respectively. All were aware of predicted weather of changing winds and a front passing over night Saturday.
    The race began with no-spin boat’s shoving off from the beach at POW/MIA park and heading in very light winds. Before the boats could turn south and through the Pineda Bridge, winds ceased to blow, then showed up with winds in 110 degrees change of direction. This meant a predicted higher quartering head wind for the trip south.
    Spin boats took off one hour later with the winds as above growing in strength.
    All boats fought the headwinds, losing two boats to structural issues. Greg Neduriam and crew, Larry Ferber dismasted after wires separated well into the leg. Then, Will Collins and cousin Mike Collins lost a halyard and went ashore. Both recovered their boats to trailers. Larry kept the committee informed and asked to restart on Sunday with new wires. All other boats finished leg one in fare shape. All sailors were confirmed in and safe by the race committee, with some exasperating rumors. Carl and sister Ali Wiegand arrived in their 1882 Hobie 16 at the beach in Sebastian Riverside Park at 5:20PM, meaning they were on the water for over 6 hours. Ali, making her first race was exhausted and cold but, “had a ball”. She was ready for Capt Hiram’s famous Halloween party.

The party and food in Capt Hirams was good as always, but had ankle deep water on the dance floor and sand bar area. Dryer members enjoyed great food in the restaurant.
    Sunday morning came with higher winds and cloudy cooler weather with higher winds forecast. Luis Balzac and Carl Wiegand were ready in their Hobie 16’s. Five spin Boats rigged and prepared for a 11AM start. The two Hobie 16’s left the park beach and headed into the wind only to turn back facing 20 Plus winds and reporting much higher gusts. Carl and Ali went ashore on a small island, so Ali could dry out and warm up. Both boats returned safely to the park.
    Of the 5 spin boats ready to start, three decided that their bouncing and trembling boats in the water, waiting for 5th boat had enough and rolled their boats out and saved their boats from expected damage. David Reed and Gregory Neduriam took off at 11:17, but Gregory turned back within an hour to recovery his boat to trailer.
    So, after an exciting first day, hardier souls, David Reed and Mark Herendeen made it all the way back to POW/MIA park in Melbourne, arriving at 3:10 on the dot. This trip was in very heavy wind with gusting conditions. They decided to leave jib and spinnaker off the boat as others planned. They broke one rudder, and reported as many as 10 times, decisions not to turn back but the continue. Within sight of the RC after passing Pineda bridge the twice struggled to tack with that broken rudder and no jib in heavy winds at least 20 MPH and gusts much higher. Their trip was 3 hours, 53 minutes and teeth were chattering, but were very happy sailors.
    A party of 9 gathered to award American Home’s F-18 Crew the First Place Spin boat and the best correction Pennants for their hard-fought trips, down and back. Their feat will be enshrined on the perpetual Trophy as the 2017, 20th winner of Hiram’s Haul Race. Hiram’s Haul was started in 1997 and has race every year except for 2004 and 2012 due to poorly scheduled hurricanes.
    We are so proud of the strong support of Will Collin’s, a racing sailor and owner of Capt Hiram’s hotel and restaurant and excellent support of Grills restaurant support over the many years. We wish to announce great appreciation for Tom Etters who has made T-Shirts over the years and is currently under treatment for cancer. Tom, all our prayers are for your rapid recovery. You are one fine Man.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Great write-up
    thanks Kenneth

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.